PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with using APC instead of dedicated wheel cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

theparmachine
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I have the new Meg non-acid wheel cleaner and it works great but what am I gaining versus APC only?

I hit the wheels with Iron X every once in a while but other than that what's wrong with APC only for tires and wheels?

jamesboyy
01-20-2014, 11:50 AM
If the apc is too strong it may can cause etching or some kind of damage if your wheels are delicate but I MO i see nothing wrong with useing apc on wheels, and tires it also saves money for other products

theparmachine
01-20-2014, 11:58 AM
I would be using Simple Green or Meg APC or Meg APC+

GenesisCoupe
01-20-2014, 12:00 PM
I use Meguire's all purpose cleaner (orange color) diluted and never had any problems. For higher end details i use the Sonax.

Nick McKees37
01-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Dedicated wheel cleaners are designed to break up, dissolve, or release ferrous (iron containing) brake dust particles. By removing these particles, you greatly reduce the chance of long-term damage (pitting, corrosion, etc).

So while you CAN use an APC to clean your wheels, keep in mind it's not going to work as well as a dedicated wheel cleaner for the above mentioned reasons.

jamesboyy
01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Those all purpose cleaners are good afforable choices to go with though you could dilute them also if you fell they are to strong at one point or another

thebamboo23
01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
If this is your personal vehicle, I think hitting it once with Sonax Full Effect (or equivalent) and thoroughly removing all brake dust particles, then maintaing your wheels on a weekly basis with an APC would be ideal

Just02896
01-20-2014, 12:21 PM
If this is your personal vehicle, I think hitting it once with Sonax Full Effect (or equivalent) and thoroughly removing all brake dust particles, then maintaing your wheels on a weekly basis with an APC would be ideal

:dblthumb2::iagree:

Saves a lot of green as well!

FUNX650
01-20-2014, 12:58 PM
-Dedicated wheel cleaner/Sonax FE, or equivalent, as mentioned
-Seal the wheels (Wax, Sealant, Coating)
-Car-wash shampoo w/"mitt"/brush of choice

Afterwards:
-Dedicated wheel cleaner/Sonax FE, as mentioned...when deemed necessary
-Seal...
-Etc.

I find P21S/S100 wheel cleaners to be very effective.
Translation: Safe for all "types" of wheels.

Note:
For that sharp dressed look: Don't forget about the inner barrels!!

:)

Bob

PA DETAILER
01-20-2014, 02:24 PM
I have used megs APC + (orange) 4:1 without drama. Big $ saver. Using single bottles of wheel/tire cleaner can get expensive!

Bill1234
01-20-2014, 03:24 PM
I maintain my wheels with apc, but every 6 months or so, I will let iron x work on the wheels. My wheels are always dirty as they are Audi, but the apc and ironx do a good job

VP Mark
01-20-2014, 03:42 PM
I commonly use APC 1:4 for wheels. I've used sonax many times before and honestly could not tell the difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

cardaddy
01-20-2014, 03:54 PM
I always use APC+ (at 10:1) AND Megs wheels cleaner (non acid) on all wheels and have never had any problems. Actually I think that APC+ does a better job on the rubber than the wheel cleaner.

I would use the acid type Wheel Brightener more often but I've yet to find a sprayer that'll hold up to it! Nick is sending me some more with this order, maybe they'll work more than once. :dunno: :D

FWIW I'll use APC+ @ 4:1 in the fenderwells and on the tires. (So yeah, I carry three bottles on my tire bucket. That and no less than EIGHT brushes, sometimes TEN.) What is the world coming to when we end up with 12 or more dedicated wheel & tire cleaning brushes? ;)

DogRescuer
01-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Dedicated wheel cleaners are designed to break up, dissolve, or release ferrous (iron containing) brake dust particles. By removing these particles, you greatly reduce the chance of long-term damage (pitting, corrosion, etc).

So while you CAN use an APC to clean your wheels, keep in mind it's not going to work as well as a dedicated wheel cleaner for the above mentioned reasons.

but you can ironx first correct?

PiPUK
01-22-2014, 09:46 AM
As I noted on another thread, contrary to what seems to be the common belief, APCs are not that strong. Take note that most of the time we discuss detailing APCs and diluting all the way up to 50:1. That is not actually a very big dilution for APCs, several of the industrial multi-purpose cleaners we would make will be diluted in excess of 200:1. Now, alkaline wheel cleaners (well the ones we make) tend to be stronger than APCs. It is unlikely that an APC used neat would compare with the strength of a wheel cleaner. Moreover, the wheel cleaners often are caustic based whereas the APCs are not (caustics tend to be a risk for sensitive finishes).

What this all adds up to say is that most APCs will be perfectly acceptable for use on wheels, at any dilution. On average, the APC will be much less likely to do damage than a wheel cleaner. The issue is more likely that an APC will just not have the strength to remove all the contaminants.