PDA

View Full Version : How is BMW paint for 2013?

Pages : [1] 2

Marc Hufnagel
01-11-2014, 08:06 PM
More specifically the metallic red they have in the m-sport line? Hard soft or ??

Thanks

Wes Bremec
01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Typically BMW is on the hard side

Evan.J
01-11-2014, 08:44 PM
I just did a 2014 red metallic and it was really soft. A test spot will determine how the paint is.

Marc Hufnagel
01-11-2014, 09:06 PM
I just did a 2014 red metallic and it was really soft. A test spot will determine how the paint is.

Looked at a 328i today in that color and I swear every square inch had a swirl, rids you name it. Brushes on poles and pressure washers on the lot.

Andr3wilson
01-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Orangepeeled to hell with their powder coat base clear system that should've been kicked a long time ago.

Marc Hufnagel
01-11-2014, 10:30 PM
There was a fair amount of op for sure.

FUNX650
01-11-2014, 10:46 PM
I'll assume you're talking about a BC/CC paint system.
If so: a "test spot", performed on that specific vehicle's clear coat-paint (CC),
will always be the best determinate of the CC's degree of hardness/softness...
no matter what anyone else may speculate it to be, IMO.

The base coat, nor its color scheme, really isn't a determinate of a BC/CC paint system's:
Top-coat paint-film's (CC's) hardness/softness, is it?

:)

Bob

Marc Hufnagel
01-11-2014, 10:52 PM
I'd think the cc would be the determine factor but I've never laid a finger on a BMW. I wanted to get opinions on them in general. Thank you for the response.

JamRWS6
01-12-2014, 08:53 AM
I don't have the red but the Carbon Black on mine is pretty hard. Jet Black on the other hand is known to be very soft. As mentioned, you'll have to do a test spot to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tuscarora dave
01-12-2014, 09:05 AM
A test spot will determine how the paint is.

There should be a like button on these threads :iagree:

Paint is paint, whether it's red, blue, black or clear. It all has different attributes and hardness.

There will never be a situation where a "proper" paint polishing or correction "shouldn't" begin with a test section to see what one is dealing with.

Marc Hufnagel
01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
There should be a like button on these threads :iagree:

Paint is paint, whether it's red, blue, black or clear. It all has different attributes and hardness.

There will never be a situation where a "proper" paint polishing or correction "shouldn't" begin with a test section to see what one is dealing with.

Kind of hard to do that when the car is new and sitting on a dealer lot imho. I've seen where newer Subaru cars can be 'sticky' and some other brands very hard.

VP Mark
01-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Kind of hard to do that when the car is new and sitting on a dealer lot imho. I've seen where newer Subaru cars can be 'sticky' and some other brands very hard.

Most BMW paints I have done have been pretty hard. It seems the newer the model the harder the paint. Did a couple of 2012s last year and I couldn't even get mild correction without MF pads and heavy pressure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

hollerstiltner
01-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Honestly, I'm starting to no longer see a point in asking if a paint is hard or soft. (I'm guilty of it too) If you have to correct it, do a test spot and see for yourself. Cars painted on different days can be different if they changed anything in their clear coat formulation. Just because a car has a reputation as one or the other doesn't mean it's always true for all cars.

You mentioned the car is on the lot. Are you going to buy it and fix it it? If so, buy it if you like it and fix it. It'll be your baby and you'll find a method to make it shine. Use the current damage as a bargaining chip.

If you're asking for S's and G's and will not be working on it, the others have given you good answers.

Marc Hufnagel
01-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Well it's kind of like when I see an experienced detailer spending a whole day on some sticky subaru or soft (insert name here), I'd just like to know what the general thoughts on later model BMW are.

I know the people on here are generally busy and would have no reason to waste anyone's time! :)

VP Mark
01-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Hey Marc if you decide to buy it make sure and give me a call. You can buy me lunch and we can spend a day on it. Might even be fun to do a big write up!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online