PDA

View Full Version : Looking into DA

Nicklyons
01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Hello all. I am new to the forum and have seen everyone's marvelous work.. I currently work in a shop and run a mobile truck in the Tampa area, however I am becoming more and more interested in the applications and uses for a DA. I currently use a rotary and can use it efficiently on everything but black. It seems every black vehicle I've been handed lately he to be compounded/glazed/polished (to remove swirls) and then waxes. It seems to me like a DA is more forgiving than a rotary(?). Can anyone give me some advice and possibly get me started on the right path to using a DA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Critic
01-22-2014, 10:49 PM
A rotary will always have more cut than a DA, but a rotary will often require more steps (and skill) to finish without holograms or trails.

If you are already have a rotary, I would pick-up a Rupes 15 or 21 just for finishing.

The other areas where a DA can shine (especially a Rupes), is on one-step corrections with Microfiber pads. You may be able to get more cut without worry about holograms. Here's an example:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/75101-got-holograms-orinda-auto-detail.html#post1021721

brondondolon
01-22-2014, 11:49 PM
I like you learned on a rotory and wouldnt touch black paint. Then go figure i buy a black truck... I wanted so bad to take my rotory to it but it scared the hell out of me. So i bought a porter cable DA and i dont think i can put a swirl in my black paint if i tried. Rupes and Flex are good you cant go wrong with either. For the price though you cant beat the porter cable imo.

Here is a before and after of my truck. The before was after i got my truck back from getting the trans serviced at Carson city Dodge and they, from the looks of it, washed it with steel wool... They refused to fix it and claimed i did it... I have never been so insulted and even bringing it up p!sses me off... any way the truck was completely covered in these scratches including my week old smoked tail lights after it returned so thats when i bought the Porter cable DA and fixed it my self

Here is the before: lighting was bad but those scratches were on every inch of the truck

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/brondondolon/64cd59a4-126a-48a7-8a77-7cf81afc1cae.jpg

After: Using Porter Cable DA wolfgang total swirl remover and wolfgang glaze with a lake country orange pad and a black pad speed set at 6 topped off with chemical guys XXX wax on a foam pad

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/brondondolon/ants%20truck/my%20truck/IMAG1049_1_1.jpg

Not to mention that was my first time ever using a DA :) hope this helps

wrb_subie
01-23-2014, 12:01 AM
You'll get a bunch of answers on here.. What type of budget are you on to narrow it down a bit.

Nicklyons
01-23-2014, 07:35 AM
You'll get a bunch of answers on here.. What type of budget are you on to narrow it down a bit.

About 200 to get running and maybe experiment with some new chemicals. Right now I use a mixture of auto magic, megs and a few other here and there products.

Nicklyons
01-23-2014, 07:38 AM
brondondolon, how long did that take as opposed to using a rotary?

ken tuep
01-23-2014, 07:43 AM
I'd pick up the Griots da, it has more power than the PC, and it's very difficult to get it to stop rotation of the pad. Pick up the 5" BP, and 5.5" pads. You'll even have enough after that to get a bottle of compound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

brondondolon
01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
It took about 3-4 hours but that includes washing and claying with traditional clay dressing the tires and polishing the chrome. id say the actual buffing part took 2 hours maybe 3. Yeah a rotory would have cut through it much quicker but it could have left halograms or worse. So its a trade off. However being as it was my first time using a DA i went through it kind of fast and it still had some minor scratches here and there.

VISITOR
01-23-2014, 10:18 PM
here's an informative write-up, copy and paste the bottom and google it....

Surbuf Pad paired with M105 and PC is a defect killer!

AeroCleanse
01-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Hello all. I am new to the forum and have seen everyone's marvelous work.. I currently work in a shop and run a mobile truck in the Tampa area, however I am becoming more and more interested in the applications and uses for a DA. I currently use a rotary and can use it efficiently on everything but black. It seems every black vehicle I've been handed lately he to be compounded/glazed/polished (to remove swirls) and then waxes. It seems to me like a DA is more forgiving than a rotary(?). Can anyone give me some advice and possibly get me started on the right path to using a DA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a rotary get yourself a DynaBrade head. It lets you go from rotary to long throw DA (like a Rupes) with a push of a button.

movingforward
01-24-2014, 12:43 AM
It took about 3-4 hours but that includes washing and claying with traditional clay dressing the tires and polishing the chrome. id say the actual buffing part took 2 hours maybe 3. Yeah a rotory would have cut through it much quicker but it could have left halograms or worse. So its a trade off. However being as it was my first time using a DA i went through it kind of fast and it still had some minor scratches here and there.

Wow, that is fast! At least it is for a complete newb like me. Did you polish in 2x2 squares or panel-by-panel?