PDA

View Full Version : Pat vs The Rotary

Pats300zx
07-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Well today after approximately 1.5 years I have had sometime to mess with my Harbor Freight rotary. I am down at the shore all week and today not being the best beach day here in the East was a perfect day to try out the rotary. The weather is kind of overcas. I knew that I would have some time this week so I brought all of my stuff down to mess around.

My weapons of choice:

Harbor Freight rotary
Sonus DAS Green pad
Sonus SFX White pad
Optimum polish
Optimum compound

Test vehicle:

Black Jeep Grand Cherokee (not the best car to start on but it beats having to use your own if you screw up) :)

I basically kept the rotary at speeds around 1500 with OC and around 1000 with the OP.

My observations:

1. Clearcoat didn't immediately fly off of the finish like I thought it would :)

2. The rotary is a great tool and I see why you guys love it. I also see how if you aren't careful in what you are doing that it can turn to diaster quickly (especially with plastic panels). I don't know if I would ever use one on something like a plastic panel.

2. I was pretty product of myself. I had no buffer hop and only had some limited splatter when I was picking up a bead of polish that I put down on the panels. I kept the rotary moving at all times and did overlapping passes. I did notice that the polishes would dry up alot faster than on a PC or UDM. I was able to remove TONS of swirls after inspection with my Brinkman.

3. I am still a few light years away from trying this on a clients car but I feel with continued practice that I will be able to match the perfection of some of the AG masters (Young Jedi voice) :righton:

Any tips that you guys want to contribute please feel free :awesome:

Nica
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Good for you Pat, see the rotary is no bigie...it just takes patiance and lots of concentration at the beginning. I enjoy my self more with my rotary and I feel that I concentrate more when polishign with the rotary...maybe it's just me.

As far as plastic panels, have no fired Pat..all you have to do is lower the rpm and away you go...you should try wool pads...much better then foam...but all in good time, first get your feet wet with the rotary then go to the wool pad...but wool pads :righton:

Sevenrd
07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Nice to hear of the success you had.

The biggest tip I can give is to practice. The more I use the rotary the more comfortable and IMO better I get with it. Initially I used it only on large, flat surfaces of the car. Now I use it on the entire car, including the bumpers.

I think getting over the fear of it helps immensely too. When I began using the rotary I feared what it could do, and therefore was hesitant in my technique. Now, rather than fear what it can do, I respect what it can do. It's made a difference.

devst8
07-04-2007, 03:53 PM
rotary is so much fun! I can't wait till I do my next one!

Pats300zx
07-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Quick question: Are you guys misting your foam pads on each panel???

Sevenrd
07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Quick question: Are you guys misting your foam pads on each panel???

I don't. But I also don't feel I have to using Optimum polishes. I don't get any hop from drying out using Optimum.

Polishes that dry quicker may benefit from a mist of QD on the pad. At least in my experience.

sparkie
07-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Congrats Pat, keep us updated. I still get hop with mine, I think its the pads....
Don't mists your pad using Poorboy's polishes. It has gum up my pads in the past.

richy
07-04-2007, 08:48 PM
One step at a time and the next thing yuo know..you're there. Like Nica said, try using wool next. On plastic, check your work often and keep a spray bottle of cold water near by to spray on the area if it gets too warm. Having said that..don't try to get it warm, just be deligent in checking the temp. I have been amazed at what I've been able to get out of plastic, just keep it moving.

ndtechie05
07-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Would you mist if using Menzerna SIP?

-Brett

BlackCoupe
07-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Congrats Pat, keep us updated. I still get hop with mine,

Sparkie--if you are getting hop, you may be trying to muscle it.

Pats300zx
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Another question for you guys. What is the best product application method? A bead on a panel or on the pad then smearing it? I have tried both and seem to get more splatter by laying down a bead.

Nica
07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I remember when I started using my rotary I would put the product on the pad and then go to work and then after watchign the video it actually shows you how to pick up the bead you put on the panel with out get any splatter...once I figuired it out there is no way I'm going back to a bead on the pad. Both methods work but speed wise I like the laying a few beads on the vehicle's surface and work away. If you do it right and you use the right polishing product you can do the entire hood/roof/door with out ever turning off the rotary. I do this now and it's fast...just keep in mind that some products dry fast sitting on the surface. For example Optimum can sit on the vehicle for many, many hours with out ever drying up....Menzerna 106FF does not dry fast but it's not as long lasting as Optimum.

Well hope this helps.