PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a backing plate

IPT
01-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Hey Guys, I'm new here, getting some products and have a question. I have the PC 7424XP currently and am planning on getting the Flex 3401 with this new order. I am going to get the LC changable backing plate system for the Flex. My question is should I get the LC plates for my PC too?

Use will be for polishing my cars with the Hybrid pads but I also am experimenting with painting base and clear. Mostly on small panels and parts like engine covers, 12x14 hardboard, and maybe something as big as a file cabinet. I'll need to level the OP I've been getting.

I have some 1500, 2000 and 3000 wet paper sheets but I am thinking using one of these machines may be way easier. What parts or system would you recomend (keeping cost low if possible since the Flex is a hard hit)? Would you recomend the Flex or the PC for this job?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-23-2014, 05:55 AM
If you are going to make the upgrade to the 3401, LC interchangeable bp, and Hybrids, I would buy extra pads, compound, and polish instead of spending more money for the PC at the moment.

On second thought after re reading your post, you may also want to outfit your PC for sanding duty.

ken tuep
01-23-2014, 07:06 AM
If you're looking to level OP on panels you have sprayed I'd pick up the carpro denim pads. I've used them to knock out OP without having to sand at all. I used a 3401 with the 4 3/8" flex BP, and M105. It finished out way better than I ever expected. I trimmed my pads to fit.

Some people wouldn't recommend it on factory painted panels, but I've used it with good results. You have to be extremely careful when using them on factory paint, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a ptg, and plenty of experience with the pads and tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

tuscarora dave
01-23-2014, 07:10 AM
If I were you I would first decide what size sanding discs you'll be working with and then pick up a 3M backing plate to work with that size sanding disc. The hook and loop surface on the 3M backing plate outlasts any other backing plates and the grip they have with any pads or sanding discs I've used with them is second to none.

3M backing plates are more of an investment up front but well worth it to work steady without having backing plate velcro issues.

IPT
01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
I just looked at some stuff I need to work on and for the engine cover and fuse box cover a 3" would ideal. Will the 3M 3 inch disc fit the Flex (or 7424XP)?

The LC interchangeable only goes down to 4". I like the idea of trying Denim. I saw some thread about it leveling OP somewhere on here and it seemed promising! Should be easy to cut down the pads.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-23-2014, 11:52 PM
I just looked at some stuff I need to work on and for the engine cover and fuse box cover a 3" would ideal. Will the 3M 3 inch disc fit the Flex (or 7424XP)?

The 3M backing plate model #20427 will only fit a DA such as the PC or a sander with a 5/16 spindle.