PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Car Washes when Hand Washing isn't an Option?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mdgrwl
01-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Right now its 6 degrees out and hand washing just isn't an option and the car is filthy. What do you guys do in these situations?

Do you use Auto Car washes knowing you'll have to do a correction when it warms up?

peter hurcos
01-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Nah. I would just sweat it out. If you have access to an insulated garage, a coin op hosing off with plain water followed by a rinseless wash indoors is an option.

jankerson
01-07-2014, 11:00 PM
If it's a touchless then it's OK...

If not then one of the Coin User washes are fine, just spray the car down to get the junk off it.

FUNX650
01-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Right now its 6 degrees out and hand washing just isn't an option and the car is filthy. What do you guys do in these situations?

Do you use Auto Car washes knowing you'll have to do a correction when it warms up?
I try to get rid of the road-salts/ice-melts any way I possibly can...ASAP!!

Possible correction-choices:
Some swirls vs. rusting vehicle panels.

Bob

mdgrwl
01-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Lately I'm not letting my swirl-fobia get the best of me. I do an early spring polish anyway...

HUMP DIESEL
01-08-2014, 08:13 AM
No touch would be an option, but if it has been a while, the pre-soak dwell will streak more than pull off the major stuff. I also think due to dwell time and through put, alot of the no touch system are chemically heavy.
I would go the coin op way and make sure I just knocked off the major loose stuff. Another option would be to find a shop that might let you use an indoor bay. Some of the larger rental companies for large box trucks have a wash bay.

HUMP

KneeDragr
01-08-2014, 08:14 AM
They have a touchless 'Laser Wash" near my office so thats where I go. It will take off a tough wax or sealant in 2-3 washes but its better than nothing.

TB88
01-08-2014, 08:43 AM
First, wait until the temps get up around 25*-30* before washing then take it to a touchless until it is warm enough to do by hand.

vet
01-08-2014, 08:52 AM
I use the touchless wash once in a while, mainly to get the under car spray. I use the hand held wash more often, just to knock off the worst, then do a rinseless when I get home. When the wind chill is as bad as it has been, it stays dirty.

kevincwelch
01-08-2014, 09:01 AM
An option if you have your own garage: propane heater and ONR. But first, use a coin op to knock the major stuff off.

Dr_Pain
01-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Personally I moved South! Haven't seen snow and road salt in 18 years!

In all seriousness, I am with Bob on this. Road salt needs to be removed ASAP. Just make sure to dry (by hand) all your door gaskets pronto after the wash, wiper blade to prevent some pain in the butt issues

Klasse Act
01-08-2014, 09:49 AM
If you don't have access to a garage the touc-free is the best option but keep in mind that since its touc-free the car will not be completely clean. In all my years of using them I've noticed the windows NEVER come clean, this is why I always use the squeegee to clean all the windows first, then spray some wheel cleaner/tire cleaner/APC on those and then run it through. Now, you may be tempted to dry the car but DO NOT DO THIS, the dirt is still there, especially if the car is VERY DIRTY/SALTY, just let it be. One good thing about a touch-free if you get the best of one just below it is the underbody wash, this is so important where the roads are salted.

Now when its sunny and 35 outside a rinseless wash is the best choice, pre-treating is key, Aqua sponge, mf wash mitt or good grout sponge for washing, 2 buckets and a pair of grit guards are key. The GD method is also option, lots of info on that as well but if you can get into a garage that's insulated and/or you can have heat, this is the best way to go but the use of a quarter wash is key before had or the previously mentioned touch-free is key before the rinseless wash.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

PA DETAILER
01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
NOTHING. i have both coin-op and touchless close by, but choose not to use them. i make sure before winter i put on a good LSP! then when the weather and temps do break, i do a hand wash at home. then will add PRIMA wax as you dry, after winter washes.

Larry A
01-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Hell, I just use a automatic car wash. My concern is a clean car . There is a new car wash in town and I use it. I have to tell you that I dont see any scratches , beleive me I look . Two friends of mine have black cars , one Chevy and one Caddy , and they both look great . They both go to this car wash all the time.

Romans5.8
01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Hell, I just use a automatic car wash. My concern is a clean car . There is a new car wash in town and I use it. I have to tell you that I dont see any scratches , beleive me I look . Two friends of mine have black cars , one Chevy and one Caddy , and they both look great . They both go to this car wash all the time.

When it's new it may be okay. In theory, there's nothing wrong with an automatic car wash. But in practice, grit and dirt can become trapped in the brushes which will smack the side of the car, and it may smear or drag grit across dirty panels. Especially this time of year in northern states where tons of cars are going in filthy. Usually, it'll take a while for the fine swirls and scratches to show up. An automatic won't put deep, through the clear scratches on. But it will put small, fine scratches in over time.