PDA

View Full Version : Jet wash detergents

Pages : [1] 2

ronbin
01-15-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't know whether this site deals with car owners in the UK so I may well be in the wrong place. If I am, I will move on.

I am trying to find out the most effective and best jet wash detergent for use on my car, a Toyota Yaris TR. There are quite a few on sale over here but most of them get poor reviews. There's an awful lot of chat about them but nothing strong enough to base a decision on.

Anyone here in the UK who has strong views and recommendations please??

ronbin

swanicyouth
01-15-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty far from the UK. But...

Your looking for a snow foam to use with a pressure washer? The stuff from Bilt Hamber is awesome. Very close to a touch free wash. In fact, I just used it an hour ago. It's green and smells like corn liquor - bit it works awesome.

Why doesn't AG carry Bilt Hamber ???

Edvard Grieg
01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
The detergent to use in a pressure washer is a pressure washer detergent cleaner. Pressure washing soaps can be found in powder form or liquid form. Powders are usually found in pre-packaged, dissolving packs that one can drop into water tank or bucket and the packs dissolve, allowing the compounds to mix with the water.

FUNX650
01-16-2014, 12:59 AM
A little pricey...But:
The best jet-wash detergent I've ever used was Aluma-Klean.

Note: :welcome:...to AGO!

Bob (Ohio, USA)

ronbin
01-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for your response. I will need to find out if Bilt Hamber is on sale over this side of the pond. If it is I will certainly get some and give it a try.

Thanks again, take care and stay warm. if you want webbed feet, come on over but don't forget your wellingtons and waterproof!!!

ronbin

ronbin
01-16-2014, 06:36 AM
Sorry Bob, I should have put Aluma-Klean. I will look for that one over here too. I might strike lucky and fine either Bilt Hamber or Aluma-Klean.

Thanks again Edvard too

ronbin

aim4squirrels
01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
A famous, long dead composer came back from the great beyond just long enough to post about auto detailing once and then vanished back into the ether.

At least he took the time to make a link to his auto parts sales website on his Sig line before slipping away from this mortal plane once again.

ronbin
01-16-2014, 10:06 AM
aim4squirrels, whats that got to do with Bilt Hamber please??

ronbin

PiPUK
01-17-2014, 04:58 AM
Pressure washing liquids are just TFRs by a different name. Snowfoams are TFRs, often less aggressive but generally higher foaming (there are some big brand exceptions). The problem you have is that there is no real thing as 'best' in this game. The general rule is that the more effective a product is at cleaning, the more aggressive and corrosive it will be and thus the more detrimental it will be to your LSP. This is not absolutely set in stone but it is a very very good guide. Detailing grade products generally will be in the light to moderate duty range because people do not want their fancy LSPs compromised. In truth, you will struggle to find a really heavy duty product from most detailing brands for this very reason.

So ultimately it boils down to how tough your LSP is and how much you value it. If you have opticoat on there, you can probably get away going into the commercial vehicle cleaners, they will be much more potent than detailing products and, since you have opticoat, they won't do much to the LSP. If you have are using wax, you really cannot do that as a handful of washes would strip it.

Last note, the term LSP safe is mostly a junk term. Almost nothing out there will do zero harm to your LSP, the question is not whether it is totally safe or not, it is how safe it is. In my experience, a quality LSP will stand up to almost any vehicle wash for one or two washes. That said a poor LSP can be stripped in a couple of washes by even a mild product.

Neers13
01-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Hello friends, in my country we don't get foam shampoo to prewash car... I wanted to know from you guys whether I can use Meguiars Soft Wash Gel shampoo instead of foam shampoo in my foam gun or foam canon? Thanks in advance friends.

ronbin
01-17-2014, 09:35 AM
PipUK, thanks for your response. I guess that what you are really saying is stick to a normal car shampoo and use the jet wash, lance and brush and never mind using something to try and remove the grime without the elbow grease required for the shampoo method.

As I am new to all this, I don't know what TFR's and LSP are/mean but from what you say, detergents are not a good thing. I have a three year old Toyota Yaris TR (from new) and when I got to 81, I thought I would treat myself to a Nilfisk jet wash to try and cut down on the labour side of things. I like to keep my car clean and tidy and well serviced but certainly don't want to start weakening or stripping off the paintwork so thanks for your advice. Finally, what in your opinion is a good shampoo to use please?

Kind regards,
RonBin

PiPUK
01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
TFR is Traffic Film Remover. It is a generic term which covers most vehicle cleaners which are intended to be used with pressure washing equipment. It is a term we tend to use a lot in the UK.

LSP is Last Step/Stage Protection. This will cover your wax or similar.

If you do not have any wax or similar on the vehicle then you don't need to worry about stripping them so you can go with a pretty potent cleaner. The truth is that you are probably better off going to your local motor factors and purchasing some TFR - you should be able to get 20L of something respectable for £25.

ronbin
01-18-2014, 06:02 AM
PIPUK,
The only Motor Factor we have near to where where I live is Halfords and I suspect that if I go there and ask for TFR, they will look at me with that vacant look on their faces and just like me will say, "what is TFR" or "sorry mate, we don't sell that." Would this "Snow Foam" do the job please??

Best wishes,

RonBin

Dogfather
01-18-2014, 07:06 AM
A famous, long dead composer came back from the great beyond just long enough to post about auto detailing once and then vanished back into the ether.

At least he took the time to make a link to his auto parts sales website on his Sig line before slipping away from this mortal plane once again.

Laughing Out Loud.

aim4squirrels
01-18-2014, 07:52 AM
aim4squirrels, whats that got to do with Bilt Hamber please??

ronbin

It's got nothing to do with Bilt Hamber.

It had everything to do with pointing out a non-supporting vendor/shill in an amusing way.