PDA

View Full Version : How often do you removing swirls and scratches?

Skoob
01-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I was wondering how often do you guys remove swirls and scratches from your own paint? Is it years or once a year.
I ask because I was wondering what others like to do.
People on this forum are detailing our cars more than most. I like the shine. 😎

Just02896
01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
There are so many factors that decide when a correction is warranted. Miles driven, the degree of abuse the paint sees over time, weather, driving habits, parking lot presents, etc.

I usually correct in the spring and do a light polish mid to late fall before applying a winter sealant.

b0b
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
I was wondering how often do you guys remove swirls and scratches from your own paint? Is it years or once a year.
I ask because I was wondering what others like to do.
People on this forum are detailing our cars more than most. I like the shine. 😎

I believe the question to really ask is how do I remove the swirls and make them not come back again. Your clear coat isn't too thick and will only take so many corrections before getting to an unsafe point.

That being said, I see no harm in using a polish annually to remove any light marring that has happened with time.

Proper washing techniques and tools will keep your swirl free finish looking great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Kaban
01-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Just "run the wheel" over your car once a year to be on the safe side. I recommend the rotary around 1800-2000rpm with the 8" wool pad and 3M super duty compound. That usually does the trick and makes the job go faster.

Just02896
01-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Just "run the wheel" over your car once a year to be on the safe side. I recommend the rotary around 1800-2000rpm with the 8" wool pad and 3M super duty compound. That usually does the trick and makes the job go faster.

Wait, what? Not sure if serious :-/

lawrenceSA
01-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Wait, what? Not sure if serious :-/

:iagree:

JKL1031
01-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I say get it right once, try to maintain and only pull the polisher back out unless there's a major boo boo. Ur not gonna have the car perfect always. I micro marred my lower sides within a week after I corrected the car.

Desertnate
01-10-2014, 02:13 PM
I say get it right once, try to maintain and only pull the polisher back out unless there's a major boo boo. Ur not gonna have the car perfect always. I micro marred my lower sides within a week after I corrected the car.

:iagree:

I only correct heavily once if needed and then keep them up as best as possible.

Each year in the Spring I'll hit the cars with a light finishing polish to get rid of the light winters swirls/mars and get rid of the old sealant. In the fall I'll run a paint cleaner over the cars to rid the vehicles of the old product and then lay in the LSP to protect.

miniSguy
01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Preferrably only once. Once you learn the proper way to care for the paint after correction, you should only need to correct if something out of the ordinary happens.

On my personal cars, I have been able to sustain the scratch-free finish for multiple years so far.

The things I learned on this forum and in the Boot Camp class have made the difference.

wdmaccord
01-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Preferrably only once. Once you learn the proper way to care for the paint after correction, you should only need to correct if something out of the ordinary happens.

On my personal cars, I have been able to sustain the scratch-free finish for multiple years so far.

The things I learned on this forum and in the Boot Camp class have made the difference.

+1. This is my plan. I did a full correction after delivery from the dealer. Now I plan to just polish spring and fall and "spot correct" where needed. I don't have my wash methods perfected yet, but I haven't caused anything that requires more than a polish with something like M205 or SF4500.

Skoob
01-10-2014, 10:24 PM
From what I am reading, that new polisher I bought is good to use just use a pad and polish combo to touch up a little. I am glad, I love using it and making my car shine. I didn't want to be to destructive to the clear, like Mike says clear is very thin.