PDA

View Full Version : To clay or not to clay - that is the question

Pages : 1 [2]

makdaddy626
07-03-2007, 12:51 PM
...So, the point is, clay is imparitive to prep for polishing.

Since I will not be "polishing" (other than the chemical version - Klasse AIO) are you saying I shouldn't clay? I don't have a PC.

Truls
07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
trust me clay is abrasive... I just tested DP clay and poly clay under the lights. And I found marring with both bars. But, I applied DP 101 to the door and the next morning checked the results and no marring was visible under direct sun light. So, the point is, clay is imparitive to prep for polishing.

Same goes with me

Noticed that also on my car and a BMW X3 i clayed, so from now on I just clay when i know im polishing after. it doesnt mar much but in direct light its noticable.

On a Audi, i didnt see any marring so it probably depends on how hard the CC is.

Jimmie
07-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Don't use much downward pressure. Use enough to keep the clay against the panel. Let the clay float accross the paint on a thin layer of lube. If you feel it grab on a dry spot stop and lube that area. You'll have it down in short order.

A1monky
07-03-2007, 01:08 PM
You dont have to use a PC. I didnt apply the DG101 w/ a PC.
Sorry is I mislead you, the Kaio should be sufficent, along with Wolfgang.
If you are unsure try a test panel like I did.

Truls
07-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I used DG 101 by hand to correct the marring after, and that solved the problem, i dont know how much the Klasse will help, i never tryed it.

I did clay with lots of lube, no presure and the clay bar didnt grab once.

As A1monky says, test panel first and use good lights when inspecting.

This Is not ment to scare you from using the claybar, i have personaly only lightly marred two cars, and its not a common problem, and is easy to fix afters. And i still see the claybar as one of the most important product for me to get the end result i like..

A1monky
07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
This Is not ment to scare you from using the claybar,

Well said Truls, Clay bars are very safe to use. Just make sure you are paying attention to what your are doing. Anything can marr the clear... the key here is to use enough lube, and test a spot. Trust me taking the the time to test a spot may save you alot of trouble in the long run.