PDA

View Full Version : Any insight/tibbits/advice on detailing an older Mercedes

TCB
07-02-2007, 11:18 AM
It looks like I maybe detailing a family members older Mercedes and wanted to know if there was any bits of info I might need a heads up on before I start.

The car is probably 15 years old or so and it is that fairly popular goldish/light tan color that MB had for a long time. She says that she (or husband) never waxed it, only gone through those high end car washes and the standard wash MB does when it services the car. Believe it or not the paint, while a little dull, is in pretty good shape. There is no obvious signs of the clearcoat peeling off, rust, etc.

I am going to wash with DP Extreme Foam & foam gun, Pinnacle Clay bar, XMT360 with orange pad (too harsh?) and either Natty's or SSII to finish.

Is there anything unique about the MB paint or clearcoat or the age of the car that I should be aware of before getting underway? Is MB clearcoat traditionally rock hard or ultrasoft?

Thanks

TCB
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
nothing from any of the pro's out there? :)

D
07-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Well in 2003 MB introduced the new clear coat which is supposed to be scratch resistant. You really need Menzerna for that. But traditionally MB have hard clear coats. Im not sure if the MB you're working on is going to be different. But if XMT 360 with orane pad doesnt work, then go with XMT 3 and orange pad.

Either way, the XMT 360 and orange pad wont be too harsh. Thats what I start out with on most cars.

Thejoyofdriving
07-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I have worked on a 96 black S 420, the clear coat on this car was on the medium side(hardness) I used XMT 4, it didnt do much. If it has swirls, i would go with XMT 2 or 3There is nothing special on the S420, but just be careful of the front emblem.

TCB
07-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks to both of you!