PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a kit for my car

Trinex
01-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Hello, I'm sort of new to the world of detailing, but now I want to get more serious. I'm looking to put together a kit for my IS250 in smokey granite mica, which is in a slightly neglected condition from parking outside. It also does have some rock chips, scratches, and other stuff that I need to correct with touch up paint (which I'll be buying OEM paint and clear coat from the dealer). I'll also be using this stuff on other family cars that are white and gray.

I have basic equipment, like a wash bucket and grit guard, foam cannon, and CG soap.

HF DA
LC 5" backing plate
LC CCS 5.5" pads 6 pack (2 orange, 2 white, 2 blue)
Pinnacle XMY pad care combo
CG chenille microfiber wash mitt
CG super towel
CG Silk Shine
CG stripper Scent
Sonax wheel cleaner
CG poly clay bar (blue) and lubricant
CarPro Iron X (not sure if I need this)
Blackfire SRC Duo
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant (or Ivory midnight sun wax)
CG Hybrid V7 (or midnight sun instant detailer)
CG Bare Bones

Is there anything I should add, take out, or change? I originally tried to keep a budget of $200, but forgot that the DA and pads would cost that much.
I was also thinking I could just start very simple and get this kit instead Griot’s Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wolfgang-kit.html) and a clay bar, getting more stuff later, though shipping costs does make it less economical (no free shipping to HI)

As for repairing the paint chips and damages, when should I do that in relation to detailing the car?

Thanks!

Trinex
01-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Can't seem to edit my post, but here's another option I could go with

Griot's wolfgang combo
LC 5" backing plate
CG super towel
CG stripper Scent
Sonax wheel cleaner
CG poly clay bar, light with ONR
Wolf's chemicals decon gen
Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant (or Ivory midnight sun wax)
CG Bare Bones

Bill1234
01-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Nice work on product choice so far, I would say to buy iron x and zep citrus and a sprayer bottle. Zep is an all purpose cleaner and can be used on near anything. Iron does what sonax does, but is a bit cheaper and can get multiple uses out of it. Collinte 476s is a 1 year wax. which is alot more affordable than what you want to buy

Trinex
01-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the input! Would I be better off going with the blackfire SRC combo or the WG for my paint? And the bottle of sonax is actually $16 vs the $20, but I guess I'll go with something that'll be safe on paint too.

Here's the updated list then

Griot's wolfgang combo (should I keep the 6" pads or switch them to 5.5")?
LC 5" backing plate
CG super towel x12
CG stripper Scent
Iron X/Wolf's chemicals decon gen
Collinite 476
CG Silk Shine
CG Bare Bones

I do have VRP

Bill1234
01-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the input! Would I be better off going with the blackfire SRC combo or the WG for my paint? And the bottle of sonax is actually $16 vs the $20, but I guess I'll go with something that'll be safe on paint too.

Here's the updated list then

Griot's wolfgang combo (should I keep the 6" pads or switch them to 5.5")?
LC 5" backing plate
CG super towel x12
CG stripper Scent
Iron X/Wolf's chemicals decon gen
Collinite 476
CG Silk Shine
CG Bare Bones

I do have VRP

I never have used those actually, I usually just use iron x on slightly wet paint

Trinex
01-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Huh, I didn't finish my post. I don't think I was going to say anything important anyways.
I'll probably stick to the wolfgang combo.

Should I add any products to go over the 476? Or would the hybrid V7 be able to give it a little more depth?

BlkHemiLTD
01-18-2014, 02:01 AM
mmmm stripper scent haha vanilla musk is the best way to describe it i guess. Doesnt ever last more than a day or two for me but i just keep the little bottle in the door pocket and spray when it needs a boost.

Trinex
01-18-2014, 02:19 AM
mmmm stripper scent haha vanilla musk is the best way to describe it i guess. Doesnt ever last more than a day or two for me but i just keep the little bottle in the door pocket and spray when it needs a boost.

Hey, I'm sure there's a stripper out there that smells like vanilla musk! And I just wanted something to help keep the car smelling better. I like new car smell, but I've smelled the CG one before but it didn't seem quite right.

Trinex
01-18-2014, 08:13 AM
A couple more questions before I place my order tomorrow.
Do I need any microfiber pads? I heard that they have better cutting power.
And do I need any glass polishes? I'll be picking up stoner invisible glass and rainx locally. And would any of the products I've listed work to seal headlights?

Trinex
01-18-2014, 05:42 PM
So... I found a discount code so I might pick up all finish paint protection for my car and use the collinite on the family cars. It's on sale anyways. Saving money to spend more money. I also think I'll be going with 845 instead of the 476 because I heard it's easier to use.

BlkHemiLTD
01-19-2014, 01:00 AM
yes the microfiber pads will give more cutting power on the DA (this is what they were designed to do) they are pretty much my go to now and foam only occasionally. I still use foam to finish and wax though. I have been very impressed by the 5in MF pads on the GG6 polisher and now Meguiars has the new xtra cut microfiber pads as well.

Trinex
01-19-2014, 03:31 AM
Good to hear! I actually threw a single pad in to test it out and maybe I'll get more down the road. I actually ended up ordering LC flat pads so I'll stick with that for now.

And I forgot to order ceriglass and glass polish pads for the older cars. Would AG let me add that onto my order or would it be unnecessary?