PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

ellens2
01-25-2014, 02:43 PM
I've been doing lots of reading and wondered if someone could tell me if I have enough pads. I received a Griots Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher with the following Uber 5 1/2" pads:
2 -Yellow - Cutting
1 -Orange - Med Cut
3 -Green - Polishing (I believe these are similar to the white LC)
2 - Blue - Finishing
2 -Black - Wax/Seal

I'll be using these on my Audi Q5 (hard paint) and my husbands Toyota Tacoma(soft paint). The Audi is new with only minor swirls. The Tacoma needs more work. I won't be able to do anything until the weather warms but want to make sure I have everything ready. I'll be using the following:
wash
clay
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
Wolfgang Polish Enhancer
Wolfgang Total Sealant 3.0
Which pads would you recommend for each step? Thanks in advance.

TrolleyVW
01-25-2014, 02:56 PM
I'd say more orange and the equivalent-to-white pads. You'll go through a bunch of them. Probably get a pad brush to clean on the fly and some pad cleaner for when you're done.

All the wolfgang products are too notch, I would also recommend getting Uber compound and possibly ditching the polish enhancer for something like Carpro Eraser of Menzerna Inspection.

ellens2
01-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks TrolleyVW. I do have a sample of the Uber compound that I was going to use on any area the total swirl doesn't work. Would the sample size be enough? I have an order coming with the pad brush/cleaner. Will look into the Carpro, I missed that one in all my reading.

TrolleyVW
01-25-2014, 03:27 PM
The sample size is like 3oz right? I had an 8oz bottle and did two 4 door sedans with it with, I would say, about 2 oz left. So you should be ok using it for spot correction if TSR doesn't work. TSR is a pretty good compound so I don't see you having many issues at least on the Tacoma. The only reason I suggest Uber is because of its ability to not only cut well on hard VW/BMW CC that I've done, but it also finishes basically LSP ready.

Docpeanut
01-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Sample is 2pz I believe, but a little is all that's needed. Should be plenty

ellens2
01-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks, I'm new to using a DA so I'm being cautious. I'll add another sample size to my next order just in case. Looks like I can't use the Carpro as I have VentureShield on the Audi.

Bill1234
01-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks, I'm new to using a DA so I'm being cautious. I'll add another sample size to my next order just in case. Looks like I can't use the Carpro as I have VentureShield on the Audi.

Did the dealer sell you venture shield ?

ellens2
01-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Yes, however it was installed by a different company. Is that a problem?