PDA

View Full Version : Show & Shine: Farm Truck meets Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dr_Pain
01-07-2014, 11:33 AM
If you read my last Show 'N Shine, you know that I made a vow to show more "average Joe" type transformation so to inspire. As detailers we have a tendency to show transformation on top end "supercar" which was well maintained and have unlimited funds to beautify, however the meat and potatoes are the limited budget regular car owner who are looking to "fall in love" with their own ride all over again.

The subject of this Show 'N Shine is a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD custom which is used as a FARM TRUCK! It hauls heavy equipment and trailers a helicopter used for spraying sugarcane fields. The owner approached me saying that his beloved truck (which has over 121k+ miles) was in desperate need of some attention and wanted to "make it shine". He admitted that the truck had NEVER been waxed and that it had seen a lot of "suds in a bucket" car washes. I was scared!!

The truck was dropped off and this is what I saw:

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1486680_628016423927402_941460081_n.jpg

Yep, not only are we talking about a work truck but we are talking about a BLACK work truck. My first reaction was "Holy Cow", how am I going to price this to make it affordable and to accomplish the owner's goals.

First thing I did was to wash and clay the truck (see above picture). Once that was accomplished and the wheels and wheel wells (and undercarriage) were cleaned I brought the truck in the shop to inspect it under various lights. As suspected the truck was molested a bit. It had a lot of dings and deeper scratches around the bed because the owner normally has a tank and pump system for his helicopter in the back as well as a fifth wheel hookups (and yes the tailgate was abused). It also had a couple of deeper gouges but nothing that was requiring a repaint, just a little finessing.

Under closer inspection of the paint this is what I saw

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1495530_631590623569982_42820649_n.jpg

and this was one of my 50/50 test spots

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1544469_631590650236646_1572548836_n.jpg

Obviously I could not make the paint "flawless" because of the depth and variety of the defects but I made it as close to 80% as I could. The process involved a Rupes 21 and GG6 both equipped with orange LC flat pads and my trusty PF2500 and FG400. I did try using the megs MF pads and yellow LC flat pads but it created some nasty micro marring which would have required me to do a 2 step compound/polish. The orange pads and Menzerna product allowed me to do a single step process with some minor technique (machine and hand speed) adjustment during my 6 passes. :buffing:

Since the owner admitted that he will not be planning on waxing the truck periodically, and will continue frequenting the car wash I made a plan to use the Pinnacle surface coating. This will offer him a lasting protection and the increase gloss will give him an incentive to better maintain his truck. I did suggest that instead of using the "scratch and swirl" car wash that he should use the touchless, which he was receptive to. I also offered to maintain the truck quarterly. Only time will tell though.

So what kind of results did I achieve???? It was a nasty overcast weekend with periodic downpour so I started taking the glamor shots indoors

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1544945_631590250236686_50241496_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1507604_631590593569985_420304846_n.jpg

I did eventually bring the truck out for a few picture but as I did it started misting (.... and yes I did allow a minimum of 12 hrs before exposing the truck to moisture)

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1521909_631590516903326_1467480877_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1521862_631590546903323_1417796847_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1545001_631590613569983_1645841166_n.jpg

So does the Pinnacle product work well?? I was very pleased to see the hydrophobic qualities of the product first hand, with even the lightest mist. Small tight and high bead which shedded off the paint with the slightest breath. I've seen plenty sealants and waxes that would not come close to that level of hydrophobia with just a light misting.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/603917_631590426903335_1992532321_n.jpg

Before someone highjacks the thread I will preemptively answer YES to the question: "You do know that beads does not equal protection, right?" but will offer that any product which serves to expedite water off the paint is quality protection in my book..... and Pinnacle BL coating is quality protection in my book!

Here is a final shot of the truck!

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1544573_631590363570008_535863161_n.jpg

I hope you enjoyed. I wish I had some sun shots but..... So was the owner pleased?? I hate boasting about getting the WOW factor but he was so thrilled that we received a $350 tip on a slightly discounted bill (I had given him the friends and family discount!). He insisted on paying full regular price and added a bonus on top of that! Talk about jaw to the ground! In any case, we have his wife's car on the schedule for a coating!!

Feel free to leave a comment and/or ask questions

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Claude, you were supposed to fix that truck not get him a new one! LOL!

When I saw the thread pop up, I knew it was going to be good and you didn't disappoint. Simply stunning!

01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Awesome work Claude :xyxthumbs:

KMG
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Great turn around! I love that 50/50 shot. I am sure the owner was quite happy with the outcome.

Hoytman
01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
That sure is a lot of truck to polish. Very nice work.

Dr_Pain
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Claude, you were supposed to fix that truck not get him a new one! LOL!

When I saw the thread pop up, I knew it was going to be good and you didn't disappoint. Simply stunning!

LOL!! Thanks Mike.... Funny enough, that was his exact reaction. What I did not share were the interior pictures. We (little Claude and I) spent 5 hrs on the interior alone, which included 1hr just on vaccuming all the dirt, grass out of the nooks and crannies. I had to use my air gun to blow all the accumulated "junk" from under the seats and seat railings, as well as all possible corners, cleats, crevisses etc.... I made a promise to the owner not to show the inside, but lets say the transformation was "radical" inside and out!

Awesome work Claude :xyxthumbs:

Thanks!

bsmith0404
01-07-2014, 12:37 PM

For sure! I have a 2011 duramax and can tell you from experience it's a lot of truck. Mine is in great shape and requires only light maintenance, this thing was straight up NASTY! GREAT JOB.

ph16
01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Looks Awesome! What a transformation from the original.

I've been trying for some time now to get the hang of using Menz polishes but I just haven't mastered them yet. I hope you don't mind me asking a couple questions. I recently bought FG400 and used it on my tailgate. I couldn't get more than 2 sections done before needing a clean (hybrid) pad. I don't have the cleaning brush so I tried using a towel but the Flex was too powerful for this to be effective. When you used FG400 (and PF2500 for that matter) what did you prime the pads with? About how many sections could you do before needing to clean (wash) your pad or switch to a new one? I know you're supposed to clean after every section. When I used FG400 I primed the pad with FG400; working it in to the pad with my fingers. Then used 2 pea sized drops to polish. I know some here at AGO have primed their pads with something else when using Menz polishes. I was just wondering what you did?

Paul Mitchell
01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Great job Claude! I prefer to see the hard driven vehicle transformation from a disaster to a "like new" vehicle. Keep up the good work.

David at LC Pads
01-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Nice work :props: What a turn around!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
I've been trying for some time now to get the hang of using Menz polishes but I just haven't mastered them yet. I hope you don't mind me asking a couple questions. I recently bought FG400 and used it on my tailgate. I couldn't get more than 2 sections done before needing a clean (hybrid) pad. I don't have the cleaning brush so I tried using a towel but the Flex was too powerful for this to be effective. When you used FG400 (and PF2500 for that matter) what did you prime the pads with? About how many sections could you do before needing to clean (wash) your pad or switch to a new one? I know you're supposed to clean after every section. When I used FG400 I primed the pad with FG400; working it in to the pad with my fingers. Then used 2 pea sized drops to polish. I know some here at AGO have primed their pads with something else when using Menz polishes. I was just wondering what you did?

I am using a 3401, hybrid pads as well as the Menzerna line up.

When I am using, I first prime my pad with just a mist of a pad conditioner and add 5-6 drops around my pad. I also never exceed speed 4 on the machine. This route has giving me the best results.

scshaysc
01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Beautiful work! I like the "average Joe" transformations the best. Thanks for sharing.

ph16
01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I am using a 3401, hybrid pads as well as the Menzerna line up.

When I am using, I first prime my pad with just a mist of a pad conditioner and add 5-6 drops around my pad. I also never exceed speed 4 on the machine. This route has giving me the best results.

Thank you so much.

Dr_Pain
01-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Great turn around! I love that 50/50 shot. I am sure the owner was quite happy with the outcome.

Thanks! The owner was very happy indeed

It was a lot of truck but 2 bodies compounding made the process a lot less painful!

For sure! I have a 2011 duramax and can tell you from experience it's a lot of truck. Mine is in great shape and requires only light maintenance, this thing was straight up NASTY! GREAT JOB.

Thanks... and totally agree that with a little maintenance you can avoid a lot of headaches!

Great job Claude! I prefer to see the hard driven vehicle transformation from a disaster to a "like new" vehicle. Keep up the good work.

Those dramatic transformations are fun.... but man do you put a lot of pressure to deliver. A black work truck is a lot different of a beast as a white work truck since black will show everything (and the stuff left behind). Only salvation we have in those 80% transformation is that we are normally the only ones that seem to see the 20% left behind :)

Nice work :props: What a turn around!

Thanks! I appreciate the comment!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much.

No problem.

Another thing is that I cut back my drops after each section. So I start with 6 and polish, next section would be five drops, then next 4 and then 3. After the fourth section and 3 drops, I clean the pad and then start over. Only when starting over no additional pad conditioner. I just use this on a dry pad at first.

The same applies when I run SF4000, only I run this combo at speed 5.

I hope you don't mind me going off topic in your thread Cluade.