PDA

View Full Version : better detais thru marketing

Torsion Tool
07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
The PC with Edge pads just may be the lest effective and most infuriating, pathetic combination devised; it certainly is the least efficient. As stated recently, I am willing to ascribe pad failure after one full session (blue and white disintegration) to happenstance, but that coupled with the adapter breaking and extraordinary time for minimal progress is unbearable. Sure, it will polish well enough as long as the paint has minor surface damage but any correction is agony. Count on thirty minutes per two foot square using every conceivable combination in your arsenal (I use XMT 4 to 1). And yes, almost all that I use, easily several hundreds of dollars in products, came from AG. A neglected mid-sized car or small SUV crossover in need of remediation of moderate swirls will take three or four days with this combo. This includes frequent breaks as the machine WILL bog down in a light crosswind. Yes, I will be the good Doobie and call to kindly request a replacement adapter. If I can sneak it in tomorrow (tuesday) during a work break from the field I might be able to mail it thursday. Transit time there and turnaround means I may expect a new part maybe early next week. So the car is in stasis until then at the earliest assuming all goes well. At this point it is unlikely that I will order an UDM as it is the same technology, dual action, as the PC. The constant bogging with Edge pads is enough of a deterrent. Maybe I'll pick up a rotary and other pads at the local hardware store. Clearly, I need a new primary care system. Am thinking maybe D&D was right after all.

BlackCoupe
07-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I support you in your rotary decision. Edge makes an adapter for rotary, you know. :)

D
07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Polishing a car with the PC no matter what pad you use takes awhile. Thats why I just ordered a rotary and over $100 in new polishes. However, you shouldnt need to go from XMT 4- 1. You can just use XMT 4, then go to 1 to remove any marring.

Torsion Tool
07-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Was hoping to find the right combimation of pads with #3 & #4, yellow, green. Seldom used #2. Hope my fingers stabilize enough from the vibrating to call later today. Really wanted to make the E2K system work. It just shouldn't be touted as the perfect accompaniement to the PC. Chrome mags are a great thing, but they can't make a stock Pinto go fast.

coupe
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I quite useing the 2000 system with the PC, it kept killing adapters. However its all i use on my rotary.

What size pads did you use on the PC? 6" inch dont bog down hardly at all.

Nica
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Going from PC to rotary is much easier then you can imagine. The rotary is nothing to fear, it's just like a PC....with out the vibration ;D

I haven't used my Edge 2000 pads for a wile now, just Lake Country, Wool pads and Menzerna foam pads is all I use with my rotary.

You will enjoy switching to the rotary, I have more fun with a rotary compared to the PC...but that's just me.

Junebug
07-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I was using the velcro system on my PC, 6.5 " LC pads, no issues. I bought a Makita and I swear, I like to went ape-sh@t trying to center those pads. I swithed to Edge 2K 8" and I'm glad I did. If you want my advice, get a yellow and green wool, and a yellow and blue foam - should do it.

HighEndDetail
07-14-2007, 10:10 AM
The PC with Edge pads just may be the lest effective and most infuriating, pathetic combination devised; it certainly is the least efficient.
I find that hard to believe, take a look at this thread I did with the pc and edge pad.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/6211-2002-black-amg-e55.html

I am willing to ascribe pad failure after one full session (blue and white disintegration) but that coupled with the adapter breaking
I have never had a pad do that on my pc or udm ever. I have had 2 adaptors break, and were replaced in a few days. Thanks to Meghan and Aaron from EDGE

Sure, it will polish well enough as long as the paint has minor surface damage but any correction is agony. Count on thirty minutes per two foot square using every conceivable combination in your arsenal (I use XMT 4 to 1). A neglected mid-sized car or small SUV crossover in need of remediation of moderate swirls will take three or four days with this combo. This includes frequent breaks as the machine WILL bog down in a light crosswind
I have done some good paint correction with the pc, and now with the udm. With using the edge system. And Optimum/Menzerna/3m polishes all have worked to awesome results

BlackCoupe
07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsion Tool
I am willing to ascribe pad failure after one full session (blue and white disintegration) but that coupled with the adapter breaking

I have never had a pad do that on my pc or udm ever. I have had 2 adaptors break, and were replaced in a few days

I'm not trying to start anything--I just don't want Torsion Tool to have to feel like he's crazy. I had two Edge 2000 pads (white ones) disintegrate, throwing little foam pieces around. On the PC. I'm sure it was user error, just saying it can happen.

But I have also had problems with other manufacturer's pads, for various reasons from time to time--as I said, I am just posting this so TT doesn't feel alone. And I still use Edge pads, just the wool ones, at the moment, with the rotary