PDA

View Full Version : CQuartz UK

The Critic
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Hey guys,

I remembered that one of the biggest selling points for Opti-Coat 2.0 is that any light swirls and defects will stay within the Opti-Coat layer. Therefore, if you decide to polish the vehicle, the amount of clear that is taken off will be minimized (since you would be removing the swirled-up Opti-Coat itself).

Does CQuartz UK or Finest have the same benefit?

Thanks.

swanicyouth
01-15-2014, 06:25 PM
OC is thicker, so theoretically more benefit there. CQ likely thins over time as well, it's just not "Poof! It's gone" one day. So, theoretically OC would offer more benefit towards what you are looking for. Who knows though. We all are basing the thickness and whatnot on manufacturers' claims. But, Optimum seems pretty reputable - so I tend to take their word for it.

parttimer
01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
What thickness does OC add? I've never seen that documented, just cquartz defines how thick their product is.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

swanicyouth
01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/16/bysy5e6a.jpg

mfrickman
01-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I wonder what the testing processes were for chemical and scratch resistance??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

TroyScherer
01-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Well the whole water spots are on the coating is true for both coatings. And if you polish them out you are removing the the coating. Based on my use of OC Pro and CQ I think that the only way for either to left after polishing you must either use a super fine polish or apply the coatings super thick, meaning multiple coats to build it up.

CQ is "silica glass coating" that will wear away over time. So I am sure that after awhile the water spotting could go through the coating.

The more I use and study these coatings I am not sure I fully believe the thickness and lifetime durability claims. Considering we apply a whisper thin layer of product that flashes off I am not convinced that these coatings are a thick as they claim. They could be that thickness in spots but I don't believe that they are as full surface coating.

I have been studying painting cars and the amount of product it takes to create the thin layer of clear coat that is on the car. I don't see how 10-15cc or 30-50ml of one of these products could equal that same amount.

With all that said I love both OC and CQ / CQUK...

silverfox
01-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Having used coatings since they were introduced a few years ago on my own cars, I'm not convinced they are as durable as advertised. They still scratch, still get etched, and frankly once that happens you have no choice but polish to correct which removes the coating and you're right back to square one. The only argument in my opinion that is legit is that the coating is taking the abuse and not the clearcoat which is true and with clearcoat getting thinner all the time a coating is more of an insurance policy.

But as far as thinking once you have a coating you're good to go without issues you'd be wrong. They require just as much maintenance as clearcoat does and in fact may require more because once you even think of taking a polisher to it to fix any imperfections, you are introducing another maintenance step.

And finally for those who love trying new products and want that perfect killer look, a coating will frustrate the hell out of you. They really were intended for the "set it and forget it " crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swanicyouth
01-16-2014, 08:42 AM
^^^ this is a good post and sums up my experience with coatings.