PDA

View Full Version : ONRWW - new guy questions

Strokes77
01-11-2014, 02:50 PM
I an not a professional, I just like having a clean vehicle for my wife and I. I purchased some ONRWW to speed up my wash process and to wash in garage. I have some questions.

I tried GDWM but doing the laundry afterwards added a ton of time, so no more of that. I am using a MF mit and it works. Would a sponge or chanelle type mit work better? Release better?

Drying is killing me I am trying to dry with several cheap MF towels. I am not a fan of spending a lot of money on this, but will a better towel make a big difference? Or a Chamois?

How do you guys clean all the wheel wells and wheels/tires? If I used normal method/products I have to use a hose and spray... so then I have to be outside, and I have to dry again. .. not a good option. I tried using ONRWW to clean the wheels and it didn't work too good... These are not prep'd and protected wheels, just normal DD wheels...

Just some questions I have after trying ONRWW for a couple weeks. ..

Thanks

TrolleyVW
01-11-2014, 04:49 PM
I like using the Merino Wool Mitts with grit guards for my ONRs so I can't say much about sponges and chenille.

To dry, or to touch paint at all for that matter, you definitely want some high quality towels. I see a lot of people starting off say that they don't want to spend "that kind of money on towels" but it's kind of like saying you want to run a really fast, big motor muscle car but don't want to pay for the gas.

As far as cleaning the wheels, I usually run to a coin op DIY spray wash and rinse them down and then when I get back to the garage to do my RW, I have a not-so-paint-worthy wash mitt and a separate bucket. To "rinse" them when I'm done, I just really douse the mitt in the bucket and go over the wheels again.

twobucket
01-11-2014, 05:55 PM
a lot of mf towels. I care my car more than the convenience using mitt or something else.

JamRWS6
01-12-2014, 08:56 AM
I clean wheels and undercarriage the traditional way with a hose first. I use the Cobra guzzler waffle weave along with a super plush cobra microfiber and it works outstanding with ONRWW. Towels make a huge difference, worth the money.

Microfiber mits are great with ONRWW.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Strokes77
01-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I clean wheels and undercarriage the traditional way with a hose first. I use the Cobra guzzler waffle weave along with a super plush cobra microfiber and it works outstanding with ONRWW. Towels make a huge difference, worth the money.

Microfiber mits are great with ONRWW.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Thank you and the others for your responses. In trying to speed up my wash method I hate that I now have the need to buy more stuff. My whole purpose was to simplify... I was hoping that because I wasn't looking for showroom performance I could get it done with less... I mean, hours after I finish washing my wife's car she drives down a dirt road... I just want to quickly wash them so she feels good Monday morning. ..

BillyJack
01-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Most of my washes are rinseless. I use two decent MF's, one to wash and one which I wring out between passes to absorb excess solution and to act as a bit of "insurance" before the WW towel. Also, I find one of these to be a cheap but indispensable tool:
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/693686/6936863053188lg.jpg
I use it for presoak, especially in the winter, and for wheels and tires, together with a soft wheel brush and, if needed my Daytona mini. I'll presoak the wheels and tires, scrub, then rinse with the sprayer. I keep my wheels coated with a durable sealant, usually FK1000 or Collinite to make cleaning easier. If the tires are really dirty, I'll apply some APC, scrub, and rinse with the sprayer. My next order will include this:Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew, tire cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html), as it's a rinseless tire cleaner which looks like a good compliment to a rinseless wash, minimizing the water on the garage floor. If temps are at all above freezing I'll use my pressure washer to blow off the heavy salt, as well as wheels and tires, before I pull the car into the garage for a rinseless wash. IMO, winter care for a DD in the Northeast is about "acceptable" rather than perfection. I'll perform my due diligence in fall prep and just try to keep 'em reasonably clean until spring.

Bill