PDA

View Full Version : detail gone wrong?

Pages : [1] 2

REZBMR
07-02-2007, 08:33 AM
hey everyone...so a month and a half ago I did a detail on a black benz...an 02 sl500...I washed, clayed, polished with a PC and xmt 4 and an LC orange pad (on the trouble spots) then followed with a coat of xmt 360 on a white pad, and then topped that with a coat of liquid souverain...the guy paid me 100 bux for the job (was a friend of a friend)...in the end the car looked fantastic...now, a month and a half later he calls me and tells me that he sees some white hazy spot on the hood and that the color of the hood is turning purple...now, i've never seen this happen before (the car is black) and i can't imagine its from something i did to the car...anyone ever have this happen? I don't think he's washed the car since the detail...could it just be in need of a proper wash? I know pics would help, but i have not seen it myself yet...a month and a half just seems like a long time to me...PLEASE HELP!!!! thanks
Oh and he said that in the garage it looks great, but in only direct brite sun he can see the problems....
Ari

Oh...and here are some pics of the detail that i was able to find...

pirex
07-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I have seen the same before, on a black car! Maybe the polish dident break down totaly when you detailed it? I can`t imagine something else..you can just see it in day light or sun. Sure you worked the polish long enough?

REZBMR
07-02-2007, 08:46 AM
i worked the polish for at least 5 mins each time...in addition, the car was not hazy or doscolored even in the sun after the detail...think this could happen after a month and a half for any reason? maybe cause he doesn't wash the car and rubs it with microfiber all the time...he's a pretty anal dude...When I go see it, whats the best way to fix it without having to do the car all over again...I have the while xmt line, and the pinnacle line and all the diff pads...

pirex
07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Hmm, strange. I know that xmt 4 makes the paint hazy, therefore its important to go over with a polish after, 360 should be fine. But maybe xmt 1 would be better. Its strange if its just happends after 1 month, and hazing should not come because lack of wash or hard drying! Maybe you just should polish over the hood again. Have some menzerna? On the pics you can`t see any hazing..even with the blitz! Maybe he has done something with it after the detail? dunno..

REZBMR
07-02-2007, 09:09 AM
right? I thought it looked pretty damn good when i was done with it, and it def was not that great when i started...I don't have any menzerna, but the car didn't have the ceramiclear on it either way...I would imagine that hazing would not just appear 6 weeks later if it wasn't hazy when i first finished the job...weird...maybe this guy just wants to get me out there for a free touch up and is being whiny about it...i dunno, i'm just annoyed...worked my ass off on that car...

pirex
07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Say you want to take a look at the car. If he not have seen it before now, its not your fault. Things like that don`t just popup :p Don`t let him scare you or anything!

REZBMR
07-02-2007, 09:22 AM
thats what i thought...i mean a month and a half? He keeps the car in the garage most of the time, but its not exactly a dust free environment or anything, and he def has me a little freaked out...i don't think its anythign i could have done, but he seems to always be seeing something he wants fixed when he parks the car in the bright sun...must be looking at it through a magnifying glass, cause that car was super clean when i left it...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Yet another good reason to inspect the car with the owner before hand, talk about what you see, what they expect and what you think you can do as far as the customers expectations AND THEN when you are done with the deatail, to do a final inepction with the customer to make sure all is as it should be....

Then give them a reciept, have them sign it... voila done deal!!

Anything after this process is customer good will and great customer sefvice which I also advocate but it should be seen as such by the customer and not part of the "package".

Good luck on this one!

REZBMR
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
thanks...i agree with providing a good service and i've already been back once before (2 weeks after the detail) to touch up a minor minor spot on the trunk...either way, he could have driven the car once and gotta something on the car...i'm gonna go back today and give the car a bath and see whats up...i know he doesn't wash it, and it seems that any black car will not be able to remain perfect forever, even if kept in a garage....

SpoiledMan
07-02-2007, 12:40 PM
The fact that he doesn't wash it himself likely tells the whole story. He is aware that the hacks at the local wash are the reason that it was the way it was before you corrected it right?

REZBMR
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah...we have a hand wash place he could go to, i just think he is a cheap ####### and would rather not pay for a wash...i plan on teaching him proper technique tonite, and if he doesn't want to take care of it himself then i'm not gonna do it for him...he's the one with the 80k car, not me lol...its not that he doesn't wash it himself that is the problem, its that he doesn't wash it...i know it has not been washed once in the 6 weeks since the detail...lame

SpoiledMan
07-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Does he wipe it off at all?

REZBMR
07-02-2007, 12:59 PM
i think he wipes it off too much...i gave him a MF towel and he uses it i'm sure more than once a day on a car that he keeps in the garage...plus i doubt he's ever washed the towel...

SpoiledMan
07-02-2007, 01:01 PM
You need to *know* if he's done anything to it or not. If he hasn't then what he sees is more than likely a result of your work. If he has been wiping on it then what he sees is more likely a result of what he has done.

davevg
07-02-2007, 01:01 PM
i think he wipes it off too much...i gave him a MF towel and he uses it i'm sure more than once a day on a car that he keeps in the garage...plus i doubt he's ever washed the towel... Maybe the towel he is using was contaminated with something?