PDA

View Full Version : Question about BMW Z4

D
07-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Im working on a 2005 BMW Z4 right now. I need to remove the seats, but I wanted to make sure that doing so wont cause any problems. For example, I removed seats in my dads Audi and the air bag light is on.

Thejoyofdriving
07-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Um, i have never tried removing the seats on my bimmer but it looks fairly easy, you might want to call a bmw dealership and ask them ,or check out a bmw forum.

Thejoyofdriving
07-03-2007, 04:17 PM
i dont see why the airbag light would come on, maybe it is a Coincidence.

Truls
07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
That may happen in the BMW too, unplugging air bag sensors gives the car the impression that something is wrong, and it needs a trip to the dealer to reset the brain.

Just by swithching wheels on a BMW makes it look like a christmas tree, light and "pling pling" allover the place.

I never tryed it, so i wouldnt do it, but its your choice

Someone know if its OK?

D
07-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I dont want to do it until I know I wont have any problems. It doesnt look like there is an air bag on the seats, so thats good.

dontsleeponit
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I dont want to do it until I know I wont have any problems. It doesnt look like there is an air bag on the seats, so thats good.

That doesnt mean it wont cause problems. There is almost certainly a PPS (passenger presence system) and a seat posistion circuit, that will all set an airbag light IF... you turn the key to the on posistion when the connectors are disconnected.

Start off by removing the key. Then let the car sit for a min of 15min before you do any disconnecting of electrical components. This will let the reserve power still in the airbag system disapate, and will most likely leave you with no issues at the end when your all back togethor. DO NOT turn insert the key while anything is disconnected, it will most likely set an airbag fault light. I say most likely for all of this because I have no direct BMW airbag system knowledge, Im a GM guy.

If youd like to be even safer, you can disconnect the neg battery cable and then wait 15min, but me not being familiar with BMWs at all, I dont know if this is nescisary.

In any case be safe, airbags can be dangerous and are also very expensive.

Jimmie
07-03-2007, 05:29 PM
What's going on? Carpet stains?

BILL
07-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Be safe....check with the dealer........

Nica
07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
What's going on? Carpet stains?

I agree, do tell...what's going? Whacha doing :D

dontsleeponit
07-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Be safe....check with the dealer........

true, this may be the best advice, it cant hurt...

BILL
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
true, this may be the best advice, it cant hurt...

Smart;)

D
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Couldnt get in touch with the dealership, already tried that. Sent them an email and Ill call again tomorrow.

Problem is there is dirt EVERYWHERE, some of which I cant get to because of the seats and rails.

But dont worry, Im not removing them until I hear some for sure info. But its looking like I should disconnect the battery, wait 15 min, then remove the seats. Problem with that is what will I have to reset if I disconnect the battery? Maybe just the radio, but I dont have the manual which means I dont have the code.

Nica
07-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't know, radio would be the least of my worries. I don't know much about BMW's but I do know that my Lexus is touchy about disconnecting the batery...it don't like it for some reason. I haven't tried it and don't really want to try it.....but if you do disconnect it please keep us informed.

Best of luck to you bro.

D
07-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks man.