PDA

View Full Version : "Paint Swapping"

crash73
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
My Dad has had a little paint swapping incident with his two cars...
He has a gray stripe on a white car, and a white stripe on a graqy car...

Is XMT4 a viable solution? How would someone try to resolve this issue with minimal cost (no body shop involvement)?

soonermike
07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
actually you might get away with XMT 3 and an orange pad. I had success with that getting black paint off a red car...

alban61
07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Try claying first, before trying a polish. Claying usually works. Had the same problem with my wife's burgundy car. Had a light blue stripe, AND a small DENT over the front wheel well!! Some idiot in a parking lot, I guess! Took me several minutes of claying, and the blue paint was gone. Couldn't even tell that there was another color paint on the car, except of course for that dent!
If clay doesn't work, don't go straight to XMT4. Try XMT2, or XMT3 first with a polishing pad. That'll usually clean it up.

bandgeek99
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Try claying first, before trying a polish. Claying usually works. Had the same problem with my wife's burgundy car. Had a light blue stripe, AND a small DENT over the front wheel well!! Some idiot in a parking lot, I guess! Took me several minutes of claying, and the blue paint was gone. Couldn't even tell that there was another color paint on the car, except of course for that dent!
If clay doesn't work, don't go straight to XMT4. Try XMT2, or XMT3 first with a polishing pad. That'll usually clean it up.

Sounds like good advice. . . I assumed you'd jump right into a polish but it makes sense that if the paint is just on top that the clay would take it off.

What should you follow up with though? If this car is "untreated"/never-detailed it may not have any protection on it anyway? I assumed you would QD the area then apply DG AquaWax or LSS? Feed back please

Jimmie
07-05-2007, 12:20 PM
At times a nonabrasive chemical polish will remove paint transfer, but I agree on trying clay first.

Al-53
07-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Try a AIO type product...if the transfer is not heavy it should clean it...if not a light polish should...if doing by hand use a terry applicator for a bit of bite...but a chemical or a chemical with lite abrasive cleaner type product should work if the paint transfer is not that bad....

there was a post where some one just used a cleaner wax and it removed it....

all depends on how bad

Al

alban61
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Sounds like good advice. . . I assumed you'd jump right into a polish but it makes sense that if the paint is just on top that the clay would take it off.

What should you follow up with though? If this car is "untreated"/never-detailed it may not have any protection on it anyway? I assumed you would QD the area then apply DG AquaWax or LSS? Feed back please
Yup! Clay will remove any protection (wax/sealant) that was on the paint too. DG AW or LSS will work to just protect the area.
However, if the car has never been treated or detailed. I'd just wash the car.....clay the whole car (if you feel up to it)......and apply your fav wax. Of course you can polish the car first, after claying, if you have a PC, and then apply your fav wax.