PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion on a MB Hood ornament

SlightlyBent
01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Hi!

I did a search for "hood ornament" and "corrosion" and couldn't find anything... so pardon me if this has been covered before.

During the detail of my car this weekend, I discovered that the hood emblem on my '10 E550 has some corrosion on it, particularly towards the front. I tried to remove it with some chrome cleaner, but it looks like this could be "rust" or some other chemical reaction that happened with the ornament at some point and parts of it may be beyond a simple repair.

Has anyone seen this before? I didn't take any photos of this, but can when I get home...

Coach Steve
01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Hi!

I did a search for "hood ornament" and "corrosion" and couldn't find anything... so pardon me if this has been covered before.

During the detail of my car this weekend, I discovered that the hood emblem on my '10 E550 has some corrosion on it, particularly towards the front. I tried to remove it with some chrome cleaner, but it looks like this could be "rust" or some other chemical reaction that happened with the ornament at some point and parts of it may be beyond a simple repair.

Has anyone seen this before? I didn't take any photos of this, but can when I get home...My W210 had that same issue and I never did figure out what caused it. It looked more like pitting than corrosion and it was only on the front side.

SlightlyBent
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Right - that's what I'm seeing - pitting on the front side in a few places. What did you do to fix it, if anything?

allenk4
01-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Replacement on a popular internet auction site is $25

Coach Steve
01-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Right - that's what I'm seeing - pitting on the front side in a few places. What did you do to fix it, if anything?
Couldn't really "fix" it. I went as far as to remove the emblem for easier maneuverability and wet sanded then polished it. That was all that could really be done. The pitting never got any worse and it shined up well enough that the pitting appeared to be minimized.

SlightlyBent
01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm looking at those replacement ones... I wonder how close they are to OEM...