PDA

View Full Version : Application method

Theraven
01-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Is it better to apply product to the surface or the pad. I'm typically using a rotary and wool and or 50/50 yellow polishing pad.

FUNX650
01-12-2014, 12:38 AM
There's more than one way to "wet a pad" with product.
Just make sure to not dry buff.

:)

Bob

Andr3wilson
01-12-2014, 01:32 AM
What ever floats your boat.

hernandez.art13
01-12-2014, 02:35 AM
I was able to pick up the bead with a PC and a Rotary. My Rupes on the other hand was unsuccessful. Unless your intentions are to splatter product, then the Rupes can easily do that job :D

Radarryan
01-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I've noticed that when Mike Phillips works with a wool pad and rotary polisher, especially on gelcoats, he applies a bead of product and then picks it up using the 10 @ 10 (I think that's what it's called) method.

He is a firm believer of using whatever product you think works the best, but I have noticed that he consistently uses this method when working with a rotary polisher.

EDIT: I found the article that refers to the 10@10 method I talked about.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/circular-polishers-rotary-polishers-high-speed-polisher/29321-10-10-technique-picking-up-bead-product-rotary-buffer.html

HateSwirls
01-12-2014, 10:45 AM
I prefer putting the product on the paint when using a rotary but as one said its really up to you being both methods works.

If you never tried "picking up a bead " then you may want to practice using this method , IMO it works best.
Mr. Mike Phiipps has a couple of vids showing how to do so,check it out.
I always prime my wool pad before I start a correction.

Theraven
01-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I experimented adding product to the pad and the results where almost night and day, compared to spreading it on the surface with an applicator. I was working on a dry, heavily swirled surface, so applying the product heavy to the pad worked the best for me ( with only minimal sling). Boats in better, picking up a bead would be a better option.