PDA

View Full Version : Why not simply inexpensive apc?

DogRescuer
01-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi all I have a ? to save time money and space (in my trunk) as I am a part timer:

Why have separate tire, wheel cleaners and why not stick to a decent apc or 1 bottle?

this is only for me I am not trying to influence those of you who have your system of doing things that work for you.

Steve

PA DETAILER
01-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Even for the weekend detailer, seperate bottles of wheel/tire cleaner can get expensive! I switched to MEGS APC + Good enough for tires etc. I just ordered the kit and have it ready for the spring. For the money it cant be beat. I use it 4:1 for wheels/tires.

Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plusc combo (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d103-combo.html) :xyxthumbs:

ken tuep
01-22-2014, 08:18 AM
If a single apc works for you, then use them. Meguiars apc is my go to on most jobs. It'll clean everything pretty darn well. The thing is you'll still need different dilution ratios for different jobs, so you'll still have 5 different bottles of product in the trunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

PiPUK
01-22-2014, 08:25 AM
It would depend upon the sort of jobs you are tackling. APCs tend to be much lighter duty than a good wheel cleaner. In practice, many APC concentrates will be less strong as a concentrate than a wheel cleaner at using strength. It is more likely that you could find a wheel cleaner which could do multiple duty but you would need to know a bit to be certain. It would need to be a non-acid wheel cleaner with a good bit of alkalinity. It would need to be low or zero caustic (sodium or potassium hydroxide) as this can be a bit risky on some sensitive vehicle surfaces. You would then need to dilute appropriately (which is probably not a figure the brand will give), it would be fairly certain that this would be a higher level than you are used with APCs. Many detailing APCs advertise in the 10-50:1 region but it would be likely that an appropriate dilution for a suitable wheel cleaner would be more like 100-200:1, for APC use.

You are probably gathering that there are a lot of 'suitable', 'appropriate', 'if' and 'but' terms going on - in other words it is easily possible but you would need your brand to tell you how to do it or you need a good lump of chemical knowledge.

DogRescuer
01-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Even for the weekend detailer, seperate bottles of wheel/tire cleaner can get expensive! I switched to MEGS APC + Good enough for tires etc. I just ordered the kit and have it ready for the spring. For the money it cant be beat. I use it 4:1 for wheels/tires.

Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plusc combo (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d103-combo.html) :xyxthumbs:
Great,thanks

If a single apc works for you, then use them. Meguiars apc is my go to on most jobs. It'll clean everything pretty darn well. The thing is you'll still need different dilution ratios for different jobs, so you'll still have 5 different bottles of product in the trunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online
very good poiint

It would depend upon the sort of jobs you are tackling. APCs tend to be much lighter duty than a good wheel cleaner. In practice, many APC concentrates will be less strong as a concentrate than a wheel cleaner at using strength. It is more likely that you could find a wheel cleaner which could do multiple duty but you would need to know a bit to be certain. It would need to be a non-acid wheel cleaner with a good bit of alkalinity. It would need to be low or zero caustic (sodium or potassium hydroxide) as this can be a bit risky on some sensitive vehicle surfaces. You would then need to dilute appropriately (which is probably not a figure the brand will give), it would be fairly certain that this would be a higher level than you are used with APCs. Many detailing APCs advertise in the 10-50:1 region but it would be likely that an appropriate dilution for a suitable wheel cleaner would be more like 100-200:1, for APC use.

You are probably gathering that there are a lot of 'suitable', 'appropriate', 'if' and 'but' terms going on - in other words it is easily possible but you would need your brand to tell you how to do it or you need a good lump of chemical knowledge.
thanks siir

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
01-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I like to use a dedicated wheel cleaner (such as sonax full effect or wolf gangs wheel cleaner) because they tend to work better than APCs. I have noticed that regular wheel cleaners that do not combat iron/brake dust particles (similar to iron-x) do not work that much better than an APC.

Neglected wheels = dedicated wheel cleaner that will combat iron and rust.

Maintenance = APC.

ihaveacamaro
01-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi all I have a ? to save time money and space (in my trunk) as I am a part timer:

Why have separate tire, wheel cleaners and why not stick to a decent apc or 1 bottle?

this is only for me I am not trying to influence those of you who have your system of doing things that work for you.

Steve

I clean real dirty wheels with dedicated wheel cleaner or Meg's D101 APC.

I clean tires with Meg's D101.

I maintain wheels with a soap/water mix in a foaming sprayer.

So 3 things instead of just 1, but the system works exceptionally well for me.

Pureshine
01-22-2014, 11:34 AM
I like to use a dedicated wheel cleaner (such as sonax full effect or wolf gangs wheel cleaner) because they tend to work better than APCs. I have noticed that regular wheel cleaners that do not combat iron/brake dust particles (similar to iron-x) do not work that much better than an APC.

Neglected wheels = dedicated wheel cleaner that will combat iron and rust.

Maintenance = APC.

:iagree: If the wheels are in good shape then apc is great. Meg's is not making the gallon size of APC+ anymore only the 5 gallon.

DaVinciAutoSpa
01-22-2014, 11:35 AM

THIS. I got tired of wasting money on 'wheel cleaners'.

allenk4
01-22-2014, 12:55 PM
:iagree: If the wheels are in good shape then apc is great. Meg's is not making the gallon size of APC+ anymore only the 5 gallon.

AutoGeek must have the last of it.

Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-all-purpose-cleaner-plus-d103.html)

On SALE $18.99 per gallon

PA DETAILER
01-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Thats news to me. So no more APC + in gallons? (orange). If so, glad i got two gallons of it!

Here is a good chart that has been posted before...

APC/APC+

APC+ is the better of the two for interior/extraction jobs on carpets, leather and upholstery as it is low foaming and has a more "friendly" scent.

Main uses: wheels, tires, engines, interior surfaces and upholstery, exterior trim...

4:1 for heavy duty cleaning
10:1 for light duty cleaning

Super Degreaser

Main uses: tires, engines...

Ratio - 4:1 for heavy duty degreasing
Ratio - 10:1 for light duty degreasing

Glass Cleaner Concentrate

Main uses: windows...

Ratio - 10:1

Wheel Brightener

Main uses: clear coated, factory painted and chrome wheels...

Ratio - 4:1

Last Touch

Main uses: spray and wipe detailer, clay lubricant...

Ready to Use for QD'ing

Ratio - 1:1 for claying

Hyper Dressing

Main uses: exterior trim, tires, engines, wheel wells, interior surfaces...

Ratio - 1:1 for high gloss
Ratio - 2:1 for medium gloss
Ratio - 3:1 for satin finish
Ratio - 4:1 for natural finish

DogRescuer
01-22-2014, 04:47 PM
A big THANKS to all.