PDA

View Full Version : How did I get this scratch?

Dan_335i
01-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Car is full of salt so i went to a Esso touchless car wash. at the end of the wash there is a dryer and this white sign thing jumps down but it has rollers so i didnt think it would scratch my car. so i just drive through it. Look at the video below start at 2:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKnNqWmEljs

Theres a pretty deep scratch and it looks like the sunroof is scratched also. Its a really straight cut. Maybe it was from the dealer when I picked up the car 2 months ago?
How would i remove the scratch from the paint? it is even possible to remove the scratch on the sunroof? DIY suggestions plz

http://i.imgur.com/vw9f0yp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5Cqigzp.jpg

jamesboyy
01-10-2014, 11:49 PM
If your fingernail catches on to the scratch then you will have to touch up that area with touch up paint if your finger don't catch then you may can polish or polish, and wet sand you may got the scratch from dealer but I think it came from that car wash equipment as for the glass you may have to wet sand it but if you don't much about wet sanding glass then don't do it

Dan_335i
01-11-2014, 12:11 AM
If your fingernail catches on to the scratch then you will have to touch up that area with touch up paint if your finger don't catch then you may can polish or polish, and wet sand you may got the scratch from dealer but I think it came from that car wash equipment as for the glass you may have to wet sand it but if you don't much about wet sanding glass then don't do it

But the roller doesnt look like it can scratch. It was just the black rubber rollers rolling on my roof. And yes sadly my finger nail gets caught on the paint and the sunroof. If it was from the touchless car wash thats one scary car wash. Hopefully it was from the dealer when they were preping the car for me before delivery.

jamesboyy
01-11-2014, 12:26 AM
But the roller doesnt look like it can scratch. It was just the black rubber rollers rolling on my roof. And yes sadly my finger nail gets caught on the paint and the sunroof. If it was from the touchless car wash thats one scary car wash. Hopefully it was from the dealer when they were preping the car for me before delivery.

Hopefully it was from the dealer, you will have to get some touch paint of your cars color, and some clear coat touch up to fix the damage

Dan_335i
01-11-2014, 12:27 AM
And are u sure i need touch up paint? I cant see the metal. Its inly my finger nail catches

AutowerxDetailing
01-11-2014, 12:32 AM
I've never been to a touchless wash... why the HELL would it have a blower thing with HARD rollers on it that touches your car at the end!!!???

In any event, that sucks that your car has been damaged by this idiotic car wash design. If your nail catches the scratch in the glass it will be a lot of work to remove it (but it can be done with the right tools and products).

As far as the scratches in the paint, they don't look too bad. If you say that one of them catches your nail then you may want to try to find a forum member that is nearby with a paint gauge to measure how much film build you are working with. Since you know the history of the car (it appears you are the first owner) you will easily be able to tell if you have enough material to work with to fully correct the damage.

Best of luck! :props:

jamesboyy
01-11-2014, 12:35 AM
And are u sure i need touch up paint? I cant see the metal. Its inly my finger nail catches
If you cant see bare metal then just touch up the clear coat to be on the safe side a inspection loupe would really be helpful at this time

b0b
01-11-2014, 02:17 AM
It's never a good sign when your finger nail catches the scratch.... Usually requires a decent amount of correction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

WAXOFF
01-11-2014, 09:45 AM
That can be buffed out. As far as that car wash doing that I say no. The rollers come across the car in a straight line to the roof. That scratch is on about a 30 degree angle. That tell me that something was kicked up off the road and skimmed the roof and sunroof glass. It could have bee a rock or small piece of metal debris. To scratch a piece of glass something has to be made of a very hard substance. I can't believe you have had the car for 2 months and never noticed this. I doubt that it was that way a time of purchase. Just buff it out and live with the rest. It won't be the last blemish that will get on the car unless you park it and don't drive it.

Dan_335i
01-11-2014, 10:07 AM
That can be buffed out. As far as that car wash doing that I say no. The rollers come across the car in a straight line to the roof. That scratch is on about a 30 degree angle. That tell me that something was kicked up off the road and skimmed the roof and sunroof glass. It could have bee a rock or small piece of metal debris. To scratch a piece of glass something has to be made of a very hard substance. I can't believe you have had the car for 2 months and never noticed this. I doubt that it was that way a time of purchase. Just buff it out and live with the rest. It won't be the last blemish that will get on the car unless you park it and don't drive it.
My car delivery was during winter so i didnt ntice the scratch cause of all the snow and salt. Good to have some assurance that it was not the car wash. I only use the touchless ones in winter to remove salt. Yeh the scratch on the sunroof is on an angle and the scratch on the paint was also on an angle. The rollers came on straight line. During my time of the car ownership i heard about 2 rocks hittin the glass. I did not know nor see where the rocks hit on the glass. Maybe the scratch on paint was definitly a rock scratch. But not sure about the sunroof because its a straight line on an angle.

DetailKitty
01-11-2014, 11:29 AM
I've never been to a touchless wash... why the HELL would it have a blower thing with HARD rollers on it that touches your car at the end!!!???

Exactly...... :eek::doh: