PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15 or 21

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

TundraPower
01-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Tundra--is the Duetto as smooth as the 15? Do you use Rupes pads or others? Do none Rupes pads cause a reduction in the smoothness of operation? I noticed that the Rupes 5" backing plate is actually 4 7/8" which is exactly the same siz as the Velcro on Buff & Shine 5.5" pads so should make it simple to center the pad.

Duetto is slightly smoother especially in tight spots. I've said this before on many other threads and I'll say it again: Do not use non-Rupes pads on Rupes polishers. The polishers are too strong for the velcro backing on other pads. I've had 4 non-Rupes pads ripped off of my 21 while working. Proceed at your own risk.

ski2
01-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Duetto is slightly smoother especially in tight spots. I've said this before on many other threads and I'll say it again: Do not use non-Rupes pads on Rupes polishers. The polishers are too strong for the velcro backing on other pads. I've had 4 non-Rupes pads ripped off of my 21 while working. Proceed at your own risk.

Thanks for the reply!!! Strange about the pads as I've noted quite a few pros on another forum that are using non Rupes pads with great success and durability.

TundraPower
01-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the reply!!! Strange about the pads as I've noted quite a few pros on another forum that are using non Rupes pads with great success and durability.

If they want to use non-Rupes pads I think that's great. I said 4 times right? I was quick enough 3 times to pull the polisher away. The 4th time I wasn't. The polisher hit the surface and I paid $1600 to have it repaired. So, how many Rupes pads can you buy for $1600? There is a time and a place to try to save money --- this isn't one of them. Do as you wish :dblthumb2:

Kevin Brown
01-17-2014, 10:00 PM
I must have missed a pretty important testing session.

How was it concluded that the LHR15ES is less prone to having its backing plate stall under load (pressure, friction, panel curvature, etc.)

Unless the machine's "approach angle" was not adjusted to assist in minimizing an edge digging of its pad, I do not understand.

TundraPower
01-17-2014, 10:21 PM
I must have missed a pretty important testing session. How was it concluded that the LHR15ES is less prone to having its backing plate stall under load (pressure, friction, panel curvature, etc.) Unless the machine's "approach angle" was not adjusted to assist in minimizing an edge digging of its pad, I do not understand.

No idea what you are referring to. All of my Rupes polishers and sanders perform flawlessly on any surface. "Edge Digging", in the context you refer to it, is a flaw in technique, which can occur with any polisher combined with any pad.

Kevin Brown
01-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Apparently... you weren't the one that mentioned it!

2shiny
01-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Hi, you're probably responding on what I asked.
I was asking because of the scentence I put in bold in this quote:

Question:
"At the risk of starting a debate, would a more powerful motor be beneficial?"

Kevin Brown:
"Yeah, this could start a big debate!

I think you'll find that most guys complaining about stalled backing plate rotation are using LHR15's.

ski2
01-18-2014, 01:49 PM
"I think you'll find that most guys complaining about stalled backing plate rotation are using LHR15's."

Been doing allot of reading on the Rupes over the last few months on a number of forums in anticipation of a purchase and I've seen no evidence that the 15 is more prone to stalling than the 21 especially with the washer mod.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-18-2014, 05:28 PM
If they want to use non-Rupes pads I think that's great. I said 4 times right? I was quick enough 3 times to pull the polisher away. The 4th time I wasn't. The polisher hit the surface and I paid $1600 to have it repaired. So, how many Rupes pads can you buy for $1600? There is a time and a place to try to save money --- this isn't one of them. Do as you wish :dblthumb2:

I did some testing today and came to the conclusion that Rupes pads are definitely the smoothest on Rupes polishers. Not that other pads won't do a great job, the just may not be a smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john b
01-18-2014, 05:34 PM
which machine did you test with mark?

swanicyouth
01-18-2014, 05:36 PM
I did some testing today and came to the conclusion that Rupes pads are definitely the smoothest on Rupes polishers. Not that other pads won't do a great job, the just may not be a smooth.

Yep. I used some LC pads after using nothing but Rupes pads for a while and was like "this is not for me". But people will still buy other pads because they are $3 cheaper. Go figure.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Yep. I used some LC pads after using nothing but Rupes pads for a while and was like "this is not for me". But people will still buy other pads because they are $3 cheaper. Go figure.

I honestly did not believe Rupes when they said they're pads are the smoothest, thought it might be a marketing tactic. However, nope, it's true.

runrun411
01-18-2014, 05:42 PM

Like you said earlier about safety, it's all about the correction. I think I can live with it not so smooth as with original pads but I'll likely buy some anyway.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Like you said earlier about safety, it's all about the correction. I think I can live with it not so smooth as with original pads but I'll likely buy some anyway.

Sounds good to me!

The Rupes yellow and white pads finish great. The green and blue, not so much. If you're planning on a 1-step, green and blue are not the ticket, unless the paint is hard.

runrun411
01-18-2014, 08:19 PM
I honestly did not believe Rupes when they said they're pads are the smoothest, thought it might be a marketing tactic. However, nope, it's true.

I got a lot of CG Hexlogic in all colors. Now it seems like I gotta buy a bunch of Rupes pads. Uh-boy... KaChing :doh: