PDA

View Full Version : Logo Removal

Pages : [1] 2

kirkatizer
01-23-2014, 06:20 PM
So I got 3 Vans today to remove logos and wax. I've never had to remove complete logos from a vehicle. I don't own a heat gun but I do have a couple of hair dryers. Would this work just as well to heat up the adhesive for easy removal? Or should I just throw out some extra money for a real heat gun? Thanks in advance!

~Kirk

Dr_Pain
01-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Are you talking about the manufacturer badges? If so the only tools you need is fishing line or dental floss, hair dryer, some googone and you should be in business. Vinyl decals is about the same. Heat gun makes it hotter faster which does cut down on time but not a necessity.

I've debadged quite a few cars with the tools above. Also like to remove the "stealership" advertising decals

ken tuep
01-23-2014, 06:29 PM
How large are the logos? I personally prefer an eraser wheel for removal of decals, stripes,stickers. Also 3m adhesive remover for any residue left over.

Do you plan on polishing after removal is done?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Kenny94
01-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Griot's Garage Adhesive Remover has really work for me on situations similar to what you have Ken.

WillWashesCars
01-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Go get your hands on Griots Adhesive Remover or 3m (Clear coat safe) Adhesive Remover. Both will make your life 100x easier. You can easily wash, heat up and remove the stickers, wipe down with 3m, rinse, then wax and be good to go.

StangFan25
01-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Are you talking about the manufacturer badges? If so the only tools you need is fishing line or dental floss, hair dryer, some googone and you should be in business. Vinyl decals is about the same. Heat gun makes it hotter faster which does cut down on time but not a necessity.

I've debadged quite a few cars with the tools above. Also like to remove the "stealership" advertising decals

Yup. All I needed to remove the dealer logo was a hair dryer. Peeled right off. I did use detailer spray and clay to remove any leftover glue. Fairly easy.

kirkatizer
01-23-2014, 07:45 PM
The logos aren't that big. I have a bottle of 3M adhesive removal already. I only plan to remove the logo's, wash, clay bar, wax. The logos are vinyl.

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/998148_257007274467043_1343264912_n.jpg

Mark Rancourt
01-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Heat is essential! I have done this type of work for a long time. Go to Loes, you can buy a nice heat gun for $40 and it will last you a lifetime. Yes an eraser wheel works nice but you will need a compressor and some of those tools can cost upwards of $500! Now for me I heat them, then take a perfectly dull razor blade (I hate plastic razor blades) and just use it to lift an edge and peel! Did one just yesterday. Sometimes glue will be left behind and your adhesive stripper will do the job. Compound your panels, Finnish buff, wax, and your customer will think your the man! Good luck

kirkatizer
01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
That's my plan is to get a corner up then hold the heat gun in front of it as I peel it off. Thanks again everyone. I'll have some before and afters tomorrow.

mrdetails1
01-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Heat is essential! I have done this type of work for a long time. Go to Loes, you can buy a nice heat gun for $40 and it will last you a lifetime. Yes an eraser wheel works nice but you will need a compressor and some of those tools can cost upwards of $500! Now for me I heat them, then take a perfectly dull razor blade (I hate plastic razor blades) and just use it to lift an edge and peel! Did one just yesterday. Sometimes glue will be left behind and your adhesive stripper will do the job. Compound your panels, Finnish buff, wax, and your customer will think your the man! Good luck
I do the dull razor blade too. I take a new blade and 1500 or 2000 sand paper and lay the paper on a flat surface and swipe the blade back and forth a few times. Works really well to get the stickers started it will just catch the edge of the sticker and not gouge the paint.

lawrenceSA
01-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Why would you use a dulled razor blade over a plastic one?

Pureshine
01-24-2014, 02:17 AM
Just use the heat gun will work just fine I just took off 4 year old vinyl off my car using just the heat gun. Using a razor blade paint dull or not is a bad idea. If you slip there is a $300 dollar or more paint job.

kirkatizer
01-24-2014, 11:22 AM
So I picked up this bad boy today for 30$
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1546236_257222851112152_1842809869_n.jpg

The logos aren't coming off as easily as I expected. I get a spot going nicely and it end up tearing uneven on me after a couple inches. I have to start to scratch the edge up to start again. Also having a hard time with the individual lettering. It's coming off but seems to be very time consuming even with my heat gun.

jakonrad
01-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Check this out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YlK2X6CGrE]How to Remove Glue and Stickers from your Paint - YouTube[/video]

brondondolon
01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
If there is a harbor freight by you they sell heat guns for $9.00 I have one and it works great! I removed original sticker type decals from a very old boat. I dont know what they were made of but it didnt feel like vinyl. If you have never used a heat gun do NOT leave the heat gun in one spot for to long it WILL burn the paint. Dont ask me how i know... lol