PDA

View Full Version : Pictures: Autogeek Detailing Class - January 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Phillips
01-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Pictures: Autogeek Detailing Class - January 2014 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/75633-pictures-autogeek-detailing-class-january-2014-a.html)

Three of our "training cars" for the class to practice on have arrived...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/Detailing_Classes_At_Autogeek_001.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/Detailing_Classes_At_Autogeek_002.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/Detailing_Classes_At_Autogeek_003.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
01-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Awesome class! Awesome people!

Our first detailing boot camp class for 2014 is officially over and I'm proud to say everyone that attended did an awesome job. We worked hard, learned a lot but also had a lot of fun and the results will speak for themselves....

One quick picture before I set the alarm and shut down Autogeek's Show Car Garage. This is the 1970 El Camino that came in filled with swirls and scratches and some type of overspray.

My class used the Rupes polishers, compounds, polishes and pads to remove the swirls and polish the paint to perfection and then applied the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating and here are the results.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/2014_Detailing_Boot_Camp_Class_003.jpg

More pictures throughout this next week.

Signing off....

:)

pikiki
01-26-2014, 06:33 PM
:buffing::props::dblthumb2::xyxthumbs::hungry:
OH!!!! JEzzzzzz Mike I can`t imagine the experience of these guys been in the class working with such classics.

Chris@AutoCleanse
01-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Looks good, I am sure everybody had a good time and learned many aspects of car detailing and paint correction, on that note we got any scraps left for Thursday Night. Lol

Formally know as the Italian Guy, yes Mike I finally changed it with the help of Ray's moderator status.

Mike Phillips
01-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Here's two group shots of from this class...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/2014_Detailing_Boot_Camp_Class_005.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/2014_Detailing_Boot_Camp_Class_006.jpg

These two cars are parked out front with the 1956 Nomad and they look awesome glistening in the sun!

Excellent work everyone. More picture later today but first I need to re-organize the garage.

:dblthumb2:

FrankS
01-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Must have been a great learning experience for those who attended! :buffing:

Mike Phillips
01-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Here's a couple shots of the 1956 Nomad...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/1956_Nomad_039.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2254/1956_Nomad_035.jpg

More pics tomorrow...

Mike Phillips
01-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Looks good, I am sure everybody had a good time and learned many aspects of car detailing and paint correction,

on that note we got any scraps left for Thursday Night. Lol

Hi Chris,

Yes. The 1965 Ford needs some finishing work and the 1959 Impala needs the full meal deal...

We'll start this Thursday at 5:00pm

Nick McKees37
01-28-2014, 08:24 AM
It was an excellent class and I would once again like to thank everyone that attended. :dblthumb2:

ECW
01-28-2014, 09:10 PM
The class was an eye-opening experience and fun was had by all. Thanks Mike for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

richard gwilt
01-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Mike thanks so much for a great, educational class. It was more intense than I anticipated and now feel I can take on my cars with confidence.

Now it's time to purchase some of the great products and tools that we used!

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
01-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Mike thanks so much for a great, educational class. It was more intense than I anticipated and now feel I can take on my cars with confidence.

Now it's time to purchase some of the great products and tools that we used!

I hope it wasn't too intense... I try to offer a strong balance covering all the really popular tools.

I know the wetsanding by hand and machine and then learning to use the rotary buffer to remove sanding marks can be a real eye-opener as to how much work goes behind that type of process.

But most important, as I said in the class a couple of time and you hit the nail on the head, now you have the confidence to tackle your own cars and if you do run into any issues you know you can always call me, shoot me an e-mail or post your projects here to the forum.

joe18741
01-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Mike and Nick,

It was a great experience attending the boot camp.

I got a lot of hands on information, I truly appreciated the amount of work you guys put into it.

Thanks again,
Joe Randazzo

Mike Phillips
01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Mike and Nick,

It was a great experience attending the boot camp.

I got a lot of hands on information, I truly appreciated the amount of work you guys put into it.

Thanks again,
Joe Randazzo

Hi Joe,

It's always a pleasure and a LOT of fun putting on these classes. As you can probably tell, I have a lot of passion for the art and craft of detailing cars and just as much as I like detailing cars myself just as much I love to share with others the secrets to successful and professional car detailing.

Thank you for attending the class, thank you for posting your experience on our forum. I hope to see you active on the forum into the future.

If you ever have any questions please just give me or Nick a call...

Mike: 1-800-869-3011 x206

Nick: 1-800-869-3011 x215

Money2536
02-02-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm going to give my honest, unbiased review of January's class.

As a point of reference, here is a bit of my "detailing" background. I'm into late model performance cars, primarily German and Japanese. I currently own a 911 and Audi S4. My wife drives a Ford Explorer Sport, which to my surprise is a really cool car considering I've said on many occasions that I would never own an SUV. I got my detailing start like most of us going to the auto parts store buying whatever had the best looking label.

I discovered a Clay Bar around 2002 when a friend's house painter told me I needed to try one. Later that year, I met someone that had an S2000 like I did. They mentioned a company called "Gree-ots" Garage. After a bit of trying to find it, I stumbled up Griot's Garage and started getting his mail order catalog. Well, I was hooked. Over the course of three or four years, I had come to buy pretty much the entire Griot catalog. Now as we all know, there is no way one company can make the best product for every application, so after getting some hard water etching on my E92 M3 and not being able to get them out with Griot's polishes, I started reading the detailing sections of M3Post. That is where I stumbled upon Detailer's Domain, then Autopia, and ultimately Auto Geek. I then proceeded to spend probably double what I had spent at Griot's buying and trying countless different products to end up at a relatively pro level detailing process. I'm not doing this for money. For me detailing is a hobby that fits my zip-tie, closet organization, some call it freak personality.

I'm not exactly sure when I discovered this class was available, but it was several years ago. I've wanted to sign-up for the class for a few years now but didn't. I think I was reluctant for a few reasons.

First, as most with most males I have arrived at my current detailing/car washing process through trial and error, so I thought I already knew everything.

Second, I've lurked this forum on just a few occasions and for some reason I had developed my own personal opinion it was all about "in-house" products. I probably got that unsubstantiated opinion from other forums.

I finally decided to pull the trigger when I read Mike's post on what the class would entail. I recently bought a Rupes DA, and the class was going to include using those tools. So I was enrolled and fired up to come to the class!

When I arrived, we didn't waste 30 seconds. Before you could blink, at 8 AM sharp Mike had us all up instructing us on using a swirl remover polish using a Porter Cable DA. It was clear from the very start that Mike/Nick had done this countless times. There was no wasted time. There was a very defined plan of instruction to take us from start to finish over two days.

Over the last ten or so years, I have had hundreds of hours under my belt with a Griot's DA. I was much more interested in observing and picking up on the little details rather than practicing what I already knew. For me, the great part of the class is that, although small (ours was 16 people), there are many different skill levels present. We had some seasoned pros, experienced enthusiasts, aspiring detailing business owners, newbees and a few in between. There were people who were eager to jump in and do the work getting practice, which allowed me to float around taking it all in. I was able to pick other class mate's brains and learn as much as possible.

I gave you my background, so might surmise that I'm not into classic cars. I'm probably just the wrong age to truly appreciate them. I grew up in the 80s/90s. My dad built/owned a '66 GTO, so I have a minor appreciation for a few select muscle cars. I am a new car kind of guy. That being said, for this class, I completely agree and appreciate that using classic cars with their huge body panels is much better suited for this class environment. I never found myself wishing we had a newer car to work on. The concepts are the same.

Now onto the products. My fear in attending the class was this was going to be weekend long Pinnacle/Wolfgang sales pitch. I'm not saying Pinnacle stuff isn't good. I just didn't want to have it rammed down my throat. I was worried when I saw the table at the front of the class full of that stuff. So here is my take. Yes, we did use pretty much all Auto Geek stuff. The great part was that Mike would give a simple explanation of what we were using but would talk about it conceptually rather than explaining the specific product. It was clear to me that it would be more cost effective to use their own products rather than buying others. I was very pleased with the use of ample types of polishes, pads, and waxes/sealants/coatings. We covered it all.

One of my favorite things to do is research/shop new products, order and track the packages, and then open up and check them out when they arrive at my doorstep. I'm pretty sure I like the buying/researching more than actually using them, so being at a massive warehouse full of cool stuff was awesome. When you walk back to the bathroom, there are shelves stacked full of pretty much any polish, wax, etc. that you could fathom. I found myself staring at those shelves quite a few times. After using Pinnacle products for most of the weekend, I got to raid those shelves to play with whatever I wanted for about the last fours hours on Sunday. I was in heaven!

In pretty much all aspects, this class surpassed my expectations. I picked up many time saving and useful tips. For me, it was validation for the things I have been doing correctly. I would encourage anyone, no matter of skill level, that this will be a worthwhile experience. I just wish I had done this class years ago. It would have save me loads of time and thousands of dollars trying and failing. Do yourself a favor and sign up!

PS, the $100 Auto Geek credit you get for attending that class is a scam. I think it enticed me to spend $500 more. :xyxthumbs:

Sincerely,
Matt