PDA

View Full Version : Will washing with Dawn "reactivate" Opti Coat

Pages : [1] 2

Calibmw23
01-15-2014, 06:52 PM
The beading on my car with opti coat is quite poor, sometimes it looks like nothing is there at all. The water just runs off the sides like a waterfall. I was reading online that washing with Dawn could help. Anybody try that? I don't want to strip it if in fact it is still there.

swanicyouth
01-15-2014, 06:54 PM
I think you should IronX it and clay it. Washing it with Dawn won't hurt - but likely won't help either, opposed to another quality soap.

hernandez.art13
01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
from my understanding from you post Calibmw23. I am assuming when you wash your car the water just runs off like a waterfall? As in sheeting?

Isn't that the purpose of Opti Coating your car? So nothing sticks to it (for the most part) I "personally" don't really care much for the beading part of evaluating one's car paint. I like to just see the water run off like you said a waterfall, or sheet off.

That is why instead of spraying a car with water and watching the beads just sit there, especially when talking to a potential customer. I just get cup of water and pour it on the paint and show them how the car pretty much dries itself on my own car. I suggested this back when I came on here, but people didn't like it very much so I just left it at that. I still do this method, instead of beading and letting the water sit on my paint, I prefer to sheet the water and getting everything and anything off my paint, but to each there own. Plus when you pour a cup of water you can show them how the car's paint will look once corrected. People didn't really like that either, oh well can't please everyone Im the MAN

Art:buffing:

HateSwirls
01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Run off the side?
I love when I see water running down my panels :)

Romans5.8
01-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Have you done the baggie test? It may just be that the paint is contaminated. As was already mentioned, iron-X and clay is the solution.

Rsurfer
01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Maybe the OC is gone from poor prep. How long has it been on and does it bead on the horizontal panels?

FUNX650
01-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Have you done the baggie test?
It may just be that the paint is contaminated.
As was already mentioned, iron-X and clay is the solution.
How did the paint....that's residing underneath the Opti-Coat Coating...become contaminated?
Isn't ~2 microns of Coating-protection enough to stop this from happening?

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/skep.gif

Bob

Rsurfer
01-15-2014, 07:49 PM
How did the paint....that's residing underneath the Opti-Coat Coating...become contaminated?

Bob

I'm sure he meant the OC is contaminated.

RTexasF
01-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Maybe it's doing what it's supposed to? Beading never impressed me, sheeting does.

Romans5.8
01-15-2014, 09:01 PM

Bob

Sorry Bob.

The surface of the vehicle, in this case, the surface of the OC may be contaminated. Naturally, I used the incorrect term! It is my understanding that beading and sheeting are affected by whatever is on 'top' regardless of what's underneath. So if you put wax on top of a coating, it'll bead like that wax, not like the coating. Likewise, if there's contamination on top of OC, then, it'll bead like a contaminated car! At least that's how I understand it.

Calibmw23
01-15-2014, 09:20 PM
It was put on in June 2013 by a well respected detailer he is actually known world wide but don't want to throw him under the bus on this one. I did the baggie test and its nothing too horrible, just a little here and there.

It's not sheeting, I can assure that, its been looking worse and worse the last few times, its is running like it would a car with no wax and then looks very blotchy.

Maybe the OC is gone from poor prep. How long has it been on and does it bead on the horizontal panels?

twitch77
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
That is why instead of spraying a car with water and watching the beads just sit there, especially when talking to a potential customer. I just get cup of water and pour it on the paint and show them how the car pretty much dries itself on my own car. I suggested this back when I came on here, but people didn't like it very much so I just left it at that. I still do this method, instead of beading and letting the water sit on my paint, I prefer to sheet the water and getting everything and anything off my paint, but to each there own. Plus when you pour a cup of water you can show them how the car's paint will look once corrected. People didn't really like that either, oh well can't please everyone
Art
:iagree:
I like exactly what you said and it makes perfect sense.

As a side note I'm still flabbergasted by the amount of people who think that Dawn is magic in a bottle.:dunno:

aim4squirrels
01-15-2014, 09:45 PM
As a side note I'm still flabbergasted by the amount of people who think that Dawn is magic in a bottle.:dunno:

It's not? :awman:

WillWashesCars
01-15-2014, 10:17 PM
I recommend just going back to the respected detailer and have him inspect it.

Rsurfer
01-15-2014, 10:48 PM
I recommend just going back to the respected detailer and have him inspect it.

:iagree: