PDA

View Full Version : How To Fix this paint job.

Pages : [1] 2

TheBadCarMan
01-20-2014, 09:24 AM
I am not sure if this is in the right thread but.

I Brought a 2nd hand car that has a Metallic blue paint.

First, the car looks like a 10 year old painted it.
On the side of the car there are what looks like a paint overlay of to much paint which provides a slightly uneven coat, its not on the entire side but you can barely tell it is overlay until you look at it in the sun and see the bad shine it has and the difference in color compared to the rest of the car.

The majority of the car looks fine, well not as bad as the sides. I have not buffed / wet sanded or anything to the car yet as i am also not sure if it is a single paint or has a clear layer on top.

From what i have described do you think a buff with electric buffer will even the paint out and take as much as the bad paint on the exterior off the car and bring out the underlay of paint to even all the way around or will it make it look worse ? i am guessing the car being metallic blue it will make it harder or something.

Thanks in advance and feel free to move this thread if its in the wrong place. i will stick around to verify anything aswell.

I have been searching around for this kind of problem but havnt seen anything to my specifications.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Could you post some pictures to help us determine which route to take.

TheBadCarMan
01-20-2014, 10:16 AM
I dont have access to the car at the moment but i have a few saved photos, not sure if you will be able to make it out

So basically on the side of the car there is a really bad color like the paint went darker as they were painting and it goes over the main coat.
And in the sun the glare is really bad and uneven

ken tuep
01-20-2014, 10:38 AM
If the basecoat was not sprayed properly, its gonna need to be repainted. There is no way to even.out a poorly sprayed job without redoing it.

You could smooth out the clearcoat by wetsanding and buffing it back up, but it sounds like its too bad to make it look even.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
01-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Here's an article that shows how how to figure out what type of paint you have...

How to Test for Single Stage or Clear Coat Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/34829-how-test-single-stage-clear-coat-paint.html)

Regardless of the paint type, if/since you already bought the car, assuming it's mechanically sound and your goal is to make the car look good/decent as a daily driver, then simply treat the paint like any car and buff it out.

Forget the title of the thread below as it says the how-to information is for a BRAND NEW car but in reality, the "steps" it outlines for you to follow apply to any cars.

There's videos, lots of info and links to even more articles with related information. Read through it, gather your supplies and go for it!

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

:)

TheBadCarMan
01-20-2014, 10:09 PM
By Looking at those picutures do you think they could have buffed that car badly ? which caused paint to burn ect. is it fixable if that is the case ?

ken tuep
01-21-2014, 07:03 AM
The pictures make it difficult to see what's actually going on with the paint. I was going off of your description, of the paint condition.

If there is anyway to get some better pictures, we can help you better.

Doo you have any tools or products?

TheBadCarMan
01-21-2014, 07:21 AM
I have a buffer . some compound/polishes car cleaning products, i will be buying some clay blocks soon.

I will take some photos when i can .

TheBadCarMan
01-24-2014, 05:14 AM
Taking Forever to get time to get pictures, but i think it is This

How to Buff Patch Paint on Cars

the description is the same, its different color and looks like someone patched it.

How to Buff Patch Paint on Cars | eHow (http://www.ehow.com/how_7342063_buff-patch-paint-cars.html)

if this was the case it being patch paint, would this method work ?

ken tuep
01-24-2014, 08:14 AM
So you think they are blend repairs? The clearcoat appears gritty or dry looking?

I wouldn't use the techniques in the article you posted. A half cup of compound is a lot. You might use that much for an entire vehicle. I'd read up on Mike Phillips process for compounding and polishing paint. He also has many videos showing exactly how to do, if you are more of a visual learner.

GenesisCoupe
01-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Those taillights and rims say a lot about the previous owner...and now you are having issues with the paint.. You may have to repaint.

tuscarora dave
01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Pour 1/2 cup of liquid buffing compound onto the clean buffing pad. Place the buffing pad on the surface of the hood of the car and turn it on a medium to high speed.

Imagine the splatter that would cause...:laughing::laughing:

To the OP, welcome to Auto Geek Online.

I'd suggest reading over Mike Phillips' articles and watch any linked videos he offers in those videos. Like Mike suggested, gather the correct tools and have at it buffing out the entire car and then see where you are with it, or how the paint blends look at that point. You might be happy with the car overall and just need to address the paint blend if possible.

Looking at the pictures just shows a car in the dark that clearly has much room for improvement overall, so I'd suggest doing as much of these improvements, then as time permits get some well lit photos of the paint blend problems that you want to repair. Having the rest of the car cleaned and polished up will allow for better photos of the work that needs to be completed to straighten out (if possible) any blends in the paint.

tuscarora dave
01-24-2014, 09:04 AM
I have a buffer . some compound/polishes car cleaning products, i will be buying some clay blocks soon.

I will take some photos when i can .

What model buffer do you have now? Is it a rotary, a DA or is it a wax spreader type of buffer.

Most folks just coming into the world of auto detailing have these wax spreader type buffers and need to get a tool that will actually work to level paint to remove paint defects.

So which type do you have?

TheBadCarMan
01-24-2014, 07:36 PM
I was just told it could be that someone sanded the paint down to respray, if this was the case what can i do apart from respray to make it look its best.

Im going to be going to a detailer to help me out, just curious to what they say it is to the method they will take. .

TheBadCarMan
01-24-2014, 07:37 PM
misspost again, ###