PDA

View Full Version : rupes 12e vs 15es

Pages : [1] 2 3

will13k7
01-25-2014, 01:19 PM
They are about the same price.

The 15es has 3mm more throw, not sure if that really makes a noticeable difference or not.

The 15es has 100 more watts too. Also not sure if that would make much of a difference.

The 12e looks easier to handle for a non-professional due to its form factor and size. It might be more versatile for this reason, but the backing plates are both 5 inches.

Maybe it just comes down to which form factor you prefer? Maybe the 15es would cut just a little faster, but are we talking just minutes? That would matter to a pro, but probably not a hobbyist.

I'm thinking about getting the 75E Mini, I'm a little torn between the 15es and 12e. The 21es's throw is a bit much for me.

Rsurfer
01-25-2014, 02:30 PM
They are about the same price.

The 15es has 3mm more throw, not sure if that really makes a noticeable difference or not.

The 15es has 100 more watts too. Also not sure if that would make much of a difference.

The 12e looks easier to handle for a non-professional due to its form factor and size. It might be more versatile for this reason, but the backing plates are both 5 inches.

Maybe it just comes down to which form factor you prefer? Maybe the 15es would cut just a little faster, but are we talking just minutes? That would matter to a pro, but probably not a hobbyist.

I'm thinking about getting the 75E Mini, I'm a little torn between the 15es and 12e. The 21es's throw is a bit much for me.

Get all of them and let us know which one you like best. :props:

mbkite
01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Look at their peformance in u tube..

swanicyouth
01-25-2014, 04:55 PM
People seem to think the Duetto's body style is a benefit because its like a PC. But, I see it the other way. The long body of the 15/21 is great for polishing wide hoods and roofs - because of the long reach. The little extra throw means even less downward pressure is needed to gain decent correction.

If your worried about ease of use - nothing is easier than the 15. If you have 1 working hand and arm you can use the 15. I'm sure the Duetto is easy as well, I just can't see what benefit it offers. The extra throw and the body if the 15 makes it an easy choice for me.

Rmd
01-25-2014, 05:01 PM
People seem to think the Duetto's body style is a benefit because its like a PC. But, I see it the other way. The long body of the 15/21 is great for polishing wide hoods and roofs - because of the long reach. The little extra throw means even less downward pressure is needed to gain decent correction.

If your worried about ease of use - nothing is easier than the 15. If you have 1 working hand and arm you can use the 15. I'm sure the Duetto is easy as well, I just can't see what benefit it offers.

Swanic, thanks for the post. I've been considering picking up one of the two to feed my detailing compulsion to buy things I want but don't really need. Your input is helpful.

Punx not dead.

TundraPower
01-25-2014, 08:03 PM
The 15ES and the Duetto are almost identical in ability. The Duetto makes up for its shorter throw by spinning much faster. The Duetto was really designed to be used as a wet sander and a polisher, and it does both very well. If you're going to use it as a wet sander don't blink your eyes...its cuts fast fast fast.

custmsprty
01-25-2014, 08:50 PM

If your worried about ease of use - nothing is easier than the 15. If you have 1 working hand and arm you can use the 15. I'm sure the Duetto is easy as well, I just can't see what benefit it offers. The extra throw and the body if the 15 makes it an easy choice for me.

:iagree::dblthumb2:

will13k7
01-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks Guys!

Good to know they are about the same in ability.

I definitely associated the body style and size of the PC with easier to handle, but it sounds like the 15es isn't any harder to handle, and since I'm somewhat short for a guy (5'7), the longer body of the 15es will be helpful.

If I was just getting one, I think I might just get the 12e, but since I'm getting the mini, it seems like the 15es would be a better fit in combination with the mini.

SR99
01-26-2014, 06:54 PM
I could be wrong but I thought most of the people expressing a preference for the duetto over the 15 or 21 were saying it was because of familiarity of use rather than ease of use. If you've not had years of experience with the Porter Cable 7424 type of body style, that won't enter into it.

swanicyouth
01-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I could be wrong but I thought most of the people expressing a preference for the duetto over the 15 or 21 were saying it was because of familiarity of use rather than ease of use. If you've not had years of experience with the Porter Cable 7424 type of body style, that won't enter into it.

I cut my teeth on PCs and a GG6. It took me 5 or 6 seconds to get comfortable with the 15. Literally, it just takes seconds. No more DA buzz or shake. No more wrist numbing downward pressure.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-26-2014, 07:42 PM
The Duetto makes up for its shorter throw by spinning much faster.

Same could be said for the GG6 spinning faster than the 12E, but we all know the 12E smoked the GG6. The 15 will outdo the 12, but not nearly as much as the 12 outdid the GG6. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TundraPower
01-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Same could be said for the GG6 spinning faster than the 12E, but we all know the 12E smoked the GG6. The 15 will outdo the 12, but not nearly as much as the 12 outdid the GG6. JMO.

I can barely tell the difference between the Duetto and the 15ES in ability. But I polish really slow so maybe that's it? Both work superb with Rupes microfiber pads.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
I can barely tell the difference between the Duetto and the 15ES in ability. But I polish really slow so maybe that's it? Both work superb with Rupes microfiber pads.

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will13k7
01-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Went with the 15 :buffing:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3826/12244878116_8bf81f5c6f_b.jpg

custmsprty
01-31-2014, 09:35 PM

:iagree: I love my 15ES. And yes, you can easily control it with one hand, super smooth. I'd take it over the 12ES all day long.