PDA

View Full Version : So, RUPES works well as a "system"....

Pages : 1 [2]

KS_Detailing
01-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I heard they were hybrid. The pads are worth $13 if your going to spend $400 for the machine. Why would someone spend $400 for a machine and worry about $13 accessories?

it adds up, lets say you want to have 4 pads for every step of the system:

4 (pads) x $13 per 6" pad or $15 per 7" pad = $52 (6") or $60 (7")

$52 (6") or $60 (7") x 4 (steps: blue, green, yellow, white) =$208 (6") or $240 (7")

4 (polishes: blue, green, yellow, white) x $40 (per 500ml bottle) = $160

$160 + $208 (6") or $240 (7") = $368 (6") or $400 (7")

$400 (rupes 21) + $400 = $800 for a Rupes system

Its like buying a 2nd Rupes 21...

I also just noticed that the 15 is no longer $350 but has increased to $370!

swanicyouth
01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
I suppose it does cost more and add up. I just can't see using the machine with other pads due to cost. I could save a whole lot of money and just go to Harbor Freight and buy a DA and pads there. But, if your buying the Rupes your buying what I consider to be almost a luxury type polisher. So, to try and save money on pads to me is like buying a Mercedes and having Jiffy Lube do the oil changes. No thanks.

goldendodo19
01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
As far as pads just looking at a couple yellow for when I need to correct some light swirling and some white ones for prewax cleaners and fine polishes. Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Why would someone spend $400 for a machine and worry about $13 accessories?

Agreed.

Same thing goes for automobiles. Buy a BMW, Mercedes, etc. and then cry about parts and accessories costing $$$.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Rupes pads are the smoothest on the Rupes polishers FOR SURE!! RUPES polishes are a combination of SMAT/DAT(each one). I've tried the RUPES pads on the 3401. They're very balanced. However, the green and blue crumble quickly due to the forced rotation. The yellow and white hold up well.

TundraPower
01-25-2014, 08:40 PM
He paint was too hard to cut with Rupes' most aggressive combo - and to soft to finish without marring with their finest cut combo ???

I believe the first part. Scholl Concept's SE3 Gold works better on Rupes blue pads than Rupes Zephir. The second part? Not sure how to advise on that.

Regardless, Rupes Microfiber pads are the future. I did a two step on rock-hard Mercedes paint yesterday and today using only the blue and yellow microfiber pads, no foam pads of any kind. Stunning results. I will be posting my review soon :)

WRAPT C5Z06
01-25-2014, 08:42 PM
I believe the first part. Scholl Concept's SE3 Gold works better on Rupes blue pads than Rupes Zephir. The second part? Not sure how to advise on that.

Regardless, Rupes Microfiber pads are the future. I did a two step on rock-hard Mercedes paint yesterday and today using only the blue and yellow microfiber pads, no foam pads of any kind. Stunning results. I will be posting my review soon :)

Which RUPES polisher did you use?

TundraPower
01-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Which RUPES polisher did you use? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I experimented with them all (21, 15ES, Duetto, and Mini). The 21 cuts the fastest of course, but it doesn't matter which one you use. I only used Zephir on the blue pads and Keramik on the yellow pads as I didn't want to introduce any other variables. These pads seem to "consume" polish very quickly. Make sure all of the microfiber has plenty of workable polish on it at all times.

artofdetailing
01-25-2014, 09:12 PM
but not all the time. Worked on a black mustang today. The blue coarse pad and zephir compound wouldn't cut it, while Meg's MF cutting pads and Classic Cut compound did. I then tried a Rupes yellow pad with the yellow polish(to finish). Left marring. Then tried the Rupes white pad with white polish. Little better, but still marring. So I busted out CarPro Reflect with a crimson hydro pad.....boo-yah....finished perfectly.

I you strictly relied on the Rupes complete system, I do not think you could achieve perfection(or close to it) on every car. I do feel the Rupes pads balance the best with their polishers. Just tried some standard thickness LC HYDRO pads today and they worked pretty good! The thin ones wobbled too much.

I threw out all of my Rupes foam pads. Not a fan. None of them were able to finish out the way I wanted.

goldendodo19
01-25-2014, 10:43 PM
I threw out all of my Rupes foam pads. Not a fan. None of them were able to finish out the way I wanted.

You threw them out? I would have taken them off your hands for some money. Lol

TundraPower
01-26-2014, 03:48 PM

I guess we're even, I threw out all of my Lake Country pads.

swanicyouth
01-26-2014, 03:49 PM
I threw out all of my Rupes foam pads. Not a fan

Odd.

At least with the Rupes pads you know the Velcro won't grenade on you and throw the pad across the room.

aim4squirrels
01-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Odd.

At least with the Rupes pads you know the Velcro won't grenade on you and throw the pad across the room.

But then, that adds some action to a detail.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Odd.

LOL!