PDA

View Full Version : Black Label Diamond Glass Coating Failing...

Pages : [1] 2

Detailingdoc
01-11-2014, 02:19 PM
I put Black label Diamond Glass coating on my wife's SUV less than two months ago as well as my car.

My wife has about a 2 hour commute to and from work and her car sits outside 24/7. Last night we had a big storm as she was coming home from work and today she said her windshield was no longer beading and the water wouldnt fly off when driving as it was. I thought there is no way it couldnt have failed yet or maybe it was just dirty. Well sure enough there isnt any beading any longer on both her front windshield as well as the back and the water doesnt repel when sprayed directly. All of the side windows exhibit normal behavior.
Could the abrasion from the windshield wipers have already eroded through the coating.

I only drive about 4 miles to and from work and my car is in the garage both at work and at home and the BL coating appears to be functioning ok on my car.

For prep I clayed the front and back windshileds then used BL Prep Polish then applied the Diamond Coating as directed.

Jrocket
01-11-2014, 03:03 PM
What weather temps did you apply the coating in? How lond did you allow the Windshield to cure and how soon after application did you wash your vehicle?

I believe those are important factors on this product working properly.

I just did my windshield this am and while it may be over kill I don't intend on any failure problems.

CUrrent tempature is 69 degrees.

I Washed windshield and clayed

light mist of Stoners Window cleaner w/ Razor

then D/A and a Cyan pad Pinnacle Glass water spot remover

DP Prep Polish

PBL Diamond Surface Coating.

Car will be left in the garage for the day to Cure.

and of course time will tell.

I just tried to do every step possible to remove any possible contaminets on windshield. Wipers are brand new also and hopefully won't have to use them for a week or so.

Detailingdoc
01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
What weather temps did you apply the coating in? How lond did you allow the Windshield to cure and how soon after application did you wash your vehicle?

I believe those are important factors on this product working properly.

I just did my windshield this am and while it may be over kill I don't intend on any failure problems.

CUrrent tempature is 69 degrees.

I Washed windshield and clayed

light mist of Stoners Window cleaner w/ Razor

then D/A and a Cyan pad Pinnacle Glass water spot remover

DP Prep Polish

PBL Diamond Surface Coating.

Car will be left in the garage for the day to Cure.

and of course time will tell.

I just tried to do every step possible to remove any possible contaminets on windshield. Wipers are brand new also and hopefully won't have to use them for a week or so.

Temp was probably in the mid 50's. Didnt wash her car for probably another two weeks.

I dont think the application was the problem as all the other windows are fine except for those with wipers.

Jrocket
01-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Well sounds like it would have to be due to the Temperature and possibly a combination of the wipers... did it rain in the first 24 hours after applying?
That could also be a factor.

SOunds like you did enough Prep work.

If it were me I would Wash and Clay again. Polish then Prep Polish and then Coat.

I personally would also wait until temps were in the mid 60's. I think that may make a huge difference.

mind you this is just one guys .02

FUNX650
01-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Seems like a whole lot of "particulars" are needed for some of those:
Windshield auto-glass 'Coatings'!!

(Using wipers amounts to a murderous act...it appears.)

Just not my idea of ideal-products for my vehicles.

:)

Bob

spiralout462
01-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Not to mention, as time goes by the glass coating is not getting thicker or stronger, right? Time and weather takes its toll on everything!

I expect to see a dedgradation of any sealant I use on my windshield, but it sure is nice for a while!

cleanmycorolla
01-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Try applying the prep polish again. Perhaps a film has formed over the coating. Which can happen. Try cleaning it up with the prep polish. It won't remove the coating but should clear whatever might be there.

Jrocket
01-11-2014, 05:39 PM
I want to purchase the Opti-Glass Coat and see how that holds up.

Will prob apply to my other vehicle that doesn't have the PBL diamond surface coating on it and do a comparison over the next 3 mths and then 6mths..

Looks like Im being sucked into another purchase tonight so I can have by next tuesday to get the comparison started.

That is unless a any member on here has some extra Opti Glass they would be willing to trade out.

I too am not sure if these are the ideal products for windshileds.. especially given the price for the Glass coatings.. Main reason I went with the diamond surface coating instead to to coat entire vehicle, however the Opti Glass is drawing me in out of curiousity of durability and longevity..

Detailingdoc
01-11-2014, 07:33 PM
I am going try and apply it again when it warms up a little but if it truly has failed and fails again I will be disappointed as that would essentially have the durability of Rain X.

I may try G techniq G1 on her care. I had it on mine as well before I applied the BL.

Jrocket
01-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Def worth giving it another shot. Especially applied in the correct temp range.

I have faith in this product... but waiting to see how my windshield is holding up at 3month mark 6month mark etc..

Detailingdoc
01-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Def worth giving it another shot. Especially applied in the correct temp range.

I have faith in this product... but waiting to see how my windshield is holding up at 3month mark 6month mark etc..

In my case I cant see how temperature would have made that big of a difference. It was in the upper 50's when I applied it and I thought the ideal application temp was like 60.

Given that when it did work it works great and my car is still going strong I just hope it has more durability in a car that constantly sees the elements.

lyodbraun
01-11-2014, 09:16 PM
I also think a big factor in the coating failing is using washer fluid to clean the windshield ? The typical washer fluid is pretty harsh IMO... And will eat through a lot of stuff... I've seen

Jrocket
01-12-2014, 08:32 PM
I also think a big factor in the coating failing is using washer fluid to clean the windshield ? The typical washer fluid is pretty harsh IMO... And will eat through a lot of stuff... I've seen

Could be.

I wonder if these would be a good alternative to the standard washer fluid that has a toxic chemical in it.

303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2F303iw t.html)

or this

1Z Einszett Kristallklar Premium Windshield Washer Fluid Concentrate 150 ml (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2Fwinds hield-wash.html)

But I have no idea really...

PA DETAILER
01-14-2014, 08:06 AM
odd indeed. i applied the DP GLASS COATING several months ago. and really did not do any special prep. i mean the glass was clean and really new. it still beads and sheads water today.

Nick McKees37
01-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Make sure the glass has NO water spots on it (an easy way to check is by spraying the surface with a glass cleaner and wiping - it will reveal any faint water spot rings). If water spots are present, you'll want to use a beefier glass polish first, like Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover.

Try applying the prep polish again. Perhaps a film has formed over the coating. Which can happen. Try cleaning it up with the prep polish. It won't remove the coating but should clear whatever might be there.

Great suggestion Chris.

After using the prep polish again, it wouldn't hurt to apply another quick coat of the glass coating.