PDA

View Full Version : Pictures: Autogeek Detailing Class - January 2014

Pages : 1 [2]

Mike Phillips
02-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm going to give my honest, unbiased review of January's class.

Wow!

Thanks for the honest and unbiased review Matt, you now I appreciate it.

I'm not exactly sure when I discovered this class was available, but it was several years ago. I've wanted to sign-up for the class for a few years now but didn't. I think I was reluctant for a few reasons.

First, as most with most males I have arrived at my current detailing/car washing process through trial and error, so I thought I already knew everything.

Second, I've lurked this forum on just a few occasions and for some reason I had developed my own personal opinion it was all about "in-house" products. I probably got that unsubstantiated opinion from other forums.

I finally decided to pull the trigger when I read Mike's post on what the class would entail. I recently bought a Rupes DA, and the class was going to include using those tools. So I was enrolled and fired up to come to the class!

I'm really glad you made the choice. I have not been able to get to the 1970 El Camino "process" pictures that we used the Rupes polishers on but it is on the top of my list of pictures to process. I did process a few of the "after" pictures for another article, suffice to say the Rupes polishers with the help of everyone in the class came out awesome!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2263/Pinnacle_Coating_Booster_012.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2263/Pinnacle_Coating_Booster_013.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2263/Pinnacle_Coating_Booster_014.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2263/Pinnacle_Coating_Booster_015.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2263/Pinnacle_Coating_Booster_016.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2263/Pinnacle_Coating_Booster_018.jpg

When I arrived, we didn't waste 30 seconds. Before you could blink, at 8 AM sharp Mike had us all up instructing us on using a swirl remover polish using a Porter Cable DA. It was clear from the very start that Mike/Nick had done this countless times. There was no wasted time. There was a very defined plan of instruction to take us from start to finish over two days.

Thanks for adding that... I try really hard to make these classes hand-on from start to finish.

For me, the great part of the class is that, although small (ours was 16 people), there are many different skill levels present. We had some seasoned pros, experienced enthusiasts, aspiring detailing business owners, newbees and a few in between.

As you told me during the class, for you personally to find out that you've been doing everything right is vindication to continue on as you have with even more confidence.

As for the wide spectrum of people that attend these classes, it makes it a real challenge on my part to cater to everyone but I like the challenge and it's like this in every class, that is people from all walks of life and all experience levels.

It's also a challenge to teach so many different tools, pads, products, techniques but again, I thrive on the challenge. I remember the days when all I had to do was show one brand and one tool and looking back that was a cake walk.

I gave you my background, so might surmise that I'm not into classic cars. I'm probably just the wrong age to truly appreciate them. I grew up in the 80s/90s. My dad built/owned a '66 GTO, so I have a minor appreciation for a few select muscle cars. I am a new car kind of guy.

That being said, for this class, I completely agree and appreciate that using classic cars with their huge body panels is much better suited for this class environment. I never found myself wishing we had a newer car to work on. The concepts are the same.

Exactly.

Large vehicles provide plenty of room for everyone to get as much hands-on time as they want. I can only do so much as far as buffing time goes but one thing for sure, the opportunity is there, all a person has to do is jump in and get busy.

Modern cars tend to be smaller but we did have a full size SUV with the Ford Expedition and even a small car with the Acura. So a a good cross section of the market in general.

I appreciate your honesty with the above comments. Basically, I do the best I can to have fun cars here but also cool cars too. As far as I know, the classes here are the only classes of their type and pretty any other class use demo hoods or rental cars. Nothing wrong with that as I use demo hoods and rental cars too but I've never seen pictures from any other class showing people working on an all original, numbers matching, 100 point winning 1956 Nomad.

The class of January 2014 working on a 1956 Nomad...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2256/1956_Nomad_047.jpg

Show Car Results....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2256/1956_Nomad_031.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2256/1956_Nomad_034.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2256/1956_Nomad_036.jpg

Now onto the products. My fear in attending the class was this was going to be weekend long Pinnacle/Wolfgang sales pitch. I'm not saying Pinnacle stuff isn't good. I just didn't want to have it rammed down my throat. I was worried when I saw the table at the front of the class full of that stuff.

So here is my take. Yes, we did use pretty much all Auto Geek stuff. The great part was that Mike would give a simple explanation of what we were using but would talk about it conceptually rather than explaining the specific product.

I've never been a sales guy let alone a pushy sales guy, I show a variety of brands at out classes but make it clear that it's the technique for using the products I'm going to teach and people will gravitate towards the brands that they already know and trust or are most interested in.

When it comes to polishing paint on the type of cars I have at my classes I only use products I would trust for show car work, that means products that use the best in abrasive technology, after that it's all about the right tools, pads and techniques to make the magic happen.

One of my favorite things to do is research/shop new products, order and track the packages, and then open up and check them out when they arrive at my doorstep. I'm pretty sure I like the buying/researching more than actually using them, so being at a massive warehouse full of cool stuff was awesome. When you walk back to the bathroom, there are shelves stacked full of pretty much any polish, wax, etc. that you could fathom. I found myself staring at those shelves quite a few times. After using Pinnacle products for most of the weekend, I got to raid those shelves to play with whatever I wanted for about the last fours hours on Sunday. I was in heaven!

The 1965 Ford Truck worked out really well as a free-for-all project where everyone could get more time with any tool, pad or product they were most interested in. Moving into the future I'm going to try to make this a regular feature at these classes.

After the class on Sunday the Ford was kind of hit or miss as far as being "done" but we finished it out the following Thursday.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2224/1965_Ford_F100_011.jpg

In pretty much all aspects, this class surpassed my expectations.

I picked up many time saving and useful tips. For me, it was validation for the things I have been doing correctly. I would encourage anyone, no matter of skill level, that this will be a worthwhile experience.

I just wish I had done this class years ago. It would have save me loads of time and thousands of dollars trying and failing. Do yourself a favor and sign up!

And the above is what I like people on the outside looking in get to hear or read from people that have been through the class. Thank you.

PS, the $100 Auto Geek credit you get for attending that class is a scam. I think it enticed me to spend $500 more. :xyxthumbs:

Sincerely,
Matt

:laughing: Don't blame me, that's out of my department...

Thank you so much for attending this first class of the year and for taking the time to join the forum and share your experience. As I said at the start of the class on Saturday morning, the same thing I've been saying at all my classes for years now and that is,

I'm going to pour my heart and soul into the class, (that's the people), I'm going to give everyone 100% and basically do a brain dump. All I ask for and hope for is for each person to do like Matt and join the forum and post their experience.

Thank you Matt and everyone so far that has done this...

:dblthumb2: :dblthumb2: :dblthumb2:

Money2536
02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks again Mike! I'll be sure to start becoming more active on the forum!

ShineFind.com
02-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp was an eye opening experience. As more of a hobbyist detailer, working on my own cars, along with family and friends cars for the past several years, a long time AG customer & AG fan, I attended the class wanting to get more information on something I only thought of as a hobby, and came out with a ton of knowledge about products and how to "correctly" pair those products, for the tasks at hand. Mike clearly stated that he is not an "expert", but my opinion of Mike Phillips is that he is a top notch master detailer & a very gifted instructor within his field of expertise.

Mike and Nick both, are especially attentive to everyone in the class, willing to go above and beyond to answer your questions and to instill self confidence in using any product & machine. I was truly impressed with the time and care that went into each project and Mike and Nick's willingness & accessibility to allow each of us to pick their brains about so many aspects of detailing, during the class and even into the future. I feel very confident that I can contact Mike or Nick directly, with any questions and they will do their best to provide a solution.

If you are wanting to start a detailing business, already own a detailing business or you are just a "driveway beamer" (hobbyist detailer), this class will provide you with an in depth analysis of the market, how to manage your time wisely and educate you on just about everything you will need to know about detailing.

:dblthumb2: to Mike, Nick, Yancy and Autogeek for a fun and informative weekend. So, if you have been hesitant about pulling the trigger on this class, I recommend clicking "add to cart", you won't regret it.

~Jason~

Mike Phillips
02-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp was an eye opening experience. As more of a hobbyist detailer, working on my own cars, along with family and friends cars for the past several years, a long time AG customer & AG fan, I attended the class wanting to get more information on something I only thought of as a hobby, and came out with a ton of knowledge about products and how to "correctly" pair those products, for the tasks at hand. Mike clearly stated that he is not an "expert", but my opinion of Mike Phillips is that he is a top notch master detailer & a very gifted instructor within his field of expertise.

You're too nice but thank you for the compliment.

I never feel comfortable when someone uses the word expert in referring to me as I'm always learning. I consider myself a perpetual student.

Mike and Nick both, are especially attentive to everyone in the class, willing to go above and beyond to answer your questions and to instill self confidence in using any product & machine. I was truly impressed with the time and care that went into each project and Mike and Nick's willingness & accessibility to allow each of us to pick their brains about so many aspects of detailing, during the class and even into the future. I feel very confident that I can contact Mike or Nick directly, with any questions and they will do their best to provide a solution.

And we covered a LOT of projects in two days.

I apologize that I have not gotten up more pictures from the class it's just my schedule is so dang busy every day. For example, Nick and I just returned from shooting 2 brand new episodes for "Ship Shape TV" and now I'm playing catch-up on work I needed to do this morning.

BUT... I will get to them, especially the pictures of everyone,

Using the Rupes System on the El Camino
Using the Cyclo Polishers on the 1947 Ford
Machine wetsanding and then using rotary buffers
Machine polishing the 1956 Nomad
Learning one-step production detailing on the Acura

If you are wanting to start a detailing business, already own a detailing business or you are just a "driveway beamer" (hobbyist detailer), this class will provide you with an in depth analysis of the market, how to manage your time wisely and educate you on just about everything you will need to know about detailing.

To Mike, Nick, Yancy and Autogeek for a fun and informative weekend.

So, if you have been hesitant about pulling the trigger on this class, I recommend clicking "add to cart", you won't regret it.

~Jason~

Thank you Jason, you know I appreciate your taking the time to share the above in this thread...

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
02-05-2014, 04:14 PM
to Mike, Nick, Yancy and Autogeek for a fun and informative weekend.

~Jason~

Just a note about Yancy, while he wasn't at the classes he did join us at the "Meet & Greet" down at the Marriot for some good food, cold drinks and car talk.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2065/Meet_and_Greet_2014_with_Mike_Phillips.jpg

Stingsea
02-10-2014, 09:40 PM
I had a GREAT time at Mike's detailing boot camp leaning how to detail cars using the Rupes Bigfoot 21 and the Flex PE14 and Flex 3401 and the PC 7424XP.

Now I know what type of buffers I'm going to get because I used all of them at the boot camp class with lots of hands-on training its the best!

ghji222
04-25-2014, 12:36 AM
I am hungry to see these all pics that every model i buy but unfortunately i have no much resource to these every person have happy time and these time is passed and again happy moment is arrive in the life...