PDA

View Full Version : wax

Pages : [1] 2

rocko2527
01-11-2014, 03:47 PM
For those of you in the business of detailing how do you go about waxing daily drivers? I see a lot of places offering waxing in their packages just wondering if you guys are just using a spray wax or actually machine apply it?

Evan.J
01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
If I am waxing it's a sealant and I machine apply it then remove it. The only time I use spray wax is on a maintains nice wash where the car has good protection and just needs a boost

hernandez.art13
01-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Would you guys say that machine waxing vs hand waxing penetrates the paint more?

Meaning machine waxing penetrates more.

AeroCleanse
01-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Sealants or paint coatings only for daily drivers

rocko2527
01-11-2014, 04:30 PM
If I am waxing it's a sealant and I machine apply it then remove it. The only time I use spray wax is on a maintains nice wash where the car has good protection and just needs a boost

So when do you include this machine applied sealant? In your higher grade details 150.00+?

rocko2527
01-11-2014, 04:35 PM
I wanna set up a package like this
• Hand Wash (2 bucket method)
• Paint is clayed to remove contaminants
• Wheels cleaned and sealed for protection against brake and rail dust
• Tires deep cleaned and dressed with UV protectant gel
• All rubber and plastic trim cleaned and dressed with
UV protectant
• Interior carpets shampooed
• Leather cleaned and conditioned
• Premium wax applied

Wanting to price it at $120.00 for cars... in this situation would you machine apply it or just use a spray?

FUNX650
01-11-2014, 05:45 PM
UV protectant
• Premium wax applied

Wanting to price it at $120.00 for cars... in this situation would you machine apply it or just use a spray?
Excluding the last bullet/point---The wax application process...

I'm more interested in the amount of time (in hours) that is going to be invested,
in order to complete all the other aspects of this $120.00 detail package.

Can you provide at least an estimate? Thanks.

:)

Bob

AeroCleanse
01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
UV protectant
• Premium wax applied

$120 seems low to me, unless you can do an amazing job in 3hrs.

rocko2527
01-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Estimate 4 hours to finish. I just have seen some detailers with a package like this with wax and was wondering if they actually machine apply it or are just using a spray and saying its a wax. I mean it is a wax either way lol. Im sorry if I'm being annoying our confusing Im just trying to figure out a good pricing list.

HateSwirls
01-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Most of the cars I do are two step detail corrections.
Once corrected I use a sealant instead of a "wax".
Takes the same amount of time so I figure apply something that will last a little longer.

The only time I apply a sealant with a machine is on large vehicles, like a large SUV or F-250.
I much prefer doing it by hand, I don't think one method is better than the other but hand waxing is just relaxing for me. :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
01-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Are you going to be mobile, or at a fixed location?

Out of this $30/hour...You have to figure in your costs for:
-products
-supplies
-insurances
-taxes
-utilities
-lunch break
-etc.

Just some things to keep in mind.

And Hey:
I thought you were just interested in how other detailers applied waxes.
Now, out of the Blue:

Im just trying to figure out a good pricing list.

J/K

Bob

rocko2527
01-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Are you going to be mobile, or at a fixed location?

Out of this $30/hour...You have to figure in your costs for:
-products
-supplies
-insurances
-taxes
-utilities
-lunch break
-etc.

Just some things to keep in mind.

And Hey:
I thought you were just interested in how other detailers applied waxes.
Now, out of the Blue:

J/K

Bob

Yeah Im working on a list now and as I've been looking at others packages I keep seeing them listing wax. Thats all. Not trying to confuse anyone. Maybe Im just thinking about it to hard.
And fixed location.

TundraPower
01-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Way way way underpriced. It would take me 8 hours to do that much work properly. Bare minimum of $350.00 and that's pushing it.

cardaddy
01-11-2014, 10:31 PM
To address whether I'd apply a spray wax, spray sealant, WOWO sealant, or WOWA sealant would be more to the point.

For my very bottom basic wash, which still takes me 3~4 hours (and a normal human 2½~3 hours) it'd be some sort of polycharged spray wax.

When you start saying "wax" it really doesn't address whether it is a spray or liquid, or paste for that matter. Thing is most "waxes" (especially liquid) these days are all some variant of sealant anyhow.

Next step up would be a WOWO sealant. And of course there are various levels that may be considered there when it comes to performance, preference et al, but I'd not really differentiate on price there. (Say between M21 2.0and WGDGPS, or Menz PL for instance.)

So within this price point there is more than one "level" of service as well as prices. I say that because generally I'll not do a sealant unless I've at least done some sort of paint correction. Doesn't have to be complete correction, but at least a single stage/AIO. (Yet the connotation of AIO would designate polish/cleaner/wax and/or sealant all in one.)

From there (because it cost me a LOT more) would be a WOWA sealant. Which is yet another price point. Yet WOWA is actually easier to apply, and take less time (labor). Depending on if it's a regular client they may get a free upgrade to a WOWA. ;)

And finally would be a coating. That of course is in a totally different discussion as total paint correction would be needed first.

Bottom line is everything isn't about money. Do the best job you want to put your name on. If you don't want to do the job, then fine, don't. That however doesn't mean that every customer that comes to you ends up paying $900 to get their car detailed.

(Disclaimer: I don't have to pay the bills with detailing, ergo I still enjoy the work. And of course enthusiasm that goes with it from the customers view of it all. Still doesn't mean that I don't make MONEY doing it, because I DO. Just that I don't turn customers away purely based on price.)

G35
01-12-2014, 12:33 AM
What sealant are you guys using in your packages?