PDA

View Full Version : getting a order together need help

Pages : [1] 2

wildwilly1
01-23-2014, 10:18 AM
I have a black audi hard clear did some polishing in the fall using optimum microfiber pad and menzerna fg400 using a porter cable xp. turned out pretty good topped it with collinite 476 2 coats to get me through the winter. there were still some water spot etching on hood,top and deck and a few rids. I am getting ready to put a order together for this spring.
#1 lake country purple wool 5 inch for deeper etching and ocassional rids
#2 meguirs xtra cut micro fiber 5 inch pads for rest of car
#3 lake country pad for polishing not sure which color ? need help with this
#4 meguirs 101 foam compound
I have some m205 for use after compound how does this look to you guys anything else I need or something different please help asap I would like to order while the 20% off is happening thx

Just02896
01-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I have a black audi hard clear did some polishing in the fall using optimum microfiber pad and menzerna fg400 using a porter cable xp. turned out pretty good topped it with collinite 476 2 coats to get me through the winter. there were still some water spot etching on hood,top and deck and a few rids. I am getting ready to put a order together for this spring.
#1 lake country purple wool 5 inch for deeper etching and ocassional rids
#2 meguirs xtra cut micro fiber 5 inch pads for rest of car
#3 lake country pad for polishing not sure which color ? need help with this
#4 meguirs 101 foam compound
I have some m205 for use after compound how does this look to you guys anything else I need or something different please help asap I would like to order while the 20% off is happening thx

I like the white and green LC pads for polishing.
My go to's for compounding and polishing are Pinnacle, Menzerna, and Meg's 105 and 205.

You should definitely try Menz SF 4000 as a final polish on black after FG400!

wildwilly1
01-23-2014, 10:27 AM
sounds good on the menz sf4000 I was looking at that with the lc pads. do you think I could get enough cut from the lc purple wool and menz fg400 to get rid of the water etching or would I still need the meguirs micro fiber and the m 101

DogRescuer
01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
I use the orange pad for polishing with 205, and imo I would top with C845 and call it a day

Steve

Just02896
01-23-2014, 10:52 AM
sounds good on the menz sf4000 I was looking at that with the lc pads. do you think I could get enough cut from the lc purple wool and menz fg400 to get rid of the water etching or would I still need the meguirs micro fiber and the m 101

Absolutely. If you can't remove water spot with wool and fg400, those water spots are there to stay! :-)

allenk4
01-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Purple wool and Xtra Cut is going at it pretty hard.

Try least aggressive method 1st

The water spots may come off with a solution of Vinegar and Distilled water mixed 1:1

Once the water spots are gone, you will have a better picture of what your are up against.

If you have a few RIDS, you could try 4" Orange pad to spot correct and preserve the adjacent clear coat.

I have had very good results with FG400 on an Orange pad for eliminating swirls and RIDS. Follow that with your M205 on a Gray pad. If Gray doesn't knock it out...try M205 on White.

wildwilly1
01-23-2014, 10:56 AM
yeah I figured the lc purple wool and fg400 would be sufficient. would this combo be ok for rest of vehicle too. also what backing plate for the 5 lc pads a 5 inch backing plate

wildwilly1
01-23-2014, 11:07 AM
I tried the optimum microfiber and fg400 didn't touch the water spot etching. I pretty much realize that I will not be able to completely remove them but would like to make them better also what white and green pads from lake country or where

allenk4
01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
yeah I figured the lc purple wool and fg400 would be sufficient. would this combo be ok for rest of vehicle too. also what backing plate for the 5 lc pads a 5 inch backing plate

I have found that Purple Wool is really aggressive, see chart:

Lake Country DA Foam Pads Comparison Chart (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-foam-pads.html)

Personally, I would try a less aggressive combination 1st.

I use the LC CCS Pads. They come in 6 1/2" and 5 1/2". I had the backing plate on my FLEX ground down to accommodate the 5 1/2" pads...love it!

For your PC, many suggest this backing plate from Lake Country:
lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

wildwilly1
01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
see post #8

allenk4
01-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I tried the optimum microfiber and fg400 didn't touch the water spot etching. I pretty much realize that I will not be able to completely remove them but would like to make them better also what white and green pads from lake country or where

What technique were you using with that combo?

-Speed Setting

-Arm Speed

-Downward Pressure

-Number of Passes

wildwilly1
01-23-2014, 11:35 AM
speed 6 , slow arm speed, moderate pressure, probably 14x14 work spot

Just02896
01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
I have found that Purple Wool is really aggressive, see chart:

Lake Country DA Foam Pads Comparison Chart (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-foam-pads.html)

Personally, I would try a less aggressive combination 1st.

I use the LC CCS Pads. They come in 6 1/2" and 5 1/2". I had the backing plate on my FLEX ground down to accommodate the 5 1/2" pads...love it!

For your PC, many suggest this backing plate from Lake Country:
lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

This is spot on! Definitely try orange with FG400 first! It will more than likely remove the water spots. From there hit it with SF4000 and enjoy your clear and super glossy paint!

wildwilly1
01-23-2014, 11:43 AM
the orange ccs pad right. I thought the microfiber optimum had more cut im confused ?

allenk4
01-23-2014, 12:02 PM
the orange ccs pad right. I thought the microfiber optimum had more cut im confused ?

It may or may not for you on a PC.

I think Optimum offers two different thicknesses. With a PC, you want the thin ones.

Optimum Polymer Technologies: Advanced Polymer Technology is in every Optimum Car Care Product. opt car care, optimum car wax, optimum car wash, (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-wax.html)

I have only used microfiber pads on a limited basis with an old 7424. I found that unless I cleaned them after every section pass, I did not get good cut at all. I used a pad brush, but many on the Forum suggest that compressed air is more effective.