PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. UDM vs. Festool: Vibration comparision results are in

ZoranC
07-02-2007, 02:23 AM
I have had a chance to compare vibrations of PC, UDM, and Festool RO 150 FEQ this weekend. PC was brand new 7336SP (6" counterweight) with 5" backing plate and 5" CCS pad. UDM was, to keep apples to apples, with "same" backing plate and pad. Rotex was with their supersoft 6" backing plate and same kind of pad as PC/UDM but in 6".

On each of 3, 4, 5, and 6 settings UDM was more pleasant to work with than PC. I spent 5 hours working with UDM today. My arm did not hurt nor tingle afterwards. My elbow (I have chronically injured righ elbow and I am rightie) was not getting irritated even though it gets irritated easily. When it comes to vibrations between PC and UDM give me UDM anytime.

Between UDM and Festool Festool's vibrations were ... well ... that thing almost doesn't vibrate. I mean, it does vibrate but it is nothing compared to UDM. In vibration category RO 150 FEQ is clear winner with huge lead. And it better be for money it costs.

gator1
07-02-2007, 05:26 AM
I have the the 150 once you get use to it forget about it. It's will balanced and if you need a lite rotary work hit the button on go top notch tool, it's worth the investment.

wytstang
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I have had a chance to compare vibrations of PC, UDM, and Festool RO 150 FEQ this weekend. PC was brand new 7336SP (6" counterweight) with 5" backing plate and 5" CCS pad. UDM was, to keep apples to apples, with "same" backing plate and pad. Rotex was with their supersoft 6" backing plate and same kind of pad as PC/UDM but in 6".

On each of 3, 4, 5, and 6 settings UDM was more pleasant to work with than PC. I spent 5 hours working with UDM today. My arm did not hurt nor tingle afterwards. My elbow (I have chronically injured righ elbow and I am rightie) was not getting irritated even though it gets irritated easily. When it comes to vibrations between PC and UDM give me UDM anytime.

Between UDM and Festool Festool's vibrations were ... well ... that thing almost doesn't vibrate. I mean, it does vibrate but it is nothing compared to UDM. In vibration category RO 150 FEQ is clear winner with huge lead. And it better be for money it costs.
Thank you for keeping us updated, I actually reorder a PC but had a change of heart had Megan was nice enough to stop the order and switch it to the UDM. So I am very happy to see more postive feedback. Thank you :applause:

Mike T
07-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the review.
How about the noise between the three?

cruzin61
07-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm going to butt-in on this topic, hopefully with a somewhat related question. I just ordered a new UDM and appreciate hearing the comparison results. Now let me show my ignorance. Are there any places on a vehicle that you should NOT use a polisher? For instance do I dare use it on my 'Vettes bumpers?, or side moldings or other non-metal parts? I remember asking someone why he taped certain sections that he did not want the polisher to touch and I remember the answer was that you stay away from the plastic stuff. Do I remember correctly? They use so much plastic these days seems it might be easy to mistake it for the real thing, eh? Thanks for the help.:o

ZoranC
07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the review.
How about the noise between the three?
Anytime :) Noise on UDM is bit less than on PC, noise on Festool is again in completely different league, way less, different frequency.

Thejoyofdriving
07-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm going to butt-in on this topic, hopefully with a somewhat related question. I just ordered a new UDM and appreciate hearing the comparison results. Now let me show my ignorance. Are there any places on a vehicle that you should NOT use a polisher? For instance do I dare use it on my 'Vettes bumpers?, or side moldings or other non-metal parts? I remember asking someone why he taped certain sections that he did not want the polisher to touch and I remember the answer was that you stay away from the plastic stuff. Do I remember correctly? They use so much plastic these days seems it might be easy to mistake it for the real thing, eh? Thanks for the help.:o
I think it would be ok to hit all parts of the car with a DA, with a rotary, its a diffrent story, you can burn plastic trim . Also, if i am not mistaken, the vetts are made of fiber glass, i dont know about the bumpers.

coupe
07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
I think it would be ok to hit all parts of the car with a DA, with a rotary, its a diffrent story, you can burn plastic trim . Also, if i am not mistaken, the vetts are made of fiber glass, i dont know about the bumpers.

Ya know its posts like this that kinda upset me. This is what turns people away from the rotary. Whats even more upsetting is your giving advice like that and you have never even used one.

Thejoyofdriving
07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Ya know its posts like this that kinda upset me. This is what turns people away from the rotary. Whats even more upsetting is your giving advice like that and you have never even used one.

Hey, i am just trying keep things down to earth, and out of lala land. If you know how to use a rotary, it is the ultimate tool, if you dont, it CAN be a disaster, you CAN mess up, and damage something. with a DA it is virtualy imposible. There is nothing to get upset about, i just want to make sure people are aware of the risks, and that they dont do "hey that looks easy, im gonna try it:D!" and then followed by " oh no, what happened, no one told me this can happen:(" i am not trying to turn people away, just inform them.

pirex
07-02-2007, 04:56 PM
A rotary is nothing to be scared from! I used the PC for about 1,5 month, and jumped over to a metabo! And guess what...I LOVE IT!! :D Its not like you will burn in anyway! You just have to think about what you are doing!

ScottB
07-02-2007, 04:59 PM

I used my PC on all areas of my C5 ... was a little tight on the body side moldings (4 inch pads fit perfectly) and around the side mirrors. I taped the glass surrounds and payed some extra attention on the front facia as it shakes like the devil.

Thejoyofdriving
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
A rotary is nothing to be scared from! I used the PC for about 1,5 month, and jumped over to a metabo! And guess what...I LOVE IT!! :D Its not like you will burn in anyway! You just have to think about what you are doing!h

Great, i am happy for you, truthfuly. But, there are accidents, they happen, you dont plan for them, you can do 1000 cars and never have a problem, or you can do 1 and you can damage the paint.

blkexcoupe
07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
My UDM ships tomorrow. Im the MANI was going to buy my first PC, but my friend was trying to talk me into getting a rotary, and we ended up deciding with me buying a UDM. The reason being when he first started using a rotary he constantly had to use the PC to correct the hallograms, and I assumed the same would happen to me when I start, so instead of buying 2 machines I went with just the UDM(for now). It's true the rotary is nothing to be scared of, but it does take practice to make perfect.

cruzin61
07-02-2007, 05:51 PM
My UDM ships tomorrow. Im the MANI was going to buy my first PC, but my friend was trying to talk me into getting a rotary, and we ended up deciding with me buying a UDM. The reason being when he first started using a rotary he constantly had to use the PC to correct the hallograms, and I assumed the same would happen to me when I start, so instead of buying 2 machines I went with just the UDM(for now). It's true the rotary is nothing to be scared of, but it does take practice to make perfect.
Well, I chose the UDM (which also ships tomorrow!:awesome: ) because of the threads I read and the sales pitch about "hard to screw anything up with an orbital". I didn't consider a rotary 'cause I don't trust myself with one mainly because I don't have any where near the experience of some of my fellow forum members. I do, however, certainly appreciate ALL the valuable comments everyone gave me:applause: and hope I didn't stir up the hornets!
PS to killerwheels: I got a lot out of your "How To" on using a PC some months back and appreciate the Vette comments, but as good as your Vette looks, I do miss your playmate!