PDA

View Full Version : Tire Shine Driveway

BlackRam
01-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I applied some Megs NXT Insane Shine Tire Coating in the aerosol can this morning. My driveway is asphalt and has its dips and valleys as its old. I took the dogs out and it is raining and noticed in some of those valleys there is what looked like oil in the puddles. The truck only has 2500 miles on it so knock on wood, no issues. Could overspray from the tire shine create the same rainbow looking effect that oil does?

Thank you

bootstrap
01-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Absolutely

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

spiralout462
01-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Yep. It's probably running off your tires as well.

BlackRam
01-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Thank you sir. I looked up whats in it, and its Acetone, Hexane, Butane, Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon, and propane. It says Hexane does not mix with water and Butane barely does. Seeing oil stains on the driveway make me nervous.

swanicyouth
01-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Get a water based dressing that isn't in an aerosol, like OptiBond or Bold n Bright. I'd leave that stuff at Walmart.

BlackRam
01-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Get a water based dressing that isn't in an aerosol, like OptiBond or Bold n Bright. I'd leave that stuff at Walmart.

Do either of those 2 still deliver a real nice shine?

swanicyouth
01-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Yes. BnB is just what it says - bold and bright. Now, it's not going to give you that used car lot mirror greasy look, so hopefully your not looking for that. OB is a bit more subdued, but 2 coats will do the trick.

My neighbor just picked up a new Nissan and right from the dealer the tires were so shiny it looked like someone dunked the tire in olive oil.

BlackRam
01-11-2014, 05:10 PM
I appreciate the insight, I do kinda like the greasy look but I am willing to look at other products

firecorgi
01-11-2014, 05:16 PM
We have those marks on the aprons at work when guys get the rigs ready for a public service details.

FUNX650
01-11-2014, 05:18 PM
I applied some Megs NXT Insane Shine Tire Coating in the aerosol can this morning.

Could overspray from the tire shine create the same rainbow looking effect that oil does?

I looked up whats in it, and its Acetone, Hexane, Butane, Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon, and propane.
It says Hexane does not mix with water and Butane barely does.
Seeing oil stains on the driveway make me nervous.
-Isoparaffinic hydrocarbons are synthetically manufactured, and it's often from Naptha---a petroleum distillate.
-Motor oil is also manufactured from petroleum distillates.

Thus, IMHO: The similarity in the rainbow effect you observed.

Also:
I must commend you on the most helpful usage of a product's MSDS. :props:

Bob

BlackRam
01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
-Isoparaffinic hydrocarbons are synthetically manufactured, and it's often from Naptha---a petroleum distillate.
-Motor oil is also manufactured from petroleum distillates.

Thus, IMHO: The similarity in the rainbow effect you observed.

Also:
I must commend you on the most helpful usage of a product's MSDS. :props:

Bob

Thank you for the further explanation as well as the compliment.