PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Power

kirkatizer
01-19-2014, 12:49 AM
So I got into a deep discussion today with my good friend about powering my mobile detailing station. Our first go to thought was a generator. But I didn't really want to spend 1500+ on a Generator and have to fill it with gas and stink up the place. Not to mention the noise.

At this point I realized my friend has a Small solar panel. 3 deep cycle batteries and a AC - DC converter he bought a year or two back for his appliances and TV's to save money. He's noticed a small change in the bills from it too! Which got me thinking I could do this for my power supply as a mobile detailer?

My first thought is to just go on a bigger scale. Start off by buying 6-8 Deep Cycle Marine batteries(600-800$). Then making a nice wood box for them to store in your vehicle(10-20$). Get the hardware to attach all the terminals as one(20-30$). Buy a 2500Watt power inverter (AC - DC)(200$). Grab a decent Battery charger. (50-100$). So (880$-1,150$) to set this up. I think it would be just as efficient if not more than a generator without the noise or gas fumes and prices.

Considering I already have a nice battery charger it seems like a cheap efficient way of reliable power for mobile detailing. Plus if I could go green that would be cool. :) Powering my Shop-Vac, Compressor, Buffer, Steamer, Pressure Washer. I don't know about anyone else but the smell of gas fumes in my car and that generator noise dirves me crazy and is enough of a reason for me to try this :nomore: . But that just might be me.

Let me know what you think!

~Kirk

kirkatizer
01-19-2014, 08:43 PM
No thoughts?

Paul Mitchell
01-19-2014, 10:15 PM
It's a great idea but I have no knowledge of solar power and how much you would need but I really like the concept.

kirkatizer
01-19-2014, 10:44 PM
You could work up to something like that. But I would just throw on the battery charger once I got home.

FUNX650
01-19-2014, 11:21 PM
-What's the Contingency plan for those cloudy days?

-Do you have a ballpark figure on what would be the total area (sq.ft.) of the solar panels needed to power-up a generator to operate polishers, vacuums, etc...for a "full detail"?

Good idea! :props:

Bob

WillWashesCars
01-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Not sure how much square footage is needed to generate that kind of power but I think it is much more than what you can get being mobile. Also the amount of weight in batteries will most likely be substantial. But then again, I don't know all that much about this but I am definitely interested by it.

BlkHemiLTD
01-20-2014, 12:27 AM
not sure you would need the solar panel at all.... Probably just have to throw on the charger each day. I am definitly intereseted as well. Considering we have batteries propelling 3000lb cars around these days getting a set in parallel to operate detailing equipment for a day doesnt seem out of the question.

kirkatizer
01-20-2014, 12:31 AM
I was planning to just hook up the batteries at the end of the day or whenever they needed to be recharged. Rather than spending 500+ on a quality solar panel and a converter. Plus I don't know too much about solar panels.

Really looking into all this. Jotted down all my electrical requirements for my equipment. Blower, Compressor, Pressure Washer, Shop-vac- And my buffer. Tying together the needs of the equipment with a quality AC-DC converter. Then presenting it to a more Electrical savy crowd to get some opinions. Keep you posted.

WillWashesCars
01-20-2014, 12:33 AM
Definitely keep us posted. This could become a very viable option for mobile detailers.

FUNX650
01-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Then presenting it to a more Electrical savy crowd to get some opinions.

Who says we're not that "electrical savvy crowd"...
of whose opinions you'll be seeking?

Regards,

Alessandro "Bob" Volta

kirkatizer
01-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Who says we're not that electrical savvy crowd you're seeking?

Regards,

Alessandro "Bob" Volta

Just an assumption hence no one jumped in with any insight, and this is a detailing forum.

Finding some good information on batteries. A lot dealing with "Battery Banks" People use for their solar panels at home. starting to see the light! Work in 5 hours I got to sleep. Researching has been delayed.

BlkHemiLTD
01-20-2014, 01:20 AM
Go Power! Solar Extreme Complete Solar and Inverter System with 480 Watts of Solar : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-Solar-Extreme-Complete/dp/B009IRX0US/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

Looks interesting seems to have literally everything you would need however those panels are quite large!

STPETEDALE
01-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I've always been a fan of extension cords.While I do have generators, I generally just plug into customers outlet.I know it's considered taboo to not have water and electric onboard but it works for me. The price of solar has come down drastically but still not where it needs to be. You can find a nice generator for under $500.

AZ Mike
01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Goalzero has battery packs and solar panels to charge them. They are portable set ups. I don't know if they would have enough power for what you need, but worth checking out.

kirkatizer
01-20-2014, 07:15 PM
I use the customers outlets and water very frequent. When I don't have that option Id like to have this as a back up. I'm not looking into getting any solar panels right now. As of use for when you don't have that customers outlet option. Plus I've had a few outlets that I pop the breakers with running my compressor. That's just inconvenient.

People say to get a battery gauge to show the batteries life. They say if it runs below 80% It can damage your inverter, equipment or mainly batteries.

I found a thread from 2006 on Autoptia.org which many detailers stated they ran their stuff off a 1800+ watt inverter with no problem. They used 4 marine batteries. I will be using about 6 so now to get informed on the best quality inverters and marines batteries and such.

I've seen alot of topics of people using this technique to power their mobile RV's and when the power goes out in homes. Stating they run Microwaves, TV's Lights, Fridges. But I think it all comes down to knowing the Electrical output of your tools and matching that with the right batteries and inverter.

"A 105 Amp-Hour battery can deliver 5.2 amps constantly over a 20 hour period before it's voltage drops below 10.5 volts. At which point the battery is discharged."

My Flex runs at 5.7 Amps. So with the research and electrical knowledge I've been gaining. I should be fine with 5-8 Batteries. I'm just real hesitant on jumping in on the purchase. I've never been one to waste money to see if something might work. Yet with all the research and threads ive been seeing. I think it will work.