PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15 or 21

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

2shiny
01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
So I'm trying to decide between the Rupes 15 and 21.

Some say the bigger stroke of the 21 with a 5inch BP is the best, because of the bigger the stroke the better.
Others say that the 21 with the 5 BP isn't as smooth anymore as it used to be.
Yet others say the 15 is easier on curved panels and is more versatile.

I have a griot with a 5.5 BP and a 3BP for the smaller panels.
Why not go for a copy that's coming out. Suddenly everyone can make a polisher with a big stroke and as smooth as the Rupes. Why didn't they do it before?? Don't trust the copies...

parttimer
01-16-2014, 03:12 PM
I have no problem with a 5" plate on my 21 using hydrotech pads.

2shiny
01-16-2014, 03:43 PM
thx
wondering if the difference between the GG6 and the rupes 15 is big enough? does it correct well, or is it underpowered? is the 21 versatile enough for some curved panels,,,

parttimer
01-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I have a GG and would use it for curvy panels before I got my Flex. The Rupes does come to a halt on bends and such, however on acres of flat panel, nothing will top the 21. I find myself going between 2-3 different polishers while doing a car, I have a 3" BP on a harbor unit, 5 on the rupes and griott and changeable system for the flex.

KS_Detailing
01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
I had the chance to use the 15 & 21 w/ 5" & 6" bp on a few cars before I bought my own Rupes. It might just be me but the 21 w/ a 5" bp did not feel as smooth as a 15 or a 21 w/ a 6" bp. I also liked the smaller throw of the 15, thats just my own preference. I wasn't a fan of the ghost line that the larger throw creates. There wasn't really a ghost line with the 15. I found myself using the 15 rather than the 21. I also rarely use 6" pads so I most likely wouldn't use the 6" bp. I ended up with the Rupes 15.

When I was researching I did not find that much info on the 15. Most reviews or preference were for the 21. I just went with what I felt comfortable using. I was lucky to be able to use the 15 & 21 before purchasing my own. If I didnt have that chance I probably would have chosen a 21 w/ 5" bp off forum reviews. Either way you will get a great machine. If you plan to use larger pads than go with the 21 since its versatile.

swanicyouth
01-16-2014, 05:02 PM
I have a GG6 and I ended up picking up the 15 over the 21. A few reasons:

1. If your working on your own vehicles (me) the 15 comes ready to use out of the box. Pads for the 21 would be too big for me. So, if I got the 21 I would end up having to buy the 5" BP as well. That makes it even more expensive.

2. I was mainly planing on using the machine for final polishing or light defects on my own cars. The 21 was likely more than I would need. However, I really don't feel the there is much the 15 can't do in the right hands (mine).

3. I wasn't into monkeying around with switching BPs and possibly changing the characteristics of the machine. If I could get perfect paint with an 8mm orbit, I know I can do it with a 15mm orbit. I was mainly buying the machine for improving the comfort of polishing.

If your doing this for money, I probably would look at the 21. If you will be using it only occasionally - the 15 is all you will need.

ski2
01-16-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm going through this same search process myself, but primarily trying to decide between the 15 and the Duetto.

One thing that occured to me is -- the 5" Rupes backing plate is actually 4 7/8" which is the exact size of the Velcro on Buff & Shine 5.5" pads so I should be able to use my existing pads and be able to center them perfectly on the Rupes bp in hopes of maintaining the same smooth operation.

STPETEDALE
01-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I'd go for the rupes 21. I own the 15 and it's ok.Kinda like a porta cable xp. on steroids.No forced rotation. Not trying to stir pot but for corrections all day everyday the Flex really shines. Choose your poison:props:

Alansr
01-16-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm in the research process of a new buffer. I currently use a GG and I love the machine. There is nothing I haven't been able to do yet but I've read so much about how much faster the flex and rupes are at working around a vehicle. My detailing business is really taking off and if I can cut my time while not sacrificing quality I may make the investment.

STPETEDALE
01-16-2014, 05:50 PM
With the right tools you get twice the work done in half the time.I have several other polishes collecting dust as back ups. I would keep what you have as a back up and get one or the other.

2shiny
01-17-2014, 03:31 AM
well, I do this on the side, and limit myself to2 vehicles a months to have some time with the family.
I am afraid the 15 is like a pc on steroids like someone said... but it seems more versatile.

HateSwirls
01-17-2014, 06:50 AM
The Rupes 21 is very, very smooth to operate.
Used one for an hour a couple of weeks back and thought, man this is so much smoother than anything I ever used and I used many:)

STPETEDALE
01-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Not sure if you have considered the makita b06040? It's kinda the best of both worlds . Doesn't get the respect it deserves IMHO. There is a nice reveiw somewhere here.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Even the LHR12 blew away the competition.....

Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot's 6 and 3 inch polishers - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/44177-rupes-vs-griots-showdown-rupes-duetto-mini-vs-griots-6-3-inch-polishers.html)

Alansr
01-17-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm almost sold on getting a new polisher...now it's just deciding between the flex and rupes. After pads and all the other little extras I'll probably be looking at about a $500 investment.