PDA

View Full Version : Polish after clay?

ironsurvivor
01-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Getting ready to clay my car for the second time. There is none to very minimal swirls. It's black so you can see every little thing. I'm just wondering after I clay do I really need to polish even if the car doesn't need it? Will the clay leave any marring behind? I'll be using Adams clay for reference if that helps. If I do need to polish could I use something very light such as m205 on a black pad or even ultimate polish on a black pad? I was considering picking up some sf4500, but it's back ordered. What do you guys think? After claying I might polish depending on what you guys say, then wax

FUNX650
01-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Getting ready to clay my car for the second time.
I'll assume you did the "baggie test" before deciding to clay this time around.

-When I clay, I always polish. Even if it's with a very fine polish.

And...With your vehicle having:

There is none to very minimal swirls.
I'll suggest you do likewise.

:)

Bob

Heisenberg
01-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Depending on your paint, the clay can leave some minor marring behind. It's ultimately up to you on if you want to polish it or not. If you are happy with the finish and how it looks, then don't worry about it. If you notice the paint isn't as glossy as you want, or there are small swirls and things catching your eye then I would go with a light polish.

m205 and Ultimate Polish are basically the same thing. What you want to do after claying is to find a test spot, do that with your black pad+whatever polish you want, and see if it looks good. If you want your entire car to look like that, do your entire car. Don't think too much about it. :xyxthumbs:

Evan.J
01-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I'll assume you did the "baggie test" before deciding to clay this time around.

-When I clay, I always polish. Even if it's with a very fine polish.

And...With your vehicle having:

I'll suggest you do likewise.

:)

Bob
:iagree:

If I am claying then I am polishing.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-10-2014, 10:23 AM
I agree with Bob and Evan. Anytime clay or the alternatives are used on paint, I always polish afterwards.

FASTFRED
01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
I always polish after claying. :dblthumb2:

AC in OC
01-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Another option would be to apply a glaze, like PB Black Hole or one from the CG line. It's just an option, in case you don't want to polish, but get similar results. You'd just be masking the very minor swirls you do have and putting off the polishing until next time, perhaps during warmer weather.