PDA

View Full Version : New black car owner and received the dreaded unrequested DISO

Pages : [1] 2

ArthaithSQ
01-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the world of car detailing. I recently bought a new black Toyoto FJ Cruiser and I was very eager and motivated to keep it looking its best. Of course, how that I have perused this forum I knew I made so many newbie mistakes at the dealership that I could have avoided.

Firstly, I picked up the truck in the evening. The black truck looked great and all glossy in the dim parking lot. We've been having overcast weather for a while now, until a few days ago the sun was shining bright and to my horror, I noticed the truck covered with swirl marks. I was pretty heartbroken at the condition of the body. But know very little about car detailing, I went to a professional detailer and asked his option. He basically told me a new vehicle should look like this. Someone butcher it by washing it improperly, causing all the swirls. He checked my roof and also commented that the transport film was taken off without much care as there are residue of the glue left.

So I went back to the dealership. They insisted that the swirls are normal and it's on every car. And that because I picked a black car, they are much more noticeable. I was prepared that a black car will take more work to maintain... but I felt like I didn't even get a chance to maintain a nice paint job as it never came with one in the first place.

After a lot of back and forth, the dealership suggested that they will re-polish it and wax it. They have already claimed that the swirls will still be there, but maybe just less obvious. Then also offered me a deal on their paint protection treatment option at half price. I'm under the impression this paint protection treatment is pretty much useless, am I correct?

As for the re-polishing and waxing... sigh... should I allow them a chance to do it? Or should I just try my hand and fixing the problem on my own? I'm willing to try and learn.

I'm baffled... am I expecting too much to have a mirror like finish on my car? The dealership kept telling me no matter what they do, the swirls will always be there.

Please help me make a sound decision.

Bill1234
01-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the world of car detailing. I recently bought a new black Toyoto FJ Cruiser and I was very eager and motivated to keep it looking its best. Of course, how that I have perused this forum I knew I made so many newbie mistakes at the dealership that I could have avoided.

Firstly, I picked up the truck in the evening. The black truck looked great and all glossy in the dim parking lot. We've been having overcast weather for a while now, until a few days ago the sun was shining bright and to my horror, I noticed the truck covered with swirl marks. I was pretty heartbroken at the condition of the body. But know very little about car detailing, I went to a professional detailer and asked his option. He basically told me a new vehicle should look like this. Someone butcher it by washing it improperly, causing all the swirls. He checked my roof and also commented that the transport film was taken off without much care as there are residue of the glue left.

So I went back to the dealership. They insisted that the swirls are normal and it's on every car. And that because I picked a black car, they are much more noticeable. I was prepared that a black car will take more work to maintain... but I felt like I didn't even get a chance to maintain a nice paint job as it never came with one in the first place.

After a lot of back and forth, the dealership suggested that they will re-polish it and wax it. They have already claimed that the swirls will still be there, but maybe just less obvious. Then also offered me a deal on their paint protection treatment option at half price. I'm under the impression this paint protection treatment is pretty much useless, am I correct?

As for the re-polishing and waxing... sigh... should I allow them a chance to do it? Or should I just try my hand and fixing the problem on my own? I'm willing to try and learn.

I'm baffled... am I expecting too much to have a mirror like finish on my car? The dealership kept telling me no matter what they do, the swirls will always be there.

Please help me make a sound decision.

The dealer is wrong, they are trying to screw you over. You can fix the swirl marks. It just takes time. As for letting them do it, dont, they caused the swirl marks in the first place. How did they get there you might ask, basically, when they washed down the car or tried to work on it, they did it wrong. Did you pay for the work done to the car, I would go right to the manager and ask for your money back, the paint coatings they use are your wax and they are usually way over priced and dont last that long . The way to cut down on and eventually have no swirl marks is proper washing,claying, etc

Just02896
01-25-2014, 11:19 PM
With a little work and patience, you WILL have a mirror like finish! Toyota paint is soft so as a "hobbyist, the PC M105 / M205 kit should be all you would need to restore and maintain a beautiful finish.

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html)

And of course a bottle of Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant to protect your hard work! :-)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

Romans5.8
01-25-2014, 11:39 PM
The way the dealer is going to 'fix' the swirl marks is probably with a rotary buffer, wool pad and some glaze. It'll be ineffective, done by someone with likely little knowledge and runs the risk of further damaging your paint. Don't let them touch it.

If it were me? I'd do one of two things;

1) Take a few weeks and really pour over this forum. Read Mike Phillips book (The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine) and buy a good DA polisher, pads, polishes, etc. Correct the truck yourself and make it look incredible and keep it that way.

2) Ask on this forum for a detailer recommendation in your area. A GOOD detailer will know exactly how to remove those swirl marks AND put the best protection on your truck. Though I would still recommend doing lots of research to make sure you don't put those marks back on the vehicle.

Good luck! I'm partial to option 1. The cost of entry-level equipment and products is about the same as a full correction from a middle of the road detailer. But, the cool thing is, once you've bought it, you can do it over and over again. Plus, having the knowledge to correct the paint means you have the fantastic knowledge in protecting and caring for it. Then you can bring the dealer your car and show them it has no swirl marks.

SYMAWD
01-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Yes the swirls can be removed, no you shouldn't let the dealer touch it, and yes the car likely arrived at the dealer with some swirls.

hernandez.art13
01-25-2014, 11:45 PM
^ I believe Romans provided some good advice. Plus if you buy your own equipment you could even have a detailer here from AG show you how to use your tools and products, plus you can always continue learning.

Also you can be bitten by the bug :D

Andr3wilson
01-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Toyota actually hire orangutans to do their dealer prep.

My 1794 Tundra was in really horrible condition. There were a ton of deep scratches everywhere and buffer holograms (although I believe this to be from the factory - normal, every car is like this). The only thing you really want the dealership doing is fallout removal (this is a spray and they don't need to touch the car) and that's that.

If you don't want to pay someone to remove the swirls, you need to do it yourself. DA polisher, some good pads and polishes will get you set in the right direction!

Romans5.8
01-26-2014, 12:50 AM
My 1794 Tundra was in really horrible condition.

To be fair, at 220 years old, perfection in the paint finish might not be a reasonable expectation of any dealer. :props:

:buffing:

dcjredline
01-26-2014, 01:11 AM
OP where are you located? I would bet that if there is someone near you on the board they would be willing to help you out. Heck if your in Upstate NY I would let you use my equipment and garage to do it...thats a big job cause those trucks are bigger than they seem. You bring the pizza and wings I provide the shop and tools!!!

Pureshine
01-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Here is pic and you should show the dealer this pic of a car I did. The car is black and the dealers are full crap.
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/kicku9/Toyota%20Tundra/D9256E60-5585-4755-832E-BC2C6B038BCF_zpsehtyuejw.jpg (http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/kicku9/media/Toyota%20Tundra/D9256E60-5585-4755-832E-BC2C6B038BCF_zpsehtyuejw.jpg.html)

ArthaithSQ
01-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpful input! I'm definitely gonna stick around the forum and learn all that I can. I live in the Vancouver, BC area. Would anyone know of a reputable detailer? I think I would go get the truck fix correctly first before tackling the correction myself. I'm gonna need some time taking in all the information available on the site.

Thanks again!

Just02896
01-26-2014, 05:55 PM
You should post a few pics of the worst of the swirls so we can gauge the severity. If they are light swirls, I would strongly recommend spending the money on a nice kit as opposed to paying someone else to do the work. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your paint more than likely only needs a light polish and sealant or wax to be clear again! From there you will probably polish once a year to clarify and remove small imperfections. Keeping black paint clear will cost you every year. If you purchase a kit, you'll be able to maintain your paint on your own. Don't be intimidated. You really can't screw up your paint with a PC buffer and fine polishes! Take the plunge and ask as many questions as you need to! :-)

ArthaithSQ
01-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Thank you for the encouragement! Hm... I have a concern though, about not having a indoor garage to do the job. Is it okay to work on the car outside? I remember YEARS ago when I had a black Suzuki, I tried waxing the car by hand... by the time I'm near the end of the job, the car was covered in dust again...

Andr3wilson
01-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys for all the helpful input! I'm definitely gonna stick around the forum and learn all that I can. I live in the Vancouver, BC area. Would anyone know of a reputable detailer? I think I would go get the truck fix correctly first before tackling the correction myself. I'm gonna need some time taking in all the information available on the site.

Thanks again!

My friend owns restoreFX in Langley, see him for a quote and let him know I sent you!

cardaddy
01-27-2014, 12:40 AM
With a little work and patience, you WILL have a mirror like finish! Toyota paint is soft so as a "hobbyist, the PC M105 / M205 kit should be all you would need to restore and maintain a beautiful finish.

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html)

And of course a bottle of Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant to protect your hard work! :-)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

Toyota black (solid color, not metallic) is single stage, and it's SOFT!

I'd not even consider hitting it with 105 as the "go to", just too aggressive.

The bad part about soft black single stage paint is it swirls really badly, really easily.
The GOOD part about soft black single stage paint is it corrects easily. Just be careful NOT to go at it with a bunch of aggressive pads and compounds right off the bat.

Chances are a white or *maybe* an orange Lake Country pad and Meguiar's 205 will correct it just fine. Switch to a blue pad and hit it with 205 again and it'll be all she'll need. OR, better yet change to Megs Ultimate Polish and a white or blue pad to finish it down. If the 205 doesn't have enough cut then you'll need a bit more. In that instance, Meguiar's D151 Paint Conditioning Cream and it'll knock it down in a single day, start to finish, single step (with a lil' wax built in to boot). Bada-bing-bada-boom. ;)

Another solution of course is Menzerna SIP 1500 or 2000 and an orange pad which can also be used as an AIO.

After either of these you'll need to decide what you're going to use for an LSP. Most will use one of a WHOLE BUNCH of great paint sealants. Megs M21, Menz PL, BFWD or WGDG (and even Megs ULW in a pinch) are all great choices.