PDA

View Full Version : need good wheel cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

asalesagent912
01-12-2014, 12:11 PM
so i have a 08 lexus i 250. the wheels always build up alot of dirt and break dust between washes. it absoultly drives me nuts. i just tried diablo gel concentrate and am not impressed with it at all, I bought it because i thought it would be a good value mixing with water. Soap and water work just as good as this stuff. I seen on this forum someone used royal brown
and i seen the video, looked good but i dont think they sell it here at auto geek. I was wondering if anyone else here has used it and what you thought or if u had any other wheel cleaner that was real effective but safe on most wheels.

Just02896
01-12-2014, 12:13 PM
so i have a 08 lexus i 250. the wheels always build up alot of dirt and break dust between washes. it absoultly drives me nuts. i just tried diablo gel concentrate and am not impressed with it at all, I bought it because i thought it would be a good value mixing with water. Soap and water work just as good as this stuff. I seen on this forum someone used royal brown
and i seen the video, looked good but i dont think they sell it here at auto geek. I was wondering if anyone else here has used it and what you thought or if u had any other wheel cleaner that was real effective but safe on most wheels.

Although it isn't the cheapest product, Sonax Full Effect is my go to for nasty wheels!

Price for one bottle has gone from $15.99 to $19.99 for some reason.
SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html)

The three pack is a MUCH better deal at only about $10 per bottle!
SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect 16.9 oz. Buy Two Get One Free Special! (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-bogo.html)

swanicyouth
01-12-2014, 12:36 PM
1Z Color Tec is the way to go. However, IMHO the best "fix" for brake dust is swapping out your brake pads for low dust pads and OptiCoating the wheels. That is a one time job and will save you tons of time, aggregation, and drive time with crummy wheels.

You can go from the hardest to keep clean wheels to the easiest to keep clean wheels overnight.

UglyBetty
01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
1Z Color Tec is the way to go. However, IMHO the best "fix" for brake dust is swapping out your brake pads for low dust pads and OptiCoating the wheels. That is a one time job and will save you tons of time, aggregation, and drive time with crummy wheels.

You can go from the hardest to keep clean wheels to the easiest to keep clean wheels overnight.

Ding ding ding.......We have a winner here on using better pads! I never skimp on brake pads for this exact reason, good ones dust less.

jgibson2980
01-12-2014, 12:53 PM
griots has there hd wheel cleaner on sale on advance auto parts online for 9.99, you can choose to pick it up in store its a 35 oz bottle . For the price its pretty good I've been giving it a try and so far i like it for the price . It also changes color like fx to show that it is working . It has to be agitated tho, but I believe all wheel cleaners need to be agitated to get the best results.

AeroCleanse
01-12-2014, 12:54 PM
For me its a toss up between P21s Wheel Gel and Wolf's Brake Duster

Wes Bremec
01-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Wg uber wheel cleaner is like sonax fe on steroids.

HateSwirls
01-12-2014, 12:57 PM
D170 Wheel Brightner 2-1 will clean them with ease.
Not for bare aluminum.

My wheels are clear coated on the RAV which causes break dust too.
I tried a few products but wanted something that would make it easier and the D170 was the answer for me.
It's one of those products that has warnings all over the bottle. Lol
One gallon can make you up to 5 gallons, spray away:)
Really works well just be careful with it and read the instructions fully.

Harry Da Hamster
01-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Honestly, you will NEVER find a wheel cleaner that will work for you satisfactory. It seems like you (the OP) keeps your wheels in above average condition, meaning brake dust and tar does not get baked on for weeks and months at a time. So, I wouldn't recommend an acidic wheel cleaner like Meguiars Wheel Brightener or Poor Boys Spray and Rinse. And you don't need an expensive iron removing wheel cleaner every time you clean the wheels cause that's a bit excessive and expensive. But on the other hand there will NEVER be a mild wheel cleaner that will clean your wheels in one shot without agitation. And if you need to agitate, something as simple as car wash soap would be fine.

I currently have Meguiars Wheel Brightener (not for my car, for the bad cars), CarPro IronX, 1Z Einszett Colourtec, Mothers Foaming Wheel Cleaner and i've tried many other wheel cleaners and APCs. I only use car wash soap and water for my wheels.

AutowerxDetailing
01-12-2014, 01:15 PM
For my personal cars I just use Meg's APC 10:1. If you don't let the wheels get bad something mild like this works great and I like how it foams up on the tires to lift off the grime. Plus it's dirt cheap when diluted this much.

Quiksilver5882
01-12-2014, 01:16 PM
1Z colourtec works very well and is a bit cheaper than Sonax Full Effect. As for Meguiars Wheel Brightener I'd recommend following that with a citrus based cleaner. Change out those brake pads, it will make your life much easier!

HateSwirls
01-12-2014, 01:35 PM
My wheels are super clean now , I polished them with 205, sealed with two coats of WGPS and two coats of Pinnacle Ivory Nuba.
So I won't need any type of wheel cleaner for a couple of months, I'll just wash them using Mr.Pink.
They're so slick now, just how I want them:)

asalesagent912
01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. like some of you said trying different pads may be the answer. this is my daily driver but i wash is every week i dont let the dirt get baked on the wheels. i never had a car like this that the wheels get so black so fast from brake dust. before this car i never used wheel cleaner just soap and water was fine.

asalesagent912
01-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Not for bare aluminum.

I tried a few products but wanted something that would make it easier and the D170 was the answer for me.
seems good for the price i just may try it next time i make an order thanks

FUNX650
01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
D170 Wheel Brightner
I'm sure you mean D140...
D170 is Meguiar's Hyper Dressing

Not for bare aluminum.

seems good for the price i just may try it next time i make an order thanks
The Price may not always the best factor when considering some car-care products.

-Please take note of the WARNINGS for this Professional use product.

Here's D170's MSDS: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/D-Line/Wheel%20Brightener%20D140.pdf

Besides its hazardous ingredients (Section 2.):

Section 3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Most important hazards:
This product is for use by professional car washes and detailers only and is NOT intended for home use.

IMHO: HF acid is not a laughing matter.

Bob