PDA

View Full Version : rupes 12e vs 15es

Pages : 1 2 [3]

KMG
02-25-2014, 07:13 AM
That came out really nice! I just picked up a 15 and the mini 2 weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to test them out yet. I can't wait for the weather to get better around here so I can get rolling again and test out the new equipment.

will13k7
02-25-2014, 10:12 PM
That came out really nice! I just picked up a 15 and the mini 2 weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to test them out yet. I can't wait for the weather to get better around here so I can get rolling again and test out the new equipment.

Thanks! :xyxthumbs:

It took two tries since I wasn't patient with the polishing step in my first go at it, I don't think the compound fully broke down and it left some small and vague holograms/buffer-trails in a few places. The second time around I added more lighting, watch an Adam's video which shows what their polish looks like when its broken down, instead of slowing down my Rupes to 4 for polishing, I did it at 6 this time around and the combination of everything worked!

Now that I think I have a workable technique, I need to get some time for the fenders and front bumper, I'm going to try the mini on these. Then on to the rest of the car, front to back, with the roof being last.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Rupes 21 is the bomb diggity!!!! Paired with a Meg's MF finishing disc and M205, it can cut like CRAZY(with the washer mod)!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will13k7
02-25-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't have much to compare it against, but I'm loving the Rupes for sure!

KMG
02-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah I am dying to try mine out, but I am not going to do my car with the weather like it has been here. I am not gonna spend all the time getting my car to look great, only to have it look like crap 1/2 day after I use it. Looking at the weather for the 10 day it is looking like I might need to push back starting back up for the year :mad:

Anomander
03-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Almost ordered the 12e, but after reading a few posts pulled the trigger on the 15. I can't wait to try it out

KMG
03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
The 15 is a great unit, i finally got around to using mine last week since I just started back up for the year.

EvolutionDetail
03-19-2014, 03:13 PM
For some odd reason, I prefer the 15es body vs. the PC type of body style.
I find the 15es, i can get a better grip on to. While the PC type, not so much.

However, there are certain areas that the 15es is not as beneficial compare to the PC style. Because the 15es is larger, so at tight spaces it could be a challenge.

DaytonaJae
03-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I got to handle both polishes at DetailFest at the Rupes booth on a hood atop a stand.

Having come from a PC, GG6, and 3401, my initial impressions are as follows:

1. the LHR15ES is smoother than the 12E. Noticeably less vibrations. Also easier to keep steady than the 12E.

2. the 15ES sounded quieter. Or maybe it just sounded smoother. Hard to determine with everyone around you under the vendor tent.

3. The 12E Duetto felt more powerful. It was harder to bog down when applying downward pressure than the 15. Alot of people like this characteristic, basically a PC on steroids. If you're comfortable with a PC/GG6 then you're most likely going to like the Duetto alot.

4. The Duetto sounded noisier, was less smooth than the 15 but way smoother imo than the GG6 or PC, vibration wise. It tended to walk a little bit when trying to hold it one-handed, whereas the 15 did not and was rock solid.

I am torn between the two, I keep going back and forth. I intend to pair whatever I get with a 75 Mini for the hard to reach areas.

Sizzle Chest
03-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Jae: You need both! LOL

Anomander
03-19-2014, 11:14 PM
For some odd reason, I prefer the 15es body vs. the PC type of body style.
I find the 15es, i can get a better grip on to. While the PC type, not so much.

However, there are certain areas that the 15es is not as beneficial compare to the PC style. Because the 15es is larger, so at tight spaces it could be a challenge.

Yeah, I plan on using the PC with the 3 inch BP for the smaller areas

masonh
04-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Just got my Mini in the mail last week and yes it walks as well when used one-handed. I've never used the 15 or 21, but I do use an 849x quite a bit. I can do most cars with just my 849x and my PC for wax or finish work. I recently had an extremely curvy, bendy black car and spent hours with my PC trying to correct my holograms.

So I called my buddy who has been detailing 20 years and now owns his own shop. He told me first off, don't detail black cars unless its a new car that needs no correction. He says he won't do them anymore, of course he just has his guys do them now. Next he told me to get a Rupes, so I got the Mini and I really like it. I was a little surprised to read the directions that called for 1 to 2 inches per second and 6 to 8 total crosshatch passes. That's a lot of time compared to the 849x and it won't even correct the same depth scratches with all that time and all those passes.

But it does stuff the PC just CANT do period, and best of all no elbow grease. I kept reading about how you just let the weight of the machine be the pressure and I didn't think it would a) be true or b) be a big deal. But yes the mmachines seem to work and work well with basically zero pressure, and after an hour or two, you realize how big of a deal it actually is. In the past any long sessions with the PC had my elbows and hands aching and me thinking I'm just too old for this work. A couple of hours with the Rupes Mini is like taking a nap compared to the PC, and matter how hard you mash the PC it won't correct as well as the Mini with minimal or no pressure at all.

Now to me, that was 150 well spent. Everyone complains about the Rupes price and I did too before I bought it. I mean I paid 150 for my 849x and it will out work any Rupes ever invented, so to plop 300 down on a machine that MIGHT correct 1500 grit scratches with lots of time and some luck was extremely painful. But after using it only once, I can say I am very pleased with my purchase, and now I'm trying to decide between a 15 and a Duetto.

Cleanex
04-23-2015, 03:06 PM
I got to handle both polishes at DetailFest at the Rupes booth on a hood atop a stand.

Having come from a PC, GG6, and 3401, my initial impressions are as follows:

1. the LHR15ES is smoother than the 12E. Noticeably less vibrations. Also easier to keep steady than the 12E.

2. the 15ES sounded quieter. Or maybe it just sounded smoother. Hard to determine with everyone around you under the vendor tent.

3. The 12E Duetto felt more powerful. It was harder to bog down when applying downward pressure than the 15. Alot of people like this characteristic, basically a PC on steroids. If you're comfortable with a PC/GG6 then you're most likely going to like the Duetto alot.

4. The Duetto sounded noisier, was less smooth than the 15 but way smoother imo than the GG6 or PC, vibration wise. It tended to walk a little bit when trying to hold it one-handed, whereas the 15 did not and was rock solid.

I am torn between the two, I keep going back and forth. I intend to pair whatever I get with a 75 Mini for the hard to reach areas.

Have these Rupes pads on them?

I am in a market for my first polisher(s), and for me one of the greatest parameter is low vibration and comfortable use, since I am very sensitive to that and don't want to walk with vibrating hands for a two days after occasional polishing.

i want mini + 12E or mini + 15E. leaning towards 15E.

Anyone can compare 12E and 15E with rupes pads on vibration/comfort of use?