PDA

View Full Version : Swirls as far as the eye could see...

Coach Steve
01-11-2014, 05:11 PM
The Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction starts this weekend in Scottsdale. As a result, there are several car oriented rally's get togethers, shows, etc. around the Valley of the Sun. The one I went to today was dedicated specifically to classics and muscle cars. So, so many awesome cars on display from Shelbys to 50's era Caddies to 60's era muscle cars with gigantic V8's to exotic vintage sports cars like MG's, Triumph's, a couple of old Ferrari's, etc.
As I walked around I was stunned at the condition of the finishes of these beautifully preserved/restored vehicles. With the exception of a select few, every single car was just riddled with swirls. Oh sure, they were as shiny as could be but OMG! the swirls!!!!!! Today's event is the biggest bash of the year for this group due to the auction. There were easily over 1,000 vehicles on display. The sun is out in a crystal clear sky with temps in the low 70. S:AA
And you'd think that these cars would be the exception and all of them have just incredible finishes. Not the case at all. I wanted to go back home and get my DA and find someone to let me rub their car and use it as a demonstration medium hoping other owners would see the difference and flop for paint correction.
It's a pretty cool get together. Here's a link:
McDonalds Rock 'n' Roll Car Show - Every Saturday from 4-8pm (http://www.thepavilionsattalkingstick.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59:mcdonalds-rock-n-roll-classic-car-show-every-saturday-from-4-8pm&catid=37:events&Itemid=81)

quantim0
01-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I always cringe at the multi hundred thousand dollar cars that have terrible paint during that show. I may see a handful on TV during the weekend that have quality detailing done.

Sent from my Moto X

Klasse Act
01-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Education is key here, there's no way they can't see it........right?!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Romans5.8
01-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Education is key here, there's no way they can't see it........right?!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Sure they can (not) see it. I didn't until I learned more. Seriously. It's hard to believe, now that we've "seen the light", but plenty of folks can look right at a swirled up finish and not see a single flaw.

FUNX650
01-11-2014, 11:31 PM
I know exactly what swirls look like:
My vehicles are known to wear a lot of them.

So...
Sure I notice swirls on vehicles at Car Shows.
What the vehicles cost is of no relevance to me.
Nor their owners method of detailing them, or lack thereof.

I'm not there to openly judge. Or to drone up Business.
I have other avenues of having FUN.

Vehicles that declare to be actual, bona fide: "Show Cars", OTOH, should have everything in order...
Including their paint...IMHO.

Bob

Bates Detailing
01-11-2014, 11:39 PM
I know exactly what swirls look like:
My vehicles are known to wear a lot of them.

So...
Sure I notice swirls on vehicles at Car Shows.
What the vehicles cost is of no relevance to me.
Nor their owners method of detailing them, or lack thereof.

I'm not there to openly judge. Or to drone up Business.
I have other avenues of having FUN.

Bob

Bob - just noticed you have over 9,000 responses.... :wow: Love reading your posts man - just had to say that.

To add to the thread - Paint corrected a black Rolls Royce 30 year old paint.... he would've been happy with topping the oxidation and swirls with a wax lol. I care cause its my lively hood, many here care cause its their obsession, 98% of people out there could care less lol - just want shiny :buffing:

FUNX650
01-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Bob - just noticed you have over 9,000 responses.... :wow: Love reading your posts man - just had to say that.

To add to the thread - Paint corrected a black Rolls Royce 30 year old paint.... he would've been happy with topping the oxidation and swirls with a wax lol. I care cause its my lively hood, many here care cause its their obsession, 98% of people out there could care less lol - just want shiny :buffing:
Hi Anthony...

Been awhile since we talked.
Hope the Family, and your Business are doing fine and well.

And thanks for your continuance in posting to AGO:
Your sharing of your detailing knowledge is much appreciated!

:)

Bob

Coach Steve
01-12-2014, 12:03 AM

And THAT'S the difference between people who understand what we do and why we do it and why it costs so much and people who see the entire trade as unnecessary and needless. Unfortunately, a large percentage of the folks who brought their VERY NICE cars to today's event fall into the latter category.

The cars that had been detailed and maintained bore a dramatic difference in their appearance - and they were mixed in with all the other cars and the rows were reserved for specific makes and/or decades. Now, if I owned let's say a 1970 Malibu and had brought it to this event and parked right next to me was another Malibu that just looked tits compared to mine, you can bet the farm I'm gonna do some investigating as to why Malibu #2 looks so much better than mine and do whatever it takes to make mine look as good.
And that's pretty much the way it was. you'd walking down an aisle... swirls, swirls, swirls and RIDS, swirls.... Holy Shnikees! Look at THAT one!... swirls, swirls...... You get what I'm saying. The ones that were swirl-free stood out THAT much. Why these guys don't step up and make their cars look so much better is beyond me.