PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15 or 21

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

dsg03gt
01-17-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm almost sold on getting a new polisher...now it's just deciding between the flex and rupes. After pads and all the other little extras I'll probably be looking at about a $500 investment.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Flex or rupes. I want the flex because it is a beast and I like the direct driver. And I want the rupes because people say how smooth and a great machine it is and I also like using MF pads. Don't know which way to go.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Flex or rupes. I want the flex because it is a beast and I like the direct driver. And I want the rupes because people say how smooth and a great machine it is and I also like using MF pads. Don't know which way to go.

I own both. Don't bother using MF pads with the Flex 3401. The forced rotation is absolutely awesome, though! However, it makes the polisher more tiresome to use and harder control. The Rupes is 100% easier to use and less tiresome, but you're going to run into bogging sometimes. That can get very frustrating. They're both great machines, but are a lot different.

dsg03gt
01-17-2014, 10:16 AM
I own both. Don't bother using MF pads with the Flex 3401. The forced rotation is absolutely awesome, though! However, it makes the polisher more tiresome to use and harder control. The Rupes is 100% easier to use and less tiresome, but you're going to run into bogging sometimes. That can get very frustrating. They're both great machines, but are a lot different.

I usually have my mind made up on the rupes and I read a post or two buy you and go to the flex side again. I'm looking for an easy to use machine that won't beat me up.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2014, 10:29 AM
I usually have my mind made up on the rupes and I read a post or two buy you and go to the flex side again. I'm looking for an easy to use machine that won't beat me up.

Do your cars have mainly flat panels or a lot of curves? Do u plan on polishing other cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsg03gt
01-17-2014, 10:33 AM
My cars only have slight curves. And I do plan on doing other cars too.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2014, 10:37 AM
My cars only have slight curves. And I do plan on doing other cars too.

Are u thinking the 15 or 21?

TundraPower
01-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Even the LHR12 blew away the competition.....

Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot's 6 and 3 inch polishers - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/44177-rupes-vs-griots-showdown-rupes-duetto-mini-vs-griots-6-3-inch-polishers.html)

I loooooooove my Duetto and Mini. It's really not fair to compare Griots Garage and Rupes though.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I loooooooove my Duetto and Mini. It's really not fair to compare Griots Garage and Rupes though.

U have both already?????

TundraPower
01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
U have both already?????

I have all of Rupes polishers and sanders except the T50. I don't remove nibbs on a daily basis so no reason for it. Neat little machine though.

dsg03gt
01-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Are u thinking the 15 or 21?

Was thinking 21 with 5" bp. I have a ton of 5.5" pads already. But have heard people not liking that setup so idk if I would just be better off with the 15

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2014, 10:50 AM
I have all of Rupes polishers and sanders except the T50. I don't remove nibbs on a daily basis so no reason for it. Neat little machine though.
:props:

In my opinion, the Duetto seems to be the best OVERALL polisher Roo-pes offers. Why? I heavily prefer the PC style chassis over the longer 15 and 21 chassis. Also, with the smaller stroke, it seems there would be less chance of bogging on curved panels. Obviously, if you take a flat panel and compare correction, the 15 and 21 will outdo the Duetto, but, the 12mm stroke of the Duetto ain't no slouch! As the link I provided above, it shows the Duetto can still do some serious correction! Add the washer mod and you have even more rotation! Can't wait to get my Duetto very, very soon!! :dblthumb2:

2shiny
01-17-2014, 11:15 AM
I read the replies from Kevin Brown on the other topic. So question following this: Anyone that has both machines, or used both, notice that tha 15 stalls easier on cuved panels then the 21?

TundraPower
01-17-2014, 11:42 AM
:props:

In my opinion, the Duetto seems to be the best OVERALL polisher Roo-pes offers. Why? I heavily prefer the PC style chassis over the longer 15 and 21 chassis. Also, with the smaller stroke, it seems there would be less chance of bogging on curved panels. Obviously, if you take a flat panel and compare correction, the 15 and 21 will outdo the Duetto, but, the 12mm stroke of the Duetto ain't no slouch! As the link I provided above, it shows the Duetto can still do some serious correction! Add the washer mod and you have even more rotation! Can't wait to get my Duetto very, very soon!! :dblthumb2:

I can barely tell the difference between the 15 and the Duetto in correction ability. It makes up for its smaller throw by spinning much faster. If you use your Duetto as a wet sander take is easy...it cuts FAST FAST FAST.

ski2
01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
I can barely tell the difference between the 15 and the Duetto in correction ability. It makes up for its smaller throw by spinning much faster. If you use your Duetto as a wet sander take is easy...it cuts FAST FAST FAST.

Tundra--is the Duetto as smooth as the 15? Do you use Rupes pads or others? Do none Rupes pads cause a reduction in the smoothness of operation? I noticed that the Rupes 5" backing plate is actually 4 7/8" which is exactly the same siz as the Velcro on Buff & Shine 5.5" pads so should make it simple to center the pad.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Tundra--is the Duetto as smooth as the 15? Do you use Rupes pads or others? Do none Rupes pads cause a reduction in the smoothness of operation? I noticed that the Rupes 5" backing plate is actually 4 7/8" which is exactly the same siz as the Velcro on Buff & Shine 5.5" pads so should make it simple to center the pad.

Logically thinking, the Duetto should be smoother. :)