PDA

View Full Version : Carpet cleaner?

brondondolon
01-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Hey guys. Whats a decent carpet cleaner for a good price? I like the mytee but its a little more then i want to spend at this time. I looked at the bissell but apparently the heater sucks and it is ment to put boiling water in it and it will maintain the temp. i dont have access to boil water while im out there working so thats out of the question. Are there any that will get the job done for around $200? Folex and scrubbing just isnt cutting it any more lol. Thanks guys.

AeroCleanse
01-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Hey guys. Whats a decent carpet cleaner for a good price? I like the mytee but its a little more then i want to spend at this time. I looked at the bissell but apparently the heater sucks and it is ment to put boiling water in it and it will maintain the temp. i dont have access to boil water while im out there working so thats out of the question. Are there any that will get the job done for around $200? Folex and scrubbing just isnt cutting it any more lol. Thanks guys.

While hot water works the best in a Bissell, you can use what you have. I've had good luck pre treating with Folex and adding Folex to the fresh water side of the Bissell.

brondondolon
01-23-2014, 05:55 PM
So youre saying that hot water is obviously better but even the cold water will get the job done?

allenk4
01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Cold Water is actually better for some types of stains

Here is a good Cheat Sheet:

Stain solution cheat sheet from Tide.com (http://www.tide.com/en-US/article/stain-cheat-sheet.jspx)

Protein

Baby Food/Formula, Body Soils (Feces, Urine, Vomit/Spit-Up), Blood, Dairy, Dirt/Clay/Mud, Egg, gelatin dessert

Soak fresh stains in cold water. Rub fabric against itself to dislodge stain. If stains are old, scrape off crusted material and soak in cold water with Tide® Liquid. Launder in warm water with Tide. Do not use hot water to soak or wash items with protein stains (hot water may set these types of stains).

Oil-based

Grease or Oil from Cars, Makeup and Food (including Butter and Mayonnaise), Collar/Cuff Soil, Deodorant/Perspiration, Gasoline

Pretreat with Tide Liquid. Make sure to work detergent into stain and let set for 10-15 minutes. Then wash in hottest water safe for fabric.

Tannin

Beer, Coffee, Tea, Soft Drinks, Fruit & Juice (including Red Berries), Perfume, Wine

First rinse in cool water. Then wash fresh stains in hottest water safe for fabric with your favorite formula of Tide. Use Tide with Bleach or Tide Liquid with Bleach Alternative for old stains. Do not use bar soap on tannin stains — it makes them harder to remove.

Dye

Dye Transfer, Fruit (Blueberry & Cherry), Grass, Kool-Aid®, Mustard

Pretreat with Tide Liquid and rinse thoroughly. Soak in diluted solution of water and Use Tide with Bleach or Tide Liquid with Bleach Alternative. Then wash in the hottest water safe for fabric.

Combination

Ballpoint Ink, Candle Wax, Chewing Gum, Crayon, Lipstick, Shoe Polish, Chocolate, Gravy, Ketchup, BBQ and Tomato-Based Sauces

These stains generally involve two components: oil/wax and dye/pigment. Remove the oily portion first and then the dye portion.

For stains that are waxy and/or ink-based, scrape and treat with dry-cleaning solution first, then rub with Tide Liquid and scrub stain under hot water. For most other combination stains, rub Tide Liquid into stain. Then wash in the hottest water possible for fabric with Tide with Bleach or Tide Liquid with Bleach Alternative.

williamscott395
04-08-2014, 05:41 AM
I used Stanley Steemer Carpet Cleaner. They were a little expensive, but they did a great job and I think it was worth it!

Donn W
04-08-2014, 05:45 AM
2nd Folex

BobbyG
04-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Folex or an all purpose cleaner diluted.

Spray the affected area, let sit for a minute, scrub with a stiff brush, then rinse and vacuum...

A steamer is another method that works well...

VP Mark
04-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Get a $100 McCulloch steamer and use a good chemical to pre treat before steaming.

Folex, 303 carpet & upholstery, or even Chemical Guys Fabric Clean.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2014, 07:01 AM
i dont have access to boil water while im out there working so thats out of the question. Are there any that will get the job done for around $200?

A lot of guys use a bucket and immersion heater to heat water in the field. The Bissell LGCM is a pretty weak unit, both on the pump side and vacuum side, but I have an older one it's possible the newer ones are better and there are some other options in that sub-$200 segment, as others have noted.

Christopher.Brown
04-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Its Impossible to have an all in one solution for Carpet, just as is the case with paint... Therefore a whole new mentality is needed to realize that soiling inside the car has 3 pain causes. These are:

1] Tannins [organic plant matter]
2] Protein based stains
3] Oil & Grease

Therefore, what i would do would be to research the new products recently released in the professional line from Meguiars:

D106 (Fiber Rinse & Tannin Stain Remover) &
D116 (Protein Stain Remover)

Similar to what the carpet care industry has been doing for years, these respective products are used based on the stain types [listed above] that require removal.

This approach was developed because different stain substances have differing chemical compositions. For example, coffee stains are tannic in nature and whole different approach is needed than the procedure used to remove protein based stains such as milk or organic matter (any liquid from the body or pet) because they are chemically different.

On top of that, MOST APC's and all in one carpet cleaners leave the carpet in an alkaline state. An alkaline state is conducive to bacteria growth and also reactivation of any cleaning agents left in the surface, leading to it being more easily re-soiled.

Look into these for a more complete long term cleaning solution. Solution means completely eradicating the problem, while bringing the surface back to a neutral state. Traditional cleaners will not do this and this is why persistent issues with carpets are seen.

This is also why the professional carpet care industry has the same similar type of procedures, because they want to solve the problem with no side effects or chance of easier re-soiling and possible odor retention.

You wouldnt use a plastic knife to cut a thanksgiving turkey would you?

Then why you use one cleaner for all carpet issues that literally have different chemical compositions that GREATLY vary on the Ph scale?