PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to dry my car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

StuDLei
01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
No matter the towel I use, I cannot slide a towel over the car to dry. If I do, it's requires too much pressure in order to do so, at least in my opinion.

My car is clayed often, so that's not the issue.

Now, it will be slick for the first wash (maybe two washes) after a wax, but then it's back to normal.

I currently use HD Guzzlers and pat dry, but it's a pain.

Are some cars just notorious for this or what?

I have a black 2004 350z.

weekendwarrior
01-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Clay removes wax, or most of it. Also wax won't last long. You can try a spray wax to help drying, spray wet surface and water will roll off in theory. Also spray wax as topper after each wash to extend your original wax.

Other choice, blowers. And sealants which last longer, or hydrophobic coatings.

Centexhokie
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM
I've noticed that the temperature seems to have a lot to do with it. If it is cold the water seems to stick much more than when it is warm. When it is warm most of water can be driven off with the hose, but when it gets cold it takes a lot more drying with the towel. I am using a detail spray to help, but it doesn't completely overcome the cold.

Romans5.8
01-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Try drying with a quick detail spray, waterless wash, or spray wax. That's what I do. Adds a bit of shine as a bonus, and lubricates. Another thing? Though it sounds counter-intuitive, don't use a dry towel. Soak the drying towel, then wring it out as best you can, and spray and dry each panel with a quick detail spray. Safest method my noobie self knows to dry a panel. I then go over each panel with a dry buffing towel to buff away QD/spray wax to a nice shine.

allenk4
01-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Use "Sheeting Method" for final rinse

CrashnBrn
01-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Try drying with a quick detail spray, waterless wash, or spray wax. That's what I do. Adds a bit of shine as a bonus, and lubricates. Another thing? Though it sounds counter-intuitive, don't use a dry towel. Soak the drying towel, then wring it out as best you can, and spray and dry each panel with a quick detail spray. Safest method my noobie self knows to dry a panel. I then go over each panel with a dry buffing towel to buff away QD/spray wax to a nice shine.

Does it make sense to use quick detail and then go through with a wax? Or might as well use the wax for drying?

Romans5.8
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Does it make sense to use quick detail and then go through with a wax? Or might as well use the wax for drying?

I would just try both and see what works best for you. It's been my experience that what works for one person doesn't work at all for another. Personally, I prefer a QD spray or waterless wash w/ carnauba over a spray-wax for drying. Important to note that spray wax (or a QD/WW with wax) shouldn't be considered a replacement for a traditional sealant or wax applied regularly. Wax wears away quickly and sometimes unpredictably. Personally, I don't treat my wax as a protective layer (even though it is), just cosmetic. I rely on sealants, applied by machine, to protect my paint. Then I top with wax purely for the look of it. That includes spray wax and things.

spiralout462
01-21-2014, 03:48 PM
You didn't mention which "wax" you like to apply. I have been using BLACKFIRE Black Ice. It seems to sheet water very efficiently! It is also holding up very well this winter. After a weekly wash I use a "sheeting" rinse followed by a leaf blower. I only pull the Guzzler out for what ever drips out of the side mirrors.

swanicyouth
01-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Without the Master Blaster and DI water I can't dry a car to save my life when it's cold. Water drips out of seams, behind mirrors, and out of cracks forever. Maybe look into getting some type of air drying tool.

StuDLei
01-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Man, I should have put a little more info into that first post!

I ONR my car and that is IT (so no sheeting method). Here in NE in the winter it gets washed maybe once every 4-6 weeks (just depends on the weather). In the summer I wash it multiple times per week.

Since the car does does get super dirty here, I will rinse it off first, but it does little because the water pressure is pretty poor. I plan to polish my car with SF4500 twice a year anyways, so I'm just careful ONRing a super dirty car.

Anyways, even if I use a sealant (Optimum) I still have the same problem, no matter if summer or winter. The slickness just does not last long at all. I've tried drying with Optimum Spray Wax, but get the same results. I suppose if I waxed the car every time or two I washed I could keep that same super slickness, but that's more than I really wanted to do. Maybe I'll change my opinion.

Come summer I'd like to try Ultima's sealant as I hear it's super slick, just not sure how long that slickness will last.

I'd also like to try ONRWW and see how that goes.

StuDLei
01-21-2014, 04:24 PM
How much are these spotless water systems you guys have? They're very expensive, right?

Pureshine
01-21-2014, 04:34 PM
If you keep a sealant on it it should dry really easy I'm not a fan of wax really anymore. Most them do not have great durability and I only wax show cars and garage queens.

KillaCam
01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
If you keep a sealant on it it should dry really easy I'm not a fan of wax really anymore. Most them do not have great durability and I only wax show cars and garage queens.

Except collinite! Which I don't consider a wax.

I think the OP needs to get a leaf blower and spray wax/QD.

StuDLei
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Except collinite! Which I don't consider a wax.

I think the OP needs to get a leaf blower and spray wax/QD.

I ONR, so a leaf blower won't help. And I already have spray waxes and QD.

Jaretr1
01-21-2014, 05:37 PM
My drying process is as follows: I sheet water over the car, this leaves the car 90% dry on a well maintained protected finish by itself. I then spray quick detailer (XMT Final Finish quick detailer because its decent and cheap) and use a waffle weave microfiber drying towel and wipe the car. I end up with a spot free shiny and slick finish. The QD adds a little lubrication to help prevent swirls and scratches.