PDA

View Full Version : got into a car accident

Father87
01-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Was rear ended and my front and drivers side got pushed into median wall. It's really a blessing in disguise because now all this has to be repaired or replaced. It was in need of it anyway. At least I'm hoping that's the positive in this anyway..

wlshephard
01-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Hope you and yours did not get hurt. Sorry for about the accident.

Father87
01-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Oh yes I should have mentioned, everyone is fine. My daughter was crying but she was fine, and enjoyed talking with the police and playing at the scene just after we got out of car lol.

Father87
01-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Any tips for dealing with the repair center?

FUNX650
01-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Glad everyone's alright!!

The Repair center?
Have them spray an extra film-layer, or two, of clearcoat!

Bob

Just02896
01-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Was rear ended and my front and drivers side got pushed into median wall. It's really a blessing in disguise because now all this has to be repaired or replaced. It was in need of it anyway. At least I'm hoping that's the positive in this anyway..

With the way you are talking about the car "needing body and paintwork anyway", I'm wondering if the car is older and if the insurance company might call it a total loss? What year, make, and model is the car? How many miles does it have on it? Any pictures of the damages?

Glad you and your family are OK!

Father87
01-09-2014, 11:43 PM
lol I'll def try for that. I've used this place before a couple years ago and they didn't really finish the car when they handed it back over. They even introduced new damage. This time I'll be sure, and more experienced, in my walk around before I accept it.

Audios S6
01-09-2014, 11:56 PM

Start by finding a good one. In MN, state law prohibits insurance companies from dictating where the vehicle gets fixed. Nor do you have to go to their claims center, have them send an adjuster/estimator to you or the repair shop. Do not accept a check or sign anything, let the repair shop handle it all.

Talk to the shop about their process and equipment. If possible, find a shop that is certified by the car manufacturer - mine is certified by Audi, Porsche and Mercedes. Ideally, the shop should also be a direct repair facility for the insurance, it can get you back in your car several days sooner. "We work with all insurance companies" is not the same as being a direct repair facility.

Make sure to get a lifetime warranty on repairs - ideally through the repair shop and insurance company.

The last few accidents my vehicles have been in, I've gone through my insurance even though the other party was at fault. I pay $500 for a few months until my insurance company finalizes the subrogation and then they cut me a check - net zero cost. My shop is a direct repair facility for my insurance. I don't have to deal with the car sitting there waiting for an adjuster to come back to look at 2 or 3 supplementals because some damage wasn't immediately evident - while I'm driving the cheapest loaner that exists.

Docpeanut
01-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Make sure they use oem parts, don't let them use aftermarket parts to save a few bucks. The other drivers insurance is responsible for payment, not yours. Also, find a different shop then the one you previously used.

Father87
01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
With the way you are talking about the car "needing body and paintwork anyway", I'm wondering if the car is older and if the insurance company might call it a total loss? What year, make, and model is the car? How many miles does it have on it? Any pictures of the damages?

Glad you and your family are OK!

Well, I meant to OUR standards here on forum lol. No it wont be total loss, it's only cosmetic damage mostly, except for the muffler that got hit hard. 06 Honda CRV 155K

Start by finding a good one. In MN, state law prohibits insurance companies from dictating where the vehicle gets fixed. Nor do you have to go to their claims center, have them send an adjuster/estimator to you or the repair shop. Do not accept a check or sign anything, let the repair shop handle it all.

Talk to the shop about their process and equipment. If possible, find a shop that is certified by the car manufacturer - mine is certified by Audi, Porsche and Mercedes. Ideally, the shop should also be a direct repair facility for the insurance, it can get you back in your car several days sooner. "We work with all insurance companies" is not the same as being a direct repair facility.

Make sure to get a lifetime warranty on repairs - ideally through the repair shop and insurance company.

The last few accidents my vehicles have been in, I've gone through my insurance even though the other party was at fault. I pay $500 for a few months until my insurance company finalizes the subrogation and then they cut me a check - net zero cost. My shop is a direct repair facility for my insurance. I don't have to deal with the car sitting there waiting for an adjuster to come back to look at 2 or 3 supplementals because some damage wasn't immediately evident - while I'm driving the cheapest loaner that exists.

Yea my insurance mentioned all of that to me, said how it's guaranteed and that the shop is direct with the insurance and it's also for Hondas. Also mentioned the lifetime warranties.

Make sure they use oem parts, don't let them use aftermarket parts to save a few bucks. The other drivers insurance is responsible for payment, not yours. Also, find a different shop then the one you previously used.

Ok I'll make sure to ask about OEM. Well, they're a good shop, it was more about me being naive at the time, I think they're the best option. Not too many good places here in Miami-Dade county to choose from.