PDA

View Full Version : Carpet, Fabric, and Leather Protectant/Sealant

nezff
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM
I currently have a small bottle of Cquartz's Fabric and Leather Coat. Im looking for something to use for my customer's carpets and fabric seats to repel stains, spills, and water.

I have looked into Cquartz fabric and leather coat, wolfs chemical textile coat, 303 fabric guard, and Ultima interior guard plus. I see that the 303 has the best bang for the bug overall with its pricing. The others are a leather and fabric coating hence the price differences.

I mainly want something I can offer to coat carpets and fabric seating with and possibly use a different product for leather coating. Any advice on products you guys have used would be greatly appreciated.

Jrocket
01-26-2014, 03:36 PM
I have used 303 Fabric Guard for quite some time now.

It's a good product but makes everything kinda stiff and hard. not bad just different but does the job!! I still use this alot on customers cars. Especially on those that just want some protection on their floorboard carpet.

I have since then purchased the Carpro Fabric and Leather and much prefer it as it does not give off the same characteristics of the 303. It does take a little more time to set up though. I have not used in on leather however as I have heard that is pretty permanent (not a bad thing) just not what I was looking for.

May try in on a friends car if they want to offer their leather seats for a free trial

For Leather I just Purchased the Pinnacle Black Label Leather and Vinyl Coating and highly recommend it :props:

nezff
01-26-2014, 03:45 PM
I have used 303 Fabric Guard for quite some time now.

It's a good product but makes everything kinda stiff and hard. not bad just different but does the job!! I still use this alot on customers cars. Especially on those that just want some protection on their floorboard carpet.

I have since then purchased the Carpro Fabric and Leather and much prefer it as it does not give off the same characteristics of the 303. It does take a little more time to set up though. I have not used in on leather however as I have heard that is pretty permanent (not a bad thing) just not what I was looking for.

May try in on a friends car if they want to offer their leather seats for a free trial

For Leather I just Purchased the Pinnacle Black Label Leather and Vinyl Coating and highly recommend it :props:

thanks. I looked into the Pinnacle also.

Do you spray the Carpro stuff on pretty liberal, or do you do a couple light coats? I tested it on a floor mat that is brand spanking new in my personal truck and still got some spots that soak water in instead of repel.

Wolfs Chemicals
Wolf's Chemicals nano textile sealant "Textile Coat" in action - YouTube (http://youtu.be/DkFDXabdkZo)

Carpro Cquartz Fabric and Leather
Cquartz Fabric&Leather coat - YouTube (http://youtu.be/WwK72Sp3fB8)

nezff
02-01-2014, 08:37 PM
anyone else?

Jimbo187
02-02-2014, 02:28 AM
i have used the UIGP on leather and vinyl and i love the soft smooth finish it gives. I have also noticed a reduction in dust collection. It says it can be used on carpet/upholstery but I have not attempted.

I feel it is worth the price point due to how little is needed and the quality of the finished product.

nezff
02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
i have used the UIGP on leather and vinyl and i love the soft smooth finish it gives. I have also noticed a reduction in dust collection. It says it can be used on carpet/upholstery but I have not attempted.

I feel it is worth the price point due to how little is needed and the quality of the finished product.

thanks. The carpro leather and fabric is pricey, but from what Ive read, a very good performer.

nezff
02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
what kind of upcharge would you guys consider fair for coating seats, carpets, or cloth seating? I know the carpro cquartz fabric and leather costs roughly $5.35 per ounce. You only use 0.03 oz (1.0ml) per square foot on leather, and 0.09 oz (2.7ml) per square foot on carpet and fabric.

Buying a bigger bottle yields less cost per ounce.

nezff
02-04-2014, 11:22 AM
what kind of upcharge would you guys consider fair for coating seats, carpets, or cloth seating? I know the carpro cquartz fabric and leather costs roughly $5.35 per ounce. You only use 0.03 oz (1.0ml) per square foot on leather, and 0.09 oz (2.7ml) per square foot on carpet and fabric.

Buying a bigger bottle yields less cost per ounce.

Anyone?

ZeroSP
02-05-2014, 01:40 PM
In my stable

Opt Fabric Clean & Protect
Opt Guard Fabric Pro
Opt Leather Protectant (For dashboard, plastic, vinyls etc)
PBL Leather Coating (I liked this for seats over OLP)
Opt Guard Leather Pro (Only when customer request)

nezff
02-07-2014, 02:12 PM
In my stable

Opt Fabric Clean & Protect
Opt Guard Fabric Pro
Opt Leather Protectant (For dashboard, plastic, vinyls etc)
PBL Leather Coating (I liked this for seats over OLP)
Opt Guard Leather Pro (Only when customer request)

thanks.

I still have a question for the detailers like myself. What kind or upcharge would you think is fair for coating leather seats, carpet etc..?

thanks.

Dr_Pain
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Upcharges (from your regular cleaning or wipedowns) takes into consideration time and product, expertise and liabilities. It does not take that much longer to apply a coating over applying a leather conditioner, but as you pointed out there is a significant increase of product cost over a traditional product. Some people may not feel comfortable with doing the work themselves or just plain don't want to do it... and that fetches a premium.

In performing interior leather work my package range from a basic cleaning and conditioning (normal cost between $45-$65 depending on color and number of seats).... but I have had a few instances of heavy die transfer and heavily soiled seats which after the thorough cleaning, conditioning and coating, the leather worked fetched a premium of $150 (just for the leather work). I don't do leather dying but this would add a substantial price increase.

As it was explained many times in the past (on how to price services):
1) What are you working on?
2) What are the basic 3 C's: Color, Condition and Care selected
3) What are the associated costs (time/products/liabilities etc..)
4) What do you feel you should be paid?
5) What gives you the expertise to charge a premium?
6) What will the market support?

I hope this helps give you an idea on how to price your work.

ZeroSP
02-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Upcharges (from your regular cleaning or wipedowns) takes into consideration time and product, expertise and liabilities. It does not take that much longer to apply a coating over applying a leather conditioner, but as you pointed out there is a significant increase of product cost over a traditional product. Some people may not feel comfortable with doing the work themselves or just plain don't want to do it... and that fetches a premium.

In performing interior leather work my package range from a basic cleaning and conditioning (normal cost between $45-$65 depending on color and number of seats).... but I have had a few instances of heavy die transfer and heavily soiled seats which after the thorough cleaning, conditioning and coating, the leather worked fetched a premium of $150 (just for the leather work). I don't do leather dying but this would add a substantial price increase.

As it was explained many times in the past (on how to price services):
1) What are you working on?
2) What are the basic 3 C's: Color, Condition and Care selected
3) What are the associated costs (time/products/liabilities etc..)
4) What do you feel you should be paid?
5) What gives you the expertise to charge a premium?
6) What will the market support?

I hope this helps give you an idea on how to price your work.

Agreed. Usually of course the cost of product should be considered. After that, I will take a look at the "subject's" condition, to determine is it really suitable or worthwhile for client to do so, as well as amount of extra work.

For the marketing wise, I would always try on own ride and take a 50/50 shots.

And yea liabilities... For something that you would offer warranty, there goes this saying "If one don't earn enough/adequately to justify the job, it is difficult for one to offer adequately satisfying after sales service." It is not wise to throw down the price to attract sales, only to regret and find one self in deep #### later.

mg6045
02-08-2014, 08:03 AM
303 and Wolfs fabric sealant will both stiffen up the fibers.

Cquartz and Ultima Interior gaurd will make them feel the same or softer.

Ultima Interior guard plus is the best bang for buck IMO. It works extremely well as making carpet and fabric water repellent while not stiffening up the fibers. and you dont need a lot of product. Spray it on and buff it into the carpet with the handheld foam applicator that comes with it (the hex grip one).

allenk4
02-08-2014, 12:40 PM
303 and Wolfs fabric sealant will both stiffen up the fibers.

Cquartz and Ultima Interior gaurd will make them feel the same or softer.

Ultima Interior guard plus is the best bang for buck IMO. It works extremely well as making carpet and fabric water repellent while not stiffening up the fibers. and you dont need a lot of product. Spray it on and buff it into the carpet with the handheld foam applicator that comes with it (the hex grip one).

The AGO detail of Ultima Interior Guard Plus 12 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, dash dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-12.html) does not mention fabric not carpet?