PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Adds

Pages : [1] 2

bsmith0404
01-08-2014, 12:21 AM
This is a detailing 101 lesson for anyone thinking of or already doing advertising on sites like craigslist. I've heard about people placing adds on craigslist before, have never really looked at any of the adds before. Tonight I decided to see what was out there.

What I found: many, many adds that are poorly written, offering services such as a "full detail" for $65 which include processes such as "wash, wax, and topped with an instant detailer". People selling themselves by enticing potential customers with catch phrases such as "I really like cars". Standard pricing by vehicle size, sight unseen.

Another point I noticed was the tone of many of the adds. The word choice made any of the detailers sound desperate for work. What does that tell you? It tells me they don't do quality work.

Of course my favorite was "I provide the best detailing service in XX city". This claim was accompanied by two, poor quality, photographs and no company name.

I personally don't like this type of advertising, but if you ever decide to post an add on a site like craigslist, do yourself a favor and have it proof read by multiple people. Get feedback from fellow detailers who understand the business as well as someone who doesn't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel. This will make sure your add is well written from the point of view of someone who knows as well as someone who doesn't have a clue about detailing.

Pureshine
01-08-2014, 12:49 AM
I have never used craigslist and probably wouldn't seems like most detailers on there are hacks from what I've seen.

hernandez.art13
01-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Idk, this is might just be me, but I pretty much don't trust craigslist. I am sure there are some legit ones out there, but I would not risk finding a needle in a haystack on craigslist.

bsmith0404
01-08-2014, 07:02 AM
I feel the same way which is why I've never used craigslist or even looked at the adds before. Curiosity got the better of me so I checked them out and my feelings were confirmed.

I did find one add that was decent, not good, but decent. Then I found another add in a different town 50 miles away that used the exact same words, formatted a bit differently. The person worked out of his garage and had different contact info. I'm assuming someone liked the add so he copy and pasted it into his own add, word for word including the background experience. I guess it's possible they were siamese twins recently separated and striking it out on their own.

maxcustody
01-08-2014, 07:42 AM
I agree..........however you will have plenty of people falling for their sales pitch, because they do not know what a good wash and detail actually is

parttimer
01-08-2014, 08:07 AM
I have done a few posts on CL, never got a response yet. I did read what others posted, most have no pictures, poor spelling and grammar. Most also see like a jack of all trades guy, someone who while doing your "breaks" will buff out your car. I have some purchases off CL as well, haven't been jacked yet.

jwgreen6
01-08-2014, 08:16 AM
I used craigslist for the first time last summer and garnered some success with my ad. One customer chose me over the "others" because I had photos of my work, a clear description of my services and came across as a credible business. Another customer hired me based on my craigslist ad to wash his 80+ cars he was selling at an annual auto auction nearby.

A quality craigslist ad can make a difference.

HUMP DIESEL
01-08-2014, 08:18 AM
And this is what we have to deal with on a day to day basis, the "hacks" as they were called ruin a legitimate detailer especially in a smaller market or a lower socio-economic market where expendable money is hard to come by. I had this same thing happen to me all the time when I had my mobile business, always trying to justify my pricing, when the "hack with a hose" will do it for pennies because they are only looking for what they can make that day. I see it alot where I live.

HUMP

GenesisCoupe
01-08-2014, 08:19 AM
The only time i've used Craigslist was when i offered detailing lessons at $20 an hour. I did that for about a month;got no bite so i gave up completely.

I do know what you mean though, many places offer such services which just makes me shake my head is dissapointment.

hamlyn
01-08-2014, 08:35 AM
I believe any exposure, whether on Craigslist, Facebook, blog, or other website is good exposure. As long as it generates traffic/revenue, i believe it can be successful.
To call a detailer a hack and unqualified, simply because his ad is poorly designed, may be considered unfair judgement, especially if you have not personally inspected the advertiser's work.
One can go as far as to state all poor spellers can't detail worth a lick, and that would be wrong, too, as one (spelling) has nothing to do with the other (detailing).
I do agree, however, that proper spelling and a well laid out ad can garner some confidence in the potential customer.

215Detailing
01-08-2014, 09:03 AM
I believe there could be legit ADS on craigslist with legit professionals, but most people are SO CALLED BARGAIN SHOPPERS on sites such as CRAIGSLIST that is part of why they have sites such as ANGIES LIST. Most looking for detailing services are looking for the CHEAP which may equal lack of skill, lack of knowledge, subpar products and quick service with cheap tools/equipment. Most CAR WASHERS advertise on craigslist are looking for the quick money, Don't care about skill, products or really customers, now I use craigslist from time to time I post MY PHOTOS not photos from others I post my website as well I may use CRAIGSLIST to get new customers and run a DISCOUNT for a limited time, but what I have found is most want the $10.00 Deal: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/44091-10-00-hand-car-wash-detailers.html
And since these $10.00 CRAIGSLIST CAR WASHER will do it every day for that rate it maes a more difficult on the TRUE ENTHUSISAT/PROFESSIONAL
I know of several shops in my surrounding area that don't even try to charge at the least $20.00 for an EXTERIOR WASH ONLY they will settle for $10.00 or $15.00 just to make rent plus have a crew working n their shop

bsmith0404
01-08-2014, 09:14 AM
I used craigslist for the first time last summer and garnered some success with my ad. One customer chose me over the "others" because I had photos of my work, a clear description of my services and came across as a credible business. Another customer hired me based on my craigslist ad to wash his 80+ cars he was selling at an annual auto auction nearby.

A quality craigslist ad can make a difference.

Which goes back to my OP, if you choose to place an add, make sure it is professional.

As others have stated, most people on CL are looking for a bargain, but you are proof, that not everyone is looking for ONLY cheap, quality does matter to some.

I haven't looked at anything on Angie's List, but would venture to guess information contained there is much better

Just02896
01-08-2014, 09:29 AM
I agree that Craigslist is a place where "bargain shoppers" go to find dirt cheap deals. I also see many ads that are just thrown together and are poorly written both in design and grammar. I personally will overlook ads like this since the odds are that the owner of the ad isn't as meticulous as I myself am. With that being said, Craigslist for the most part is a crapshoot and I choose not to shop or advertise there. On the flip side, I'm sure there are many reputable businesses who choose to advertise on Craigslist but like I said, weeding through all the ads to find them is just too time consuming for many.

hamlyn
01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Many here seem to be preoccupied with detailers that charge excessively low fees to wash, wash, detail cars. I don't believe one should focus on these, as they are not your competition. Some restaurants charge $7 for a steak in a comparison to others that charge $50. You should be focusing on your business model and let the low-ballers do their own thing. Concentrate on your market segment and let the customer looking for a $10 wash, wax, detail go to the one selling it. That customer, most probably, would never pay your asking price. Better yet, he will have learned a valuable lesson from the so-called hack job and seek you out to correct what the other detailer ruined.
The restaurant selling $50 steaks knows it may not get the business of the customer looking to spend $7.

ken tuep
01-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Very well said!^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online