PDA

View Full Version : I learned you need to be careful cleaning the wheel wells.

movingforward
01-14-2014, 02:59 PM
So, I was cleaning the wheels of the 2014 Honda Accord for the first time with a micro-chenille wash mitt. I decided to wash the dirt layer on the wheel wells and before I knew it, the black coating was coming off! I then took my bare fingers and gently grazed the surface. The black coating rolled right off onto my fingers. Apparently, this coating is very fragile when wet (or maybe at all times). I guess I can only gently spray the wheel well with a foam gun at low pressure to clean it. Now I have to find a way to cover up the white marks I exposed. I have read other people using 3M rubberized undercoating. Has anyone else experienced this?

http://i.imgur.com/rqqnFZE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cHQENqW.jpg

Rival
01-14-2014, 03:10 PM
thats odd.....especially on such a new car.

Joeyavhu
01-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Ive used the 3M rubbberizred undercoating on both my personal trucks and also customer vehicles, its good for spraying on metal, dont know how well it would hold on plastic, probably pretty alright though.

Gen9Rolla
01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't be too happy about buying a car that has a coating that isn't built to withstand water. What happens when it rains?

hogie
01-14-2014, 03:25 PM
That shouldn't come off that easy at all. I have used plenty of undercoating with good results. However, some people say it allows rust to form underneath it and hides it until it becomes a real problem.

I haven't kept any cars long enough to discover if there is any truth to that.

Shane731
01-14-2014, 03:40 PM
I've used spray-on truck bed liner in the wheel wells before where the coating was coming off. No issues as of yet.

Paul Mitchell
01-14-2014, 03:44 PM
I'd take it back to the dealer and let them look at it. While you're there look at the other Accords to see if they have the same issue.

WillWashesCars
01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
This happened to my girlfriends WRX. The coating is coming off with little to no effort. You can always go pick up a can of the coating anywhere and spray some on to prevent any further corrosion.

Just02896
01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
I'd take it back to the dealer and let them look at it. While you're there look at the other Accords to see if they have the same issue.

Yep, have it touched up under warranty but omit the fact that you did the damage yourself! They should have used a better undercoat!

Andr3wilson
01-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Could have been sprayed in dirty

Klink10
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM
I would like to know if that is the cars paint color showing up or bare metal?

Just02896
01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
I would like to know if that is the cars paint color showing up or bare metal?

It's paint. No manufacturer leaves any part of the body bare.

HateSwirls
01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of such a thing dude.
That sucks, has to be a defect, if I were you I'd be on the phone with Honda right now and would ask for an explanation. ASAP!
Forget about the dealer, go to the source , Honda themselves.

ken tuep
01-14-2014, 06:37 PM
This is pretty common for undercoating. This happens to be the kind that is unpaintable, so it stays soft as to "repair " itself. It wont ever chip like hardened undercoat, but as you discovered, it will wipe off, and even wash off depending on the cleaner used.

Pretty much only car wash soap/ shampoo should be used as to not disturb the undercoating. Once its disturbed it can allow for problems later on down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

aim4squirrels
01-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Complain to dealer.

If you don't get anywhere there, you can use a number of products. I've been a fan of plasti dip in the spray can. Apply a few coats with wheels off, and mask off that area of the car while spraying. Like rotors, brakes and quarter panels I use worn out bed sheets usually.

Just be sure to clean any area you want the coating to stick to thoroughly.